don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Agreed. I'm surprised how nice it sounds without the show's sound effects and voices playing over it.

2. AOSTH Eggman Rulz...Damn is he fat though...

3. SatAM Robotnik is where its at.

4. I didnt like him, he seemed a bit generic.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I personally think they should start going by his full name again, like Adventure did. Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.
    lol no

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    As I've said several times already, Eggman was never used as a nickname. The Japanese version of the game never makes a single reference to the Robotnik moniker, which means the entire usage of Eggman as a nickname was localized trash. It never happened. Please stop saying this.

7. MastaSys

MastaSys

Actually the only times he goes by that tittle (Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik) name is comics and some Sonic 1 Re-releases.

Of course you get more mentions if you include Dr. Eggman (AKA Dr. Robotnik) or Dr. Robotnik (AKA Dr. Eggman)
    (Being mentions that use the two names.)

@Tweaker
    Yes Robotnik was originally an name made for localization, and if there is an name more true than the other versions for the game character, is Eggman (Since it's from Oshima).
    However recent profiles shows that it's really an nickname/alias. (Retcon that way I guess... good choice I guess nobody have "Eggman" as an real name.)
    Those recent profiles state the name as Robotnik or Unknown.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I still agree with whoever said that Rock Man is still called Mega Man, Puck Man is still called Pac Man, and Koopa is still called Bowser. There's no reason whatsoever for Eggman not to be called Robotnik.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Wait what, I thought they called him Robotni- oh fuck, my mistake. I was going by the cutscene where Sonic and Tails first meet Robotnik in Adventure. Nevermind, you're right.

Well then if it never actually did happen in the games, I think it should now.

10. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

That doesn't make any sense. You'd think that for someone who is so passionately talking about how he should be called Robotnik that you were aware that this is a matter of nomenclature, not what incarnation should be used to represent Sonic's rival and villain. I suppose some more evil looking Motobugs are in order as well if the SatAM Robotnik is "where it's at", right?

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Fleetway Robotnik could kill him in his sleep and you know it, Kuta.

12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

It was "Robotnik" in EUROPE [ South America too?], and not just the U.S.

/littlebutveryimportantfact

I like "Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik" myself. Keeps Eggman as a nickname, acknowledging Robotnik as a proper name without removing it from the equation.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think I'll just quote Nineko on this:
    So, what, are you going to call Catterkillers "Nal"s?

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nal is the original name of it, whether or not I agree to use it. So yes, that is technically more proper.

As for Robotnik Winter, it's the exception and not the rule. I don't know why it's used, but I would hardly take a one-off 8-bit spinoff series as some sort of definitive proof that Robotnik was always the name of the character as it was originally designed, especially given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary in the main series of games. Besides that, it was planned and designed by Aspect, not Sonic Team—there was no actual Sonic Team involvement in the game. Any inconsistencies weren't caused by the actual origin of the character. That'd be like saying that Robotnik being used in SatAM would suddenly make it the real name of the character in the main game series. It's not.

15. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Eggman works only as a nickname.

HOWEVER, the problem is that past Sonic Adventure Eggman was being treated as his main name. I don't care if it was the original name, Tweaker. Most of the Japanese concepts were shit anyways. Madonna (AKA Elise the Furry (AKA Alix Henriol)), anyone?

The thing is, I find it degrading that a big time super villain who kidnaps little animals, puts them in robots, and forces them to do his bidding is calling himself by a degrading name that satirizes his physique instead of a name that perfectly describes him in Russian/Turkish(?) language as "Slave Worker".

Besides Robotropolis/Metropolis is a much better name for a city than EGGMANLAND.

16. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Oh, so I guess Rockman, Blues, Dr. Right (debatable, as there is no "l" sound in Japan), Forte, Koopa, and all of the japanese names for the Pokemon are all the proper names for them? Is that what you're getting at?

I understand what you're getting at, but the same thing happened with these characters. They were created under those names in Japan, then given localized names when they were brought over. Robotnik is no different. So if you wanna start calling Ivusaur "Fushigisou," then be my guest.

17. It was Robotnik here in Brazil, probably in the rest of South America too. I guess that for most countries it's easier to work with material in english, which is such a common language, than in japanese.

I don't really care what he's called now. I don't like most of the new games, so what they call the fat villain is the least of my problems. I guess that what matters to me is that most of the classic games didn't even mention either name (Wing Fortress and Robotnik Winter being the exceptions).

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Basically, yes. If you had not known about the original names in the case of Mega Man, would you have ever known that all the characters' names were musical puns? It's even more idiotic that they kept Roll when the name was literally based off the pun "Rock & Roll." That's actually a good example of why it irritates me—that whole little creative touch was completely lost in translation, and there was absolutely no need for it to. It was completely unnecessary.

You're missing the point entirely. There's preference, and there's fact. You can call it whatever the fuck you want, but then you shouldn't go around making factual claims which, quite frankly, are not true. Localization is fucking stupid and the idea of arbitrary changes by people who apparently have sentient knowledge of what "appeals" to people in other regions is both pretentious and idiotic. I don't like when the original nature of something is changed and I end up not knowing what it was really like. This is a bad enough problem with dubbed versions of anime and other things, and it's no less irritating when it comes to Sonic.

Familiarity should not take precedence over factual accuracy. The most irritating part is that this argument would be taking the other side if Eggman was the localized name and Robotnik was the original one. It's more about nostalgia then what's right, honestly.

19. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    But why does localization make it less right? For decades now Scrooge McDuck has been Patinhas McPato in Portuguese speaking countries. And so what, Italians are idiots for having Paperino instead of Donald? It ends up as preference. Yes, the character was developed as Eggman. Then he got the name Robotnik. It happens, characters change, The Doctor in the beginning didn't have lots of details from the last ones. Now, he is Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, as it was shown in various media related to the games and Japan- Sonic X, Riders, etc. Both names are correct. He was developed as Eggman, yes, but unless you refuse to call the main character of Star Wars anything but Starkiller, then you have to accept characters are changed with the input of more people than their creators.

Otherwise you'll just be Ken "Anything done by other authors isn't canon I'm butthurt from being fired" Penders.

EDIT: Not saying you're like him, saying your attitude reminds me of him.

And another thing- if a character has a name, but the vast majority of his audience uses another one, what is the correct one? The Doctor was perhaps developed as Doctor Who, I don't know, but no-one calls him that.

20. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Except for the fact that Mega Man's original name, even in the non-JP release was Rock. I do agree, the Mega Man name changes WERE pretty unnecessary, and why they didn't change Roll's name is also beyond me.

And I'm not a huge fan of name changes, either, but I ACCEPT them and don't go marching around and complaining that the companies are "wrong" because they "used a new name."

At the end of the day (how many times has that been used on this forum?) it's a fucking NAME. It shouldn't be considered a key fact in wether something is good or not. I, once again, bring up Koopa -> Bowser and Fushigisou -> Ivysaur. If you were a fan of Mario or Pokemon, would you be doing to these names what you're doing to Robotnik/Eggman/Ivo/Roosevent/whatever?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.