don't click here

(OLD - ARCHIVE PURPOSE) Items, Menus, Title Cards & Misc Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Hitaxas, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Is it supposed to look like a balloon? I always thought it was designed to be mostly flat.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, it's clearly a balloon in every other Sonic game... And also, its design might be based on that lost "ball" obstacle/badnik in the concept art, which had some big stars all over it.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The shading obviously isn't that of a balloon. Same deal in S3K (using the same checkpoints). Remember that the checkpoints of those two games aren't the same as in the rest.

Actually, I think there is a lot of artwork from Sega that shows it as being flat. Basically a thick disc.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I didn't know about this, but are you completely sure? It would be quite odd if they just made that checkpoint model different from the others.

5. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    It seems kind of like a hard plastic sphere to me rather than a delicate balloon, in the 3D games it seems more like a balloon but in Sonic 2 it always struck me as a hard, solid sphere swinging on a post. Although I can sometimes look at it and see a black disk with a star on it, stuck inside of a larger thick ring.
    [​IMG]
    The red ring from a plastic stacking ring toy...
    [​IMG]
    With a star-printed coaster stuck inside of it. (Of course, without the fur and outer ring on the coaster.

Also, for the pause screen mentioned earlier, couldn't it freeze frame as it did in the original, then you press a different button with puts a black semi-transparency over the frame with a pause menu similar to the one shown on the title card mockup?
    [​IMG]
    I know the screenshot isn't the correct resolution, but it's just to show my idea.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't really like using that font for that. Could the font used for the level select and "Sonic the Hedgehog" text on the title card be used instead?

Maybe you can put it in front of one of those "winged circle" thingies that all of the old games framed Sonic with on the title screen.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Use the Sonic Jam pause menu.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How about not using a Pause Menu? Did nobody consider that option? >_>

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wait until people complain that they can't get back to the title screen without shutting down the game (alt+F4).

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You could do it like in Sonic & Knuckles Collection / Sonic CD PC, with a couple context menus, but it wouldn't work well in full-screen mode. Few games still do that anymore.

11. burpingcat

burpingcat

Does it really need that huge "PAUSED" on there?

12. *wonders what is prohibitive about coding a soft reset into Start+A*

13. STE

STE

Using the Gaslight Font for the Pause menu is a Bad Idea, try what muteKi said and use the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Font.

Then again, why don't we try something simpler? Like this?

Press *Insert Button here* to return to the Title Screen

Press *Insert Button here* to return to the Level Select (Would only appear if the Level Select code has been Inserted)

Press the Pause Button to Resume

14. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    What STE suggested sounds interesting, perhaps something Smash Bros style where in it freezes, then in the corner it says "L+R+A+START = Reset"

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I like a clean Pause screen, so what about:

- If you hit start it pauses like the original

- If you keep pressed start for 2 seconds it appears something like a Sonic Jam's pause screen?

16. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Must have missed the SwissCM thing. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't think that would be intuitive enough. =\

I support just adding the Sonic Jam pause menu. Perhaps making it appear when you release the pause button? That way, you could still get a clean picture as long as you held it.

18. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    That's a better idea than mine.

19. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    Just something I threw together quite quickly, let me know what you think. It's the 10 Rings monitor image.

[​IMG]

I may make more depending on how well this is received. Comments & Criticisms welcome ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.