don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

But the name was used in the manuals in the classics, as it's still done now (in the manuals). The name was referenced a lot in the spinoffs, which is what happens in Archie. What's the difference? It's not referened in-game? It was never referenced before either.

You got banned while I wrote this. :psyduck:

2. zemulii

zemulii

What are you trying to point out... That's all a given. I think I was saying that it made no sense in the context of the original series in relation to Sonic 4 (in english). You've said nothing regarding that so why reply? As for your last abusive comment (grow up please, that's not necessary) and your video... sorry, but Sega being too lazy to change one word in the game for the sake of consistency is hardly proof of anything. I hope that was a joke.

Honestly though, he's a fictional character... his "actual name" is whatever the hell you want it to be. It really doesn't matter either way. It's hardly worth arguing about. The only truth is that his "original" name was Eggman and his english localized name was Robotnik. Anything beyond that is just subjective bullshit. For the sake of quality and consistency though, in the english version of Sonic 4 he really should be called Robotnik.

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I can see your point of view yeah, and as I said I don't know how the modern games treat it so if it's in the manuals that's cool. That's why it's still a valid name. Just not a major one is all anymore sadly, depending on POV.

Thanks for sending out Psyduck and having it remove my status effect of BAN btw. :v:

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The thing is that now they have the capacity to put it in game. I also really like how Martin Burke said Robotnik.

5. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

No no no. For the sake of quality and consistency, in the English manuals of Sonic 4, he really should be called Robotnik. :v:

6. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    [​IMG]

While not DIRECTLY related, I think they do a pretty good job on how it should be handled in the Archie Comics.

7. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think it's even worse, Jullian Kintobor (Kintobor is really an stupid name without sense... IMO Robotnik... backwards... ) as a real name and "Ivo Robotnik" and "Eggman" both alias...

The games only needed more direct mentions of Robotnik as an "Name-in-law/Birth Name"

(And those eyes are too Americanized for my tastes, but that's my opinion, the normal blue eyes premise suit well in the game's Doctor.)

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    You missed the point here- he means the games should use the "my name is Robotnik... Sonic called me Eggman... I turned it back, adopted the name and attacked him with it!" logic.

EDIT: And don't be dissing Kintobor, man! He's part of the best origin story Sonic had!

9. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.

Really, he only used the last name "Kintobor" in the fleetway series iirc (which is even less with the games canon than Archie IMO. Not that Archie is very canon at all either.)
    He used Julian in both Archie and Fleetway. Also those are his glasses/goggles. He never takes them off in the games. At least if my memory is correct. Look at the last panel and you'll see what I mean. Archie safely assumed that those are glasses and I think they might be right. Cartoon characters often don't have pupils shown through their eye glasses.

Anyways, I've missed a lot of issues. That's why I stopped reading after issue 201 because I couldn't find time or transportation to get the next issue and I finally just let myself go. Archie's series is a very nice one and I really miss reading it. Speaking of which, I have Preview issues 0 through 2 of the Archie comics series. If I had a scanner, I'd scan them and have somebody add them to the wiki.

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

No, Kintobor is used in Archie as well, actually every member of his family in the comics use that name (except Gerald, that in the comics is an Grandfather of the mother side, and there is where comes Robotnik in the comic plot.)
    Maybe you're making confusion with Satam, where it was really just Julian.
    (This is what I get from the wiki info, I'm not an reader of the comics.)

And while Robotnik is the origin of the word Robot and means "Worker"
    Kintobor, sounds weird and just doesn't mean nothing...

(And Fleetway is more similar to the games in some stuff that you might think.)

You mean fleetway right?
    I didn't read it enough for an fair judgment of the character, but from what I saw it was disappointing change the game based design to the AOSTH based design, but it's really only the design...

11. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    NO NO ALL WRONG

First, Fleetway is much, MUCH closer to the games Archie ever was.

Second, Robotnik never used Julian in Fleetway. He was Ovi Kintobor, then the ROCC had an accident, and he became Ivo Robotnik.

Third, he was Warlord Julian Kintobor in Archie, then as he did the coup, he became Ivo Robotnik

Fourth, MastaSys was talking about Sonic 360 where because of camera angles you could see Eggman's eyes behind the glasses sometimes.

Fifth, while Fleetway also uses this origin story, it is the "canon" origin story for Sonic in Europe anywhere, as proven by the novels, and game books.

Sixth, while at first I was also sad they changed Robotnik to his AoSTH design, the way Richard Elson draws him, he looks evil and scary anyways.

Yes, Fleetway made AoSTH Robotnik look evil and scary. That's how good Elson is.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I still would've preferred the original Robotnik design for Fleetway rather than using the AOSTH design. It just looks alot more accurate and awesome. :v:

13. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Well technically, the AoSTH one was the most accurate. Anywhere you turned to, from comics to books to toys, it was the design used. So... yeah.

14. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    I only knew him as Dr. Robotnik (or as egg belly in AoStH :P) for years. I don't think I even heard the name 'Eggman' until Sonic Adventure.

But yeah, I voted for Dr. Robotnik.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The sad part is that everybody considered AoSTH Robotnik as the more well-known version of him. It would've been much better if they just would've kept him like his original design so that he would at least be as decent as the games design-wise.

Sure, I liked Milton Knight's Robotnik design quite a bit, but it was more for his personality than his looks. AoSTH Robotnik is rather jarring and was the beginning of the terribly off-model Robotniks that the Western world saw splattered on their faces from then until 1999.

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Eggman's eyes can be seen somewhat behind the glass of the spectacles in Sonic Heroes.

Why do people like this so much? It's a terrible insult.

We must have different copies of the first 80 issues of STC. :psyduck:

17. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    I'd like it more if he had a different personality. Something like the Robotnik from 2006, he I can see having the twisted mind to grab a silly insult and turn it to a name that frightens children. Like Voldemort, with the difference one is quite more threathening than the other.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I'll reiterate from the Sonic 4 topic about what I keep telling myself:

[​IMG]

This guy's name is Oswald Cobblepot. "Penguin" was a name people called him in his childhood to make fun of him. It's been suggested that he tried to get rid of the nickname because he hated it, but it became too well-known...so he gave in and decided to use it himself to cash in on its popularity.

Why not the same for Robotnik?

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    This is what I always assumed to be the true in-game explanation.

20. McSnapple

McSnapple

A Misereable Little Pile of Secrets Banned
    Trying to win Blue Sphere...all 100,000,000 + levels...
    Does anybody know where the picture of Robotnik running as fast as Sonic is with the caption said, "lol robot legs!"?

Edit: It's a black and white picture, not my sig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.