don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'm still hoping against hope that it's a platform-specific thing - I'm sure I remember reading about a game which had content not included on the disc only on a certain platform in the last few years. Wish I could remember what it was so I could try and verify whether my memory was correct. Pretty sure I'm setting myself up for disappointment there, though, and that the content will be download-only across all platforms.

I'd have no problem with the new content being download-only if the physical release had happened back when the vanilla game launched (or even a few months later) - post-launch DLC is par for the course nowadays and a fun way of expanding games we already played to death. My problem here is that the new content is being advertised as part of the physical package, with the launch timed to coincide with the content's release and the new content the focus of all the advertising, when really it's just the vanilla version of the game on the disc/cart.

If they were only ever going to press the base game onto the physical media, they should have released it a lot sooner than this and just launched this new content as DLC, rather than pretending it's part of the physical package. It's doubly frustrating because Mania Plus got this exactly right, waiting for the physical release until the DLC content was ready and - most importantly - actually including it on the disc/cart. Heck, some games even have later re-presses with DLC included, so a physical vanilla Origins wouldn't necessarily have precluded Origins Plus getting a proper physical release down the line - see Streets of Rage 4: Mr. X Nightmare for a good example (which, incidentally, I did sell my OG copy of Streets of Rage 4 to fund a purchase of, as I wanted the copy with the latest updates/DLC on cart).

It's annoying, as I want to support the physical release of these games on my platform of choice, but this whole "new content is actually download-only" aspect is really souring the whole thing for me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I remember my collector's edition for Mania on Switch only being a code, so sadly this has happened before.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Yeah that CE was really just a figure with a digital code bundle, at the time no physical was annoucned (or planned??) so a digital key was all they could do.

Here however they chose to do a plus and follow what they did with mania just this time half arseing it.

4. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I’m very annoyed, I like having sonic games in my hands. I’m not going to let this damper my excitement for the content, I’ll still grab it on steam and mod it to my liking. I’ll probably just get a secondhand physical copy for dirt cheap in a year or two and just get the DLC separately, if at all.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Hmm. Is this not coming with the DLC we already have on it? The island stuff and the extra missions?

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I was of the understanding that the original run of DLC would be included on the disc/cart, yes - if I've understood correctly, it's just the new "Plus" DLC (Amy, Knuckles in CD, Game Gear games) that's included as download-only.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yes pretty much what McAlee said.. the Plus content will be the separate DLC we pay for and we get it via download code.

But here is my stupid question though: after you redeem that code, won’t the content be stored either onto the disc/cartridge or onto your game data that you have on your console/PC? Because there has to be a way to show that you purchased the DLC already and you won’t need to worry about losing the content in the future

8. No, its not going to be stored on the game media. It's going to be a licensed tied to your Nintendo/Sony/Xbox account.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
  10. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Might as well stop buying games, then, because unless there's a royalty contract between the developer and publisher, they aren't seeing a cent from you buying them. They get paid to do their job, and once it's done they move on to their next project.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. DaveDave

DaveDave

Yeah, I've cancelled my pre-order. They only thing I cared about was the bugs to be fixed, and they couldn't even do that. Peace out.

12. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Considering all the people I've seen just refer to Plus as "Amy + GG games" I have to wonder if Sega kinda shot themselves in the foot by not making "Knuckles is also now playable in SCD with new level design" just a bit more apparent in the trailer. Again, after Sega marketed the original release with emphasis on Sonic/Tails/Knuckles being playable in the games, maybe acknowledging that one of them actually wasn't playable in one of the games until now would've been confusing?

I remember in the stream they mentioned that they "found a way" to make Knuckles work in SCD, and I'm just like "yeah, they just got people who know what they're doing to do it lol."

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Wow SEGA has been really testing my wallet recently. First it was the Frontiers prints, then the Adventure statue, and now this. Whyy

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Wow they deleted the tweet.. perhaps it was either they announced it too early or the dumb fans hijacking the tweet asking if this edition will include the Plus DLC may have overwhelmed them.

15. Did anyone screenshot or otherwise remember what it included?

It’d have to be pretty fucking impressive for me to go for a triple dip (digital PS4 + JP Switch physical).

16. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    EDIT: Oops, should have refreshed the browser before replying.

18. Ah, I saw that article already but assumed it was missing at least a little bit of info. Guess not lol.

19. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

So from the looks of Sonic Superstars' trailer, it seems like Amy's moveset in Origins Plus was a tease for her in that game all along!

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    As I said in the other threat, I suspect it was designed for SuperStars first, then implemented back into Origins retroactively.

Or at least I hope so, because that would imply the former has a much closer relation to the retro engine than one might at first think.

The STK trio is now permanently the STKA quad.