don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    To be honest, I'm starting to wish I never bothered doing anything for this hack. The only reason I've been ripping art and redrawing it to make new levels is simply because I have too much going on in life to be able to sit down and draw original art like I used to. I put the levels so far together simply so that anyone playing the hack will have something different to look at than the original S1 zones with some layout changes and ASM edits, and I have made a point right from the very start, that I will go back over the zones and do new art for them all, but it'll be at a time when I actually have nothing better to do than sit on my arse drawing little pixels into SonED. As it stands, that won't be for quite some time, as I have other commitments such as a house and a job. If you don't like looking at mixed up art, then quite frankly, don't play it. Nobody is forcing you to.

As for the "lack of effort", all I can say is fuck you. I don't import the art, I draw everything in manually and spent 4 days straight without sleep just putting Misty Maze in alone, so don't say I put no fucking effort in. There's a difference between a lack of effort and a lack of available time, learn the difference.

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Well...I think the art is awesome, and always has been. To be honest, while I played, I did notice somethings from other games, it looked good, and fitted well.

A lot of hacks seem to take music from other sources, but nobody bitches then do they :eng101:

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

This is a pretty old topic. I don't like the "borrowed" art as well, seems lazy and not so exciting. Moreover, I find it ridiculous when it's okay to take content from another Sega game, but when somebody takes anything from another hack the whole community goes "ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL". Looks like double standards to me.

Also, I once got moderated for calling Megamix a "Frankenstein of Sonic games". Good times.

P.S. The bottom line is that the authors of the hack are free to do whatever they wish with their hack. We're not entitled to anything.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'm not seeing much of a problem here. I like how Metallic Base is looking. Sure, it's recycling art, but you can still make a pretty good new meal from left overs, to put it as an analogy.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Geez the art looks good, it doesn't matter if it's original or not. Really if you don't like it, then don't bitch about it and don't play the hack! Even if it's not his original art, it still takes time, effort, and hard work to make a great hack like this. Cut the guy some slack.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Nobody complains about the re-use of sound effects in OFFICIAL titles. No, they rage if they're changed. Double standards.

Personally, as long as the chunks aren't copied verbatim, and the mish-mash is cohesive, yet different enough to make the level feel even "nearly new" then I got no problem with it. Hell, look at Pixel Perfect and it's borrowed Ristar backgrounds. Shit's beautiful, even if I do prefer original content every time. If Stephen's got a REAL LIFE AND EVERYTHING (something that those of you still in mumsydadsyville won't comprehend), there ain't no getting round it.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, this is plain getting fucking ridiculous now.

Allow me to be a bit more blunt--I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU THINK OF THE ART; IT IS STAYING IN BECAUSE WE ENJOY IT. WHINE ABOUT YOUR OWN PHILOSOPHIES TO SOMEONE WHO CARES. WE DO NOT WORK FOR YOU.

I will absolutely NOT have your peoples' constant incessant whining upset and discourage our level artist after we have JUST been making progress for the first time in way too long. As far as I'm concerned, this art is fucking fantastic and I don't give a shit if you share that opinion or not. If you're going to pointlessly throw around semantics and whine just because he didn't draw the pixels himself, then your opinion was never worth shit to us in the first place and as far as I'm concerned you can go eat a dick.

Now, unless you're willing to judge the level art based on what it is, I think we're done with this subject. Jesus christ, you people.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Tweaker why are you even taking this seriously? If you're really satisfied with how it it looks there's no need to even post on it. People'll talk - let em talk. I like spotting stuff from other games when it's mixed in anywho.

9. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I really don't have any problem with the art being recycled, as long as it is recycled well (which is the case for Megamix and Pixel Perfect for example).
    I remember teh first time I was playing the Misty Maze zone, I was completely outstanded by the way the art, even though it came from Sonic CD and Sonic 1, was used to make the zone beautiful (I just wish those crystals from S1 LZ were there too).
    I can say the same for Mettalic Base with those new screens.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    :psyduck:

I'm sorry. I never meant to start this, I love the art as it is and I was just curious because it's been a while since I saw Stephen draw something original. Sorry.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I know I may be drawing fuel to the fire, but it's not my intention. I just want to ask if it would be too time-consuming to improve a little the character sprites, namely Shadow's and Mighty's.

My problem with Mighty is simple- he comes from Knuckles Chaotix, so his sprites are much more smoothly shaded than the other's. You could either smooth out the shading of the others, or reshade Mighty to look more like he came from Sonic CD. But it should technically be better the second option.

As for Shadow, my issue is mainly contrast and shaping- his muzzle hasn't got much contrast, and sometimes the shape of his spines, or feet, is weird (though as it happens during quick animations, I wouldn't care much.) Can't you atleast improve the muzzle contrast?

