don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Sonic social posted this screenshot
    Hrmmmm

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It's a problem for preservation. We've seen digital storefronts go dark. If someone wants a physical version, they expect to be purchasing a product that doesn't require any interaction with a service that could not be there in a decade and still have a complete experience. This is especially problematic because it's different from the previous Plus release, Mania, which had the extra content on the media. So not only does it feel unnecessarily protective of profits, it's a bait-and-switch.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    You might not care but I and others do, not having a complete package physical is just annoying, I enjoy owning multiple game collections where everything is available on a cart, in fact it's 90% of the reason I buy retail.

4. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Yeah to be fair, the trailers did kinda put emphasis on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles being playable in these games conveniently without so much as an asterisk that Knuckles was unavailable in SCD as that bombshell of info was relegated to a Famitsu article.

Maybe that's why they didn't directly state Knuckles was being added to SCD for Plus's trailer outside of the Plus DLC mention at the end; perhaps it'd be confusing to tout Knuckles as finally playable in every game when it seems like they were already saying that with the base game's trailer.
    I had a crazy theory that maybe they could've made new animations to give Tails, Knuckles and Amy their own hand-drawn animated intros and endings in SCD (though Amy's you could probably just tweak the existing new intro and ending of the game) instead of just using Sonic's no matter who you're playing as (with there no longer being separate credits for Tails like in the 2011 version), but that was of course debunked with the recent SCD Knuckles stream.

At this rate I'd wonder what other possible cutscenes could even be added without going over budget or feeling insignificant. 24 new cutscenes for the GG games? In-between level cutscenes to break the pace? Cutscenes for the mostly non-canonical playthroughs with non-Sonic characters, or even a Story Mode version of that? I personally wouldn't mind short animations for the canon GG games just to try and weave them into this collective whole and its retconned timeline, perhaps that's what the little simplistic animations of Labrynth/Blast's plots on the Sonic Twitter are meant for.

Behind the scenes content has me picture Sonic Team talking about not changing too much except for the stuff they actively removed, not knowing how pixel filters work, and Headcannon's segments being very quick and rushed.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Quite upset that the entire point of a physical release has been dismissed here, given I've pre-ordered a few copies of this. Feel somewhat cheated. Will most likely wait until after release of every Sega game from here onwards.

I will be treating this as the base game, and down the line if I am in a situation with no legal way to get the Plus content I purchased back, have zero ethical problems getting it via other means.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    The social media team *have* been showing off those animated manual comics...wouldn't surprise me if those are added to spruce up the GG games without making them look laughably quaint next to animations from Hesse and co.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound

The post has 3 other pictures: https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1666136648630042625?s=46&t=S0_YkQ8TRA2Bk54XvKgWfw
    I’m hoping we get a Sonic Central on Thursday or a trailer prominently displaying Amy’s moveset. The last central was announced with a day’s notice so it’s still possible this week.
    Those animated manuals would be cute inclusions. I really hope there is more museum content tho. I’d love all the commercials and animations from Sonic Jam to be included. I’d also REALLY like concept art (or video) of Sonic 3 when it was a 3D game.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I straight up have no faith in this lmao, after the initial release and lack of fixes, mainly now I'm just hoping that this leads to backporting of the knuckles and amy content to existing decompilations. :ohdear:

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

I don’t plan to buy Origins Plus at launch. There are three things I want to know before I make a purchase:
    1) If denuvo drags down the steam release’s performance
    2) What’s Amy’s moveset? Is it more than just the insta-shield?
    3) Is there more museum content? (Other than the game gear games; I’m taking about concept art)

10. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Amy looks to have a Hammer Insta-Shield equivalent that is both bigger in hitbox and perpetual, which also ties into a Drop Dash equivalent of running whilst hammering without the speed boost and presumably resultant slowdown, also perpetually? It's currently unknown if it goes any deeper than that, like if she doesn't have a Spin Dash or gets extra height from Springs like in Advance (or destroys Spikes like in the ending). I'll have to try out the moveset myself to see it in practice, but I wonder if people might look at what it seems to be and complain it's not more unique? That's my guess.

Not that Headcannon couldn't do that justice. Some of it can't be helped, the Classic-style gameplay only allowing one action button unlike in the Advance series and having to fit unintrusively into 4 existing games without altering level design.

11. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Like others, I care about preservation, but the main reason that I buy physical is so I can just pop the medium in and play. No internet connection required.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I remember the excitement and positivity leading up to Mania Plus' release, and now it feels like the exact opposite for Origins' Plus with SEGA doing a great job in pissing off fans every chance they get.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I don't care about this because the simple reality is that preservation is impossible when relying on companies alone. Piracy and circumventing protections are always going to be required and any serious modern digital historian knows this.

I support products to support the developers, not the publishers.
    I'm fine with this if this ends up being our best options, but even then I want other less tech savvy players to get access to all these features. The decomps are kind of a pain to set up for most users, much as I love them. I just hope Origins can eventually get tweaked into what it should be one way or another.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    There's kind of no point in doing it this way, unless the basics of the Plus content by the time comes to put it on a disc are SO unfinished that having it as part of it would essentially be providing people with a broken prototype. otherwise, they'll still get the same patch that everyone else gets on launch/anniversary day (that they hypothetically could've provided at any time) AND the content and patches that are already on the disc.

15. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

This kind of mentality of putting Origins' good additions into the decomps so people don't have to support the official release is kinda exactly what devs of the decomps advocate against? Like IDK how that'd look to Sega in a legal sense, might lean a bit on piracy.

And it works both ways, as apparently people have been getting decomp scripts (or at least some kind of scripts) to work in Origins.

https://twitter.com/LittlePlanetCD/status/1650638512004435968?t=41ztBQkN2Hkxlj_k6wa_Vg&s=19

The Perfect System document also mentions script editing (and thus decomp scripts) soon becoming a reality for Origins.

https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1595151030916091904?t=_7DnFaf6LSHTaW5FqBLbMw&s=19

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    If we can mod origins to be definitive, I'm also fine with that, but honestly? That Denuvo trash needs to go ASAP. I highly doubt Mania has been negatively impacted in major ways saleswise by its removal.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The physical release of Origins Plus having the Plus content as a DLC code is wrong and it is embarrassing that so many people here as dismissing it as unimportant.

It won't bother me on a personal level since I will just download the code anyway, but it screws over people who can only afford second hand copies. Just corporate greed.

18. Wildcat

Wildcat

Amy and the games are still free right? Do they stay on the disc/cart once they’re downloaded? It is weird though.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I was so close to buying the physical Plus version, I’m glad I didn’t now. That’s scummy.

20. Kyro

Kyro

yeah nah, even if they are working to the last minute on the plus content, it should be at least on the disk in some form, or be part of the day one patch, not a download code. Thats just greedy and bad for second hand buyers.

I dont plan to buy physical anyways, I will probably settle for just the dlc as I dont tend to buy physical these days, and while its not a HUGE deal, it's certainly looks pretty lame