don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    My memory is veeeeery fuzzy given how long it's been since I've played the mobile versions, but wasn't it just CD that used a simulated d-pad, with 1 and 2 having something closer to approximating an analogue stick? Either way, I'm pretty much in agreement - doesn't matter how good the remakes are, the phone was never going to be the ideal way to play them, and that's true for Mania as well (though the mess of this release is doing any favours). It's honestly a little baffling not only that 1 and 2 were stuck in mobile jail for so long to begin with, but that they're now going full circle with putting Mania on mobiles when it can run on pretty much any PC made after the death of dial-up.

2. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    1 and 2's UI does make it look analogue, but at the end of the day it's still just a D-Pad since RSDK only processes digital input like the Mega Drive originals. Honestly it's kind of surprising that the remasters and Mania never did add analogue movement, I think it'd enhance how you work with momentum.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    DREAMCHADS

4. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    This is really impressive! Played Mania at 240p on my Wii via my CRT a few weeks back and loved it. Kinda wondered then if any Dreamcast port had made any strides, but did not expect to see it this good. Hope we can get audio soon.

5. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    Oh wow this is looking to be in much better of a state than last time I saw it.
    Back then each tile was a unique quad which lagged the hell out of the console, so it's good to see they got the rendering engine in a more stable state.
    Maybe some day someone will be insane enough to get a pseudo demake of Mania going on the Saturn as the game was kind of designed as if it were a Saturn game.

6. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Now do Sega Neptune 32x version.

7. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Technically impressive, but good grief the screen crunch is real. In that regard, it looks more like something from the Game Gear.

8. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    It's kind of funny that despite the Mega Drive originals being 4:3 and everyone being used to it, when Mania gets put into 4:3 it's odd and unnatural, despite being the same (but higher color count) sprites and parts of levels. :V

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Now you mention it...damn. I've really been spoiled by being able to play those games in widescreen.

10. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    16:9 is definitely a quality of life feature that 2D Sonic games sorely need. It's a criticism that's been done to death that Sonic's speed doesn't mesh well with hazards and a limited view. So I wouldn't say we're spoiled by 16:9, but instead, it's such a natural and necessary aspect of 2D Sonic, that to take games that were always in that ratio and put it back in 4:3 is very jarring and would definitely change the way you play it.

11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I find it kind of hilarious that seemingly a lot of people here can’t stand playing the classic games in 4:3 despite that being the only option for many years. I find myself playing emulated MD versions more than any Retro Engine/remake versions just because they load faster, don’t have to deal with extra menus, and they don’t have the occasional physics oddities.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm so used to the classics that I didn't even notice that DC demo 'wasn't' in widescreen.

Not that I want to go back. Widescreen is absolutely a massive improvement, it's just I have that much experience with the old limitations that my brain didn't even notice it at first.

13. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    I have no real issue swapping from 4:3 to 16:9 and back but I can also agree that the additional real estate is really nice. Still find myself playing the games a lot on a CRT at 4:3 though, even stuff like Sonic 3 AIR for mods and it’s additional features.

14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Widescreen certainly isn't "necessary" for 2D Sonic, in fact, usually quite the opposite. 16:9 ruins boss arenas in the original games, so 4:3 will always be superior in games designed for it.

15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Metallic Madness boss in the CD remaster added lasers to the sides that functioned as walls to avoid that problem, but they looked hilariously out of place aesthetics-wise.

upload_2024-2-25_1-49-53.png

16. [​IMG]
    Sonic 1 also did it in both 2013 and Origins release, except aesthetics-wise it looks better and organic here.

The Big Arms arena in Origins ver. of Sonic 3 don't let you go off-screen too iirc.

17. You’re thinking of Sonic 3 AIR, which has invisible wall objects around the arena. Origins lets you go off the sides, which have a hover object, ala Sky Sanctuary, there.

Honestly, either I would have put in walls like 3 AIR or have it be a bottomless pit.

As an aside regarding bosses in widescreen, while most of them do indeed end up kinda weird with arena changes, some actually work better with the wider screen real estate - EHZ, CNZ(S2), HTZ, DEZ(S2), AIZ2, HCZ2, MGZ2, CNZ1(S3), CNZ2(S3), LBZ1, MHZ2, SOZ1, SOZ2 and DEZ1(SK) are the stages whose bosses I argue benefit from the wider screen estate as they require little to no functional changes to the boss design while simultaneously improving visibility greatly.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  18. I actually was thinking about this one, but I think I just explained it badly lol. I do like A.I.R.'s solution too tho'. I think I just prefer Origins' one because it felt more... creative. Althought, I would understand Origins' solution would be maybe a little annoying for some people, so they would rather have the invisible walls.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  19. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

The plus side of AIR is the mods - in this case I use one replicating the Origins changes.

20. Felik

Felik

Ah yes, bosses. The best and most beloved and cared for part of any Sonic game