don't click here

S1 Hacking Studio

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by vladikcomper, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Create artificial dependencies on a built-in assembler.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I must say it'd be highly amusing to see uninspired games made with a hacked utility.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Unregistered HyperCam2 :V

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Again, I bat against the status quo; I love the idea of this program, and personally want to see it go further, with the enforced "made by a lazy bastard with an app" screen.

But then, I personally wish there was a tool I could lazily drop a midi onto that would give me a nearest-fit YM2612 voice for any midi patch I use so I could spend the time writing music that I would otherwise be using learning to convert it, and a one-click program to import an entire spritesheet instantly over Sonic's frames so I could spend the time drawing it that I would otherwise be using wrestling with SonMapEd's bizarre interface or even an app where I could divide a background into Imageready-eqsue 'slices' for deformation so I could spend time designing and drawing it that would otherwise be spent throwing laptops out of the window whilst I attempt to get my retarded dyslexic head around the subtleties of ASM.

God damn I'm lazy.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Though I totally agree with this:
    I do not with this:
    If every utility would have ingame credits, they wouldn't be used anymore. I'm not sure if other programmers will build this in now, but my utility stays untouched. =P

6. brb making a voice for every instrument in a MIDI environment or however you call it

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Funny story. Usually if a game uses an external library, they put it's logo on the game box and maybe as a screen before the game.

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I mean if those ingame credits are forced, meaning you have no choice if you want them or not. =P

9. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Well then, where do we make the division? What makes one utility something that has to be noted, and one not? So far as I recall, ESE II has a tool to easily change the level names. So if that was used, it wouldn't have to be credited, but if this was used, it would?

Personally, I think it'd just be a classy move to credit everything used. Maybe it's unrealistic.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Been doing that since months ago: soniNeko#Features.

11. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The program leaves hints that it was made with S1 Hacking studio in the game already, anyway; like the life monitor icon, multiple jump-dashes, slightly imperfect music ports, etc. Personally I'm taking no shame in using this tool, I needed a spindash in S1, but can never get asm right. This lets me focus more on layouts and art.

12. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    That's because S1 and S3K sound drivers are different. I think that's because S1 driver has less DAC samples.
    And I am very bad at music hacking, all my music ports are done with ESE Sound Porter.

Yes :)
    Those, who want, can add more DAC samples and port the rest of music.

This is a good idea.
    However I can't do it because I've stopped working on project. (Maybe for a while)
    But hacks made in S1 Hacking Studio have some differences already. For example, red Sega logo and different sonic pallete, buggy Spin Dash and Jump Dash. :thumbsup:

13. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Awesome. I had an idea very similar to this a while back. I wanted to make a program that would automatically add things like spindash, homing attack, peel-out, elemental shields, and so on with the click of a button. I had the rom hacking know-how, I just didn't have the programming know-how to make it. Besides, when I suggested the idea, everyone raged at me. I'm glad someone else is doing it though.

In all honesty, features don't make a game. With tools like this, we're certainly sure to see a barrage of terrible hacks by people with absolutely no rom hacking ability. But really, Sonic 06 had most of the features of Sonic Adventure 2 (and then some), and there's no question about which is the better game, is there? Just because people use this doesn't instantly make their game bad. Regardless of whether tools made for simplicity and convenience exist (such as this), good games will always stand out, while the crap will be forgotten, as it should be.

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Very nicely said

15. I Really like this editor. I can barely use a graphics editor for S1, and soniced won't run on my computer (at least, when I started it a few months ago). This is as close as I can get to getting a spin dash or jump dash into a game. The "americans goal" speech was actually pretty truthful (most of the major hackers in SMWC, coincidentally, are not from america, *coughcoughcanadiansnncoughcough*); we americans want it done, no matter what it takes. If it is cheap and lame but it get's the job done, we do it. I do agree, though, that the sonic 3 sprites look out of place when running, and maybe you can fix that (I guess a hex edit could make the running animation to 6, but I don't know). Otherwise, try to pick out the constructive critisism from what most of these guys are saying- try not to hear their "OMG THIZ IZ LAMEZ!!1!1" comments. (there are 2 kinds of comments- constructive, and lame.)

Tl;Dl version- This is a great editor, and let no one else tell you differently.

16. 1337rooster

1337rooster

Having all the tools in one place like this is wonderful.

Great work :).

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I see nothing wrong with a tool like this. Those who have the knowledge will continue to make quality hacks, and those who don't can make better hacks than they could before by editing mere palettes and graphics. I liken it to the Guitar Hero custom scene - before Guitar Hero Explorer, one had to inject their custom content into an already existing ISO and thus were limited. After GHex, it was possible for idiots to make shitty custom discs, yeah, but it was also possible for those who knew what they were doing to achieve some of the process in an easier and simpler form, with more features, and they could focus more on the content instead of the modding process.

18. And this is why we no longer program games in Assembler unless it's for small/older hardware. Why bother getting that %0.2 quality or speed increase when you can focus more on making a good end product? Anything that can cut out small tedious tasks helps in the end. It's just good to know what you're doing in case tools fail you somehow. Which is why I'm trying how to do things manually before using too many tools.

19. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Loled at people going bawww tools r make people lazy lets keep hacking obscure.

I think that, when Windows was made, the elitist pricks of the time were harping on how it would make the new computer users lazy, that people would use computers without understanding how they work, and that it would be much better if things kept being arcane and out of the plebe's reach.

The tools just save some of the hassle of putting features, and shift the focus from the technical effort (oh wow, you put Hyper Sonic in Sonic 1!) to the end product's quality. Which is what most hackers are trying to achieve anyway.

Edit: god I spent like an hour doing the post and it still sucks. Removed the last namedroppage because it was unwarranted anyway.

20. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Brace yourself guys, we've got a profound insight coming up! No matter that it's bumping a month old topic, better late than never and this is bound to completely change the face of the argument which we just put to bed!

Actually, by the looks of things you didn't read it, or if you did you don't understand quite a smattering of basic words, given the way you've failed to grasp any point of the discussion. Incredibly this poor stillborn fetus of a post took you a whole hour - which is why next month I'll be releasing Argument Hacking Studio! Those people that studied hard at learning their own native tongue want to keep arguing obscure! Their days of getting all the limelight with their careful study and their hard work are over! With Argument Hacking Studio you too will be able to make posts that actually contribute to discussion in less than 30 seconds. Nothing could be simpler - even a sandwich could do it.

Oh and I'm going to take a wiiiiiiiild stab in the dark and say that the person you 'name dropped,' before you turned into Captain Courage and edited everything was, hmmm, I dunno, someone really original, probably. Does it start with a T and end in an R? Rhyme with 'sneaker'? Whatever you said about him is probably right. That bastard has done everything he can to 'keep hacking obscure.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.