don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Fadaway

Fadaway

I think it looks wonderful. I had to watch with the sound off but I'll check out the audio later tonight.

2. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's definitely great seeing it in high quality instead of an event recording. I like the music as well.

Saying that, kind of want them to try doing a vocal song for these kind of intros. I think that's part of what made intros like the ones in CD or Adventure so hype for everyone.

They have Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and T.J. Davis for that old school Sega 90s feel, get them to be part of the franchise again while they can.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Looks good, has very Sonic game vibes to it.

4. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    is that... sarcasm? I'm having a hard time parsing the meaning of that

5. I think the mixture of Tee Lopes and Senoue's style works quite well here.

Love how high quality that animation is. Seriously, hope one way we will get a aniamated Sonic show that looks like this.

The only thing we need now is a bit of the OST of the game itself to hear, like Bridge Island's theme.

Also seeing Fang animated in 2D is surely very awesome.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    0:04 to 0:20 sounds like a remix of Blue Spheres music, I dig that! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    If Tee Lopes collabs with Jun Senoue on every track Senoue works on, we may be in good shape. He seems to tame his worst "Sonic 4" excesses.

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yeah, a full animated series with that design quality might turn out awesome ^^

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This is my big criticism of most of the Hesse animations. They are usually wonderfully animated but just a thematic intro rather than an opening of the story. I'll give Origins credit because the animations there actually do set up the stories of the games.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Same TBH.

The produciton values are high, the animation is nice to look at, but there's no "story" here. Sonic bashes some robots, then it cuts to Amy and Knuckles also bashing robots, new gimmick and then it ends.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I mean, it's alright.

12. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    It's a cute opening animation but... I think it's a bit bland as nothing really too much happens, it hits about the same notes as Mania or Origins opening Cutscenes, just Sonic running around for roughly a minute with other characters and gimmicks appearing to let you know they're there.

The actual animation is pretty dont get me wrong, I just wish there was more to it. Something like Sonic CD where it actually leads directly into the opening act. Eh, I'm more nitpicking.

I also still think the soundtrack is just "fine". Not very memorable, but not terrible. Guitar work is nice but nothing sticks out to me. Generically solid.

13. Nope

Nope

This is probably the worst of the new 2d classic Sonic animations we've gotten so far. They just use a bunch of sweeping camera motions to cover up the fact not a lot interesting is happening either action or animation wise and then just randomly cuts to Amy doing stuff halfway through? If the opening movie wanted to be a montage, then be a montage and not just an incoherent set of little scenes with no theme. Not very well directed, in my opinion. Pales in comparison to what Mania's intro was. I'm disappointed.

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It looks like it's running at 14 fps

15. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    It's definitely running at 26 FPS, but a lot of the animation is "drawn on 2s", so every two frames would be a new drawing. That's actually a pretty standard way of animating, but I do agree it looks kinda choppy in places. It might be that there's not a lot of cushioning of motion so Sonic tends to move too fast for easy reading of the movement. For something this fast and wide-sweeping camera angles, I'd go with animating on 1s so it looks smoother, but budget could be an issue since that's quite a time-sink.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Yeah, just noticed that by watching it on something that wasn't my computer (which I thought was making it choppy), I... really don't like that, on top of it just feeling not particularly interesting as an intro. I can't really tell if it's an error, because it looks like it is, but if it was intentional... I don't know how they intended that to come off.

17. Kyro

Kyro

Is it just me or does it look different from the mania and origins animations, and even the knuckles frontier prologue? It doesnt seem quite like the work of powerhouse studios, but its definitely using the same design sheets from origins and such. I cant quite place it but something just looks, off.

I also agree with some other folks, it feels kinda lackluster in direction, but thats fine

18. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Drawing less frames per second / animating in increasingly long intervals is usually a budget / time constraint issue as far as I am aware. Not trying to theorycraft or whatever, but I don't think the animators would completely switch up on us if it wasn't due to some limitation imposed on them. Sometimes it's a stylistic choice, but this isn't really like any other classic Sonic animation we've gotten so far (including the free ones).

I still think it looks pretty nice though, despite that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I also liked the opening animation, and I also thought the scenes were kinda bland when it could focus on the plot itself. But maybe this game barely has a story to be told, and that is all that could be shown. Like Sonic 1's intro in Origins, it doesn't have anything to be shown while it's still pretty charming.

20. I would save detailed story stuff to be showed for Modern Sonic games, tbh. (Which again, is why I wanna a animated 2D Sonic series by Tysson.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023