don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

Funny story, this just happened to me looking at IMDB last week for a non-Sonic cartoon

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Prefer Roger if I'm honest, but hey, at least it looks like it could be in the same universe as the games.

Kinda jealous of how consistent Japan's voice acting treatment is. We shouldn't be in a situation where we have THREE voice actors working on Sonic simultaneously. Japan will be using the same single voice for all those projects.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound

Deven Mack has posted a twitter video introducing himself to the Sonic community and making it clear that Roger is staying on for the games:
    https://twitter.com/devenoclock/status/1521558837723119616?s=21

At the start of the vid he sounds somewhere in between Ryan and Roger. Then when he drops the voice and he starts talking about the Sonic cartoons he grew up watching (1:25) he says “Man, he’s too cool for school”... and maybe I’m hearing things but to me it sounded like he was doing an impression of Jaleel’s Sonic for that line.

I really like what I’ve heard so far. He’s like a melting pot of all the Sonic VAs.

Edit:
    Roger’s also made a post. Both VAs are being class acts
    A2C738A2-A775-4FEE-A0F4-1A7ED6D1319E.jpeg

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The new VA seems really cool and also does a great version of Sonic from what’s been released so far. It’s a bit of a blend of Roger Craig Smith and Ben Schwartz.

The fact that this is called Sonic Prime suggests it’s video game Sonic’s world, and he’s going to be getting into crazy adventures in the multiverse. Hey, that’s news right? No one else is doing multiverse stuff right now, are they…? :V

I can’t help but think that they’re gearing him up to take RCS’s place in the future though…

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

In March was Deven Mack the VA listed as Sonic on IMDB?

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Not quite, if we're including the films. Jun'ichi Kanemaru apparently doesn't voice Sonic in the movies in Japan, Taishi Nakagawa does.

Still more consistency than we have in English though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    No, we've known for a long while. The description has always been about "more than a race to save the universe, but a journey of self-discovery and redemption."

Also these concept arts exist:
    https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Prime/Development

There was also Tomokazu Seki, who voiced the Werehig in Unleashed, doing Sonic's voice for Wreck-It-Ralph.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Huh, didn't know the Werehog had a different voice actor to Sonic in Japan...

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Unimpressed of everything shown, which isn't much either, so better wait for more footage to form a real impression.

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Frostav

Frostav

Yeah the peelout is one of those things that only works in 2D art (or, at least, 3D trying to emulate 2D art such as what ArcSys does with Guilty Gear now), and really only with Classic Sonic's design. I thought the peelout in the Advance series looked weird honestly. There's a reason it was quickly dropped for 3D Sonic.

But otherwise, this looks neat!

As for the voice actor...this sounds more like Schwartz' portrayal to me, but a little less nasal. I'm not hearing much Roger, Drummond, or Griffith. A quick check says he's played by a black dude named Deven Mack which is pretty neat as a black Sonic fan myself c:

12. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Yeah, it's genuinely exciting for Sonic to be played by a black man in official media for the first time in more than two decades. Huge deal and I'm happy for Deven Mