don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

As someone on Twitter pointed out, guess we could also consider the ending of Origins with the four as a lead-in to this new game.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

So i take it Superstars and Origins have consistent gameplay for Amy. It seems she can spam hammer indefinitely with zero momentum halt. I'm kinda wondering how Amy will turn out now, if she can spin and everything, she risks being a Cream type that is the normal characters but with spammable bonuses and no weaknesses, which can get a bit dull from how OP it is sometimes.

I hope she keeps at least SOME of her Advance intuition to make her compelling to play and a really unique experience in the classic games.

Also I wonder if Superstars is the reason we're getting the Game Gear games added over the remaining Mega Drive entries.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Uh... someone gonna make a thread on the new game? Or is it too early? Can anyone make one?

4. Kyro

Kyro

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No it doesn't. Forces gives Sonic the same moveset as Mania and yet those two games are entirely unrelated as pieces of software.

I agree that it's very likely that Amy was designed for Superstars first and then that served as the basis for adding her to Origins Plus. But that has literally nothing to do with the game engine.

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    You could try not being a jerk about harmless speculation based on our current lack of concrete info.

If Amy's movesets are in fact designed to work with classic momentum, that could be the basis for there being momentum in Superstars. It's not unreasonable to at least speculate this as a possibility. The moveset could've been designed from the ground up with the goal of quickly and effectively swapping into the retro engine, which means making it work with classic physics would be a priority, and therefor mean the entire moveset was designed with classic physics in mind within both games. The fact that it at least looks similar can't be a bad sign.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I can be a sarcastic jerk and be full of dismissive put-downs when I want to be, but show me what I said this time that was even remotely untoward. You said "it could be X" and I said "X is a non-sequitur". No being a jerk (for once).

Your speculation here isn't very logical. There are few engine limitations on what Amy could accomplish in either Origins or Superstars. And despite how she's implemented in one game, it doesn't really reflect how she'll physically behave in another. Sonic Team had the challenge of coming up with a moveset for Amy that allowed her to stand out from the other characters both without giving her a disadvantage and using more than one button (both the reasons why we didn't get Advance 1 Amy). And that also stipulated a bit of consistency between Superstars and Origins simply from the perspective of making things easy to understand for the player. Basically, if Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all work basically the same between the games, then Amy should also fit that mould.

Talking about Sonic Team having some level of awareness when it comes to minding and planning for the Classic physics is a hard pill to swallow. They showed a total disregard for the physics when it came to implementing Sonic's Drop Dash in S1, S2 and CD Origins. Their sloppy implementation meant that it unintentionally activated a control lock and basically made Sonic perform a crouch and spin dash immediately upon landing from a charge. It doesn't even work correctly if used in sloped terrain. If they can't even get that right despite Mania and S3K showing them exactly how it's done aesthetically and in the code, I don't think they'd put that much forethought into Amy's new moves.

From what I can gather, Amy's hammer is activated like Sonic's Drop Dash. Whilst charging it in mid air she'll get an expanded hit-box as her hammer spins, and then on landing she'll start smashing the hammer ahead of her. Doesn't seem like physics will play an integral role that would stop the moves from feeling different in one game to the next.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I hope Amy has a dedicated button for using her Hammer. And also that she can smash spikes with it like in the Origins ending.
    It'd be lame if the only way she could access her hammer is through a drop dash type maneuver.

Although I know that with Origins, hope is not a good strategy.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Considering how sloppy everything else outside of 3K was implemented in this compilation, I doubt SEGA is going to stay true to the 1 button design of the games.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Really I'm fine with two button mechanic if it makes Amy's moveset intuitive. I think it'd be hard to implement Amy's hammer otherwise, and would risk just being another 'Sonic but extra move' type situation. Amy was so fun in Advance because she was a total game changer and required more strategy and to look at the levels differently, I wanna see something like that again over just something uniform but fairly uninspired.

On a side note, the fact Origins Plus' biggest additions tend to be tied to Superstars in some way (playable Amy, 8 bit games to reestablish Fang) makes me wonder if there's something else in the package that they didn't reveal yet in order to not spoil the new game.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    We can presume superstars will come with menu graphics dlc :P

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Kyro

Kyro

Get the superstars deluxe edition for a 3d diorama of the new island exclusively on the menu! And no, you can't even use a camera with it this time

That'll be $79.99 please

13. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    And how was this going to tie into Sonic Prime, again?

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    It’s not.. looks like it may tie in with Superstars instead :V

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Funnily enough, the survey that was sent out about features for Origins Plus mentioned co-op modes.

But I think if there were any unrevealed features, they would have been mention on the back of the game box.

However, it could be at one stage they had planned for there to be more of a connection between Origins and Superstars. On the Superstars website they briefly had a "Sonic Orion" logo, which seems to be the original name of Superstars. The design of that logo is very similar to the Origins logo (although they could have just recycled the same design as a placeholder).

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    tbh I am not even sure that's possible in the classic engine from a design standpoint. Amy in Advance 1 outright trivializes parts of that game in ways Tails could only dream of and Pseudo-Hard-Mode in others - her extreme slowness made Egg Rocket a joke but also made any part of the game not a series of vertical platforms kind of a slog (not to mention that she has no invincibility while jumping - so many memories of being knocked down, down, down in Ice Mountain and Angel Island). I think it says something that she basically played the same as everyone else in Advance 2, a game in which her having her Advance 1 physics would've been outright miserable.

17. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    The odds are really STAKed in Superstars' favor

Naamloos-2.jpg

18. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

It kinda makes sense (or at least serendipity) why they didn't try bringing back more cut levels ala Hidden Palace Zone specifically for Origins, because Superstars basically nods to SCD's R2/Dubious Depths with its rainbows/waterfalls level, as well as a S1 rotary Special Stage deal that distinctly resembles the scrapped Bonus Stage of SCD. No doubt because Oshima was involved. IDK, maybe I'm stretching.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's a hell of a stretch. This was never meant to be anything more than a compilation title. The most ambitious portion was handled by an entirely separate team.

20. TomGyroid

TomGyroid