don't click here

Sonic: An Angel of Life

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by CloverCC, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, uh... from what I played of your hack, it was less "incomplete" and more "bad direction." It's fine to say the hack is incomplete—and sure, it may be—but when I think of "placeholders" or something otherwise "incomplete," I think "unchanged," meaning the original material is still intact. If you nearly edit a full layout save for objects, it's not quite as incomplete as you're implying...

I'm hoping you're willing to shape up what you have rather than overhype this. It has potential, but not if you ignore constructive criticism.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Then don't fucking show off videos of your shit if it's still in an incomplete state and if you don't want negative criticism. Clear enough?

3. CloverCC

CloverCC

Things have been worse earlier in progress. It may not seem like it, but I do take criticism, and I use it to any advantage (Especially helped me in overcoming the constant use terrible colors, and gave me a big help on art editing, etc). Those layouts you've played tweaker, like Arcaic Ashes, have been done 3 years ago without any major revamp to them since. Nothing will be that ridiculously hard, everything will be balanced out around. I apologize if I seem to be making repitional patterns also, it's difficult for me to word-out exactly what I mean, and ends up becoming something similar to something I've said before. It's not true, I have been making some beneficial changes to other levels, and I use the word "some" strongly. Once I start something, I can't stop until it's complete, but It's not that I'm completley finished with something if I stop working on it. It again is very complicated to word out exactly what I mean, but All I can say now is I do use criticism alot.

..However, "Shit looks boring" isn't much of any criticism. Maybe a few suggestions, or atleast telling me exactly what does looks boring so I know exactly where to fix or change or whatever. And how the fuck can I get any criticism if I don't have the pictures, and/or video in what I want criticism of in the first place? Chimpo, you're first post actually helped me out a bit. Here's an Example; graveyard garden. More use of color variation, such as the current sunset background scheme. Then, you were pretty much an ass the next time around, and I don't need that unless you've got atleast a tip or suggestion. Clear enough?

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I agree that any posts that basically just say it sucks and such are pointless and don't belong on these forums. Community members are people that do everything in their power to be useful. However bashing something is anything but useful, and I have to question why some of those people are even registered at Sonic Retro. All it does is upset some people and create a very negative atmosphere. However, from what I've seen early in the topic, it appears a lot of people were being fairly nice. I haven't read the whole topic, and thus I'm not pointing to any individuals since I don't know enough about how this eroded. I'm simply trying to shine some light on the importance of a positive, constructive attitude, from EVERYONE!

And I'll be honest, it could definitely use a good bit of work. But keep at it. Be willing to listen to people, regardless if they're mean or nice. Regardless of the tone, some of these people are good assets to have. What I like to see in hacks is levels with completely different art, tile mappings, etc. I don't wanna even recognize the level -- I wanna be guessing as to what level was changed to create the new level. I also like to see some more diversity in color tones that what you show. That's my view of what makes a hack especially appealing. I don't know if that was part of your plans, but that'd be the way I'd go with it. =)

5. CloverCC

CloverCC

I was wondering about some of the replies myself, being way too nice.. When I made sonic - the majestic jjourney (Topic should be around here somewhere), my hack recieved a lot more negative feedback than here, though with some helpful tips embedded within however nasty the responses were. I loved getting criticism like that, but for whatever reason, it took me a video to get that again.

Anyways, You said my intentions better than I ever could, "I wanna be guessing as to what level was changed to create a new level". I've been doing as much as I could, and will continue to do so.. It's just, I have so little time, so it's not like I'm going to ever finish a layout or art change within a day (not even a week).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.