don't click here

Sonic: An Angel of Life

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by CloverCC, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloverCC

CloverCC

Well, I've recentlly been writing out my sonic - an angel of life wiki article on a seperate writing pad on a seperate computer (As I said earlier.. My actual computer has no internet. :p), and started making a few videos (finally), just finishing up the speed demo. There won't be any level-specific videos, but all will be featured, and I plan to have them in categories- Speed Demo, Boss Demo, Port Demo, alpha demo (So you can see what kind of progress I've been making over time :p), and Levels Demo.

And another thing, I've been deciding upon one last major change. I'm possibly going to replace Mystic Massif, because I just don't feel all to comfortable with it looking like Graveyard Garden (The graphics, of course). I'm probably going to shoot for either Sandopolis, Lava Reef act 1, angel Island, Or all three.. And I'm leaning towards all 3 at the moment. :p

2. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    You put so much dedication in your hack, that's why it can be great.

3. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
    Your dedication is beautiful, your art is beautiful... And you as a man, are beautiful...:P

Can't wait to play this, looks to me like one of the best of 2008.

4. CloverCC

CloverCC

:p heh, thanks. As it turns out, I did replace Mystic Massif with Lava Reef zone.. But, a few things were changed even at that;

A. I've decided drop the Angel Island graphics because of a number of reasons. If I had the time, I could, but I'm really trying to get this done by the release for once, which even may extend farther than that. Also, I wanted more variety, because I already have plenty of 'open field' type of levels. I have 2 of atleast most of the major types of levels, except for Aquamarine being the only cavern level. I have plenty of other sky-outer space-themed, I've got the 'fancy' levels (luxurious Lights and Fallen Festival). Also, I was originally going to have the scrolling background for Mystic Massif's clouds be replaced with the water scenes as seen in the introduction to Angel Island on sonic 3.. But then, that would make it look like a complete Carbon-Copy of Fallen Festival's Background, and the whole point of replacing mystic massif was to add more variety as it shared the same graphics as Graveyard garden.

And B. If I could, I'd definatly have Sandopolis.. But as I see it, in order to balance that out, I'd also need a winter level, that is, if I wanted to get everything all evened.. Which I do. So Sandopolis was dropped..

So yeah, It's just going to be Lava Reef act 1, which would have the lava reef act 2 rocks in Spirit star make sense. And As I mentioned, each level plays a very important part of Robotnik's domination that I had intended to create. Wistful wild has lumber for building, Mineral recources in Aquamarine, Oil in oblivious ooze to use as gas, and Fallen festival and Luxurious lights show the aftermah of 7 years of domination (Even robotnik may get bored, and want some fun :p), and I'm going to put these elements in the actual level to hint the player of what's going on.

Some levels later on give hints to the purpose in previous levels, like the rocks in Spirit Star as mentioned (used as a type of power resource).

5. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Don't set deadlines for yourself, it strains on the quality.
    Do what you wish to do and just keep working at your own pace.

6. CloverCC

CloverCC

<!--quoteo(post=215655:date=Aug 11 2008, 04:36 PM:name=Sith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sith @ Aug 11 2008, 04:36 PM) [​IMG]

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

hmm Well it looks really cool, but that video made the game seem extremely linear. If that's the feel you're going for then that's fine. I know I just enjoy having multiple paths to choose from.

8. CloverCC

CloverCC

There are moments that do have multiple paths, and will try to get more in some more in other levels, but right now, I just want to be sure I can make the layouts play out for quite some time. Again, this is just a speed demo, so of course some parts are going to seem linear.. But as for the majority of the game, the levels are massive, in the sense that there will be plenty of open-world travel, aswell as being extremely complex (Even in the actual level editor, I would sometimes get lost and have to use some objects to indicate what leads to what xD)

9. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    As sexy as that is. That is alot, and I mean ALOT of rolling around. I was getting dizzy.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Also a suggestion for when you're making movies, record them first with a fast codec like MJPEG or HUFFYUV (PicVideo's MJPEG is the fastest but is commercial unfortunatly), then later re-encode them to DivX/Xvid/h264/whatever with VirtualDub afterwards. That'll stop your videos being jerky. I personally couldn't stand to watch them, far too many dropped frames.

11. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    He said it's a speed demo, and recorded specific speed bits for this video.
    Having seen a test build I can assure you that this is just a limited portion of the hack.
    There's a lot of challenging platforming in it as well.

12. CloverCC

CloverCC

Correct. While oblivious Ooze act 1 is an incredibly fast-paced level, act 2 has the more challenging and difficult obsticals that actually require thught. :p This especially goes for most of Wistful Wild, andPutrid Polder act 2

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Eh... I hope Sith is right, and that he's not just trying to imitate Sega PR (:v:). What I saw looks very boring, devoid of enemies, gimmicks, or even acceptable object placement. Besides that, good speed sections are not just running around aimlessly in an empty area—it's about timing, quick platforming, and puzzles that take advantage of quick reflexes. That's how we handled the speed in Megamix, and as a result it doesn't seem linear at all.

I don't know, I'm getting a feeling that this hack was severely overrated for the longest time now. If this isn't how the majority of the levels play out, can you make a video of a full level from start to finish? That way we can determine which portion is rolling around aimlessly and which requires actual skill.

14. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Hahaha I lol'd. The 4 layouts Bowser asked me to take a look at are devious I tell ya (or I suck at them :p).

But yes, it's not all great right now. Needs more various palette colors and object cleanup and placement for some real testing of the levels.
    Those leftovers are a pain in the ass and make it look like a mess. Don't worry though, I know Bowser will fix this.
    Also no enemies are in their intended place yet.
    You should completely finish one level with objects and everything before thinking about starting another.

Also Bowser, I told you my opinion is just ONE opinion. You should show your stuff to some more ppl.
    I know Tweaker is trustworthy and if he is willing to take a look at it you will get a harsh but honest opinion out of him. He at least knows what a good game should be like, I don't.

Don't give it to nineko though. *shot*

15. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    I do have to say this is looking pretty good so far. I love what you did with wood zone. How many zones are in this so far?

16. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    The level design doesn't really look fun to play... :/

17. CloverCC

CloverCC

I have 12 finished.

And please, I cannot stress out the fact that this is just a small portion of a few zones, and that no level is entirely consisted of loops, or anything. And Tweaker, There definatly is much variety, and even more so once I begin the object layout. Trust me, what you see are not the entire levels. :p

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Shit looks boring.

19. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    If I was an eight year old, that would be appealing to me.

But I'm not. I'm 18. So as far as level layout, I'm keeping my mouth shut until I see not only the speed sections, but the puzzle/reflex/platforming sections. :x

20. CloverCC

CloverCC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.