Unless of course it's all too much of a bother, case in which feel free to ignore me.

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    It's not your fault, you made a valid comment so there's nothing to be sorry for. It's the people who assume I'm a lazy bastard for not designing something new when I've got other commitments that piss me off.

13. Aka Mekon

Aka Mekon

AKA The best Member
    France
    No, I'm just sit on a chair =p
    If you don't want us to criticize your art, why did you, or a member of your team, create a topic about your hack ? We have the rights to give a opinion. Personally I like it, but if someone don't like the art for X or Y reasons, he has the rights to tell you why, without being insulted.

That's all I wanted to say. Just don't insult me if you want to answer me, it's just useless.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Because we as a collective have made a hack of our own desire and free will and felt like sharing it with a community pf people with similar interests. We are under no obligation to share anything with you or anyone else, and we reserve the right to consider—or disregard—any criticism as we please.

That said, the line had been crossed from criticism to downright disrespectful insulting of our level artist solely based on the methods he chose to create the art. I think the idea that he's somehow lazy or any less credible an artist simply because he chose to take different bits and pieces of existing level art and put them together—in a clean and aesthetically pleasing manner, mind you—is beyond ridiculous, and he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment at all. If these people wish to insult our team members and offer destructive criticism that is completely and utterly unhelpful in every sense of the word, then you are god damned right that I will offer the same lack of courtesy in return.

Treat others how you want to be treated or piss the fuck off. We don't exist to cater to anyone and we're not going to take any kind of contrived horseshit that people want to throw our way.

First off, get the notion of "rights" on an internet message board out of your head right now. Your presence on this message board—and, by extension, your ability to post anything on it—is a privilege, not a right. You don't have the right to an opinion, you don't have the right to an account, and you certainly don't have the right to say anything you please on this message board—each of these things are privileges that we give out at our own discretion, and we can take them away at any time for any reason we see fit. This is not a democracy. Heil hitler.

As I said, the line had been crossed from simple criticism—easy to blow off, easy to take with a grain of salt—to outright insulting, which is something I will not tolerate under any circumstances against one of our team members. As far as I'm concerned, immature bullshit like that is not welcome on this message board. If you can't express your opinion reasonably, then you don't get to express it. Very simple.

Nobody will insult you if you don't spew diarrhea of the mouth all over this topic. I suggest considering the scope of the message board before spewing tripe like "rights" next time you post, though. If such a thing as a right to speak existed on message boards, the concept of banning would not have ever come to fruition.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Ok, sorry to butt in with a bit of a stupid question, but are all the levels going to be made of new(I.e; not in Sonic 1) art?

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's the plan, yes. :)

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member

That's sweet! Are you planning on using different day times for the 3 acts as well?

18. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    (Look out for 'teh n00bienes'!)

Anyway: My memory of v4.0 is a little hazy but I have just recently played v3.0. Of what I remember of the two here is what I have to say (I did NOT read the entire thread so I will likely say what has already been said):

The music is, without a doubt, brilliant. My favorite of them being the whole of Misty Maze Zone (From 3.0), Sunset Hill Act 3, and Act 1 and 2 of Metalic Fortress (That's what it's called right?) also from 3.0.

The level art of Misty Maze is just beutiful and I like the art touch-ups of Sunset Hill.

Now for the crticism: The loading times are a little... Long in 4.0 but I guess it's just 'cause its reading from a disc at 2x.

Second: In 4.0 you got the power to use CD quality music... So why dontcha'? 'la-la-loo' (or whatever it's called) from Sonic CD in Act 1 or 3 of Misty Maze maybe? Or Stardust Speedway Bad Future for Metalic Fortress act 1 (or 2) maybe.

Also, as said above: Shadow could do with a little art touch-up but he is still pretty good anyway.

Any particular reason for using Sonic CD's jumping sound effect for the jumping sound effect in Megamix? It sounds a little anoying...

And, at least in v3.0 (might have been fixed in 4.0) when you get a 100 rings and sonic says "yes!" it sounds a little grainy. Probably was fixed in 4.0 anyway.

Feel free to take this all with a grain of salt but I thought I may as well get my opinions out there.

Thank's for reading this.

19. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    And I lol'd in a furious manner.

Anyway, I think that the new art looks pretty good, and hope that we get to see more of this hack at a later date.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    It's Metallic Base.

Pretty much

Tidal Tempest US? Well, overall the team seems to prefer the JPN Sonic CD stuff. However, our CDDA soundtrack will be completely original.

Well, it was a PCM sound to begin with, which often need to be processed at low rates for the hardware.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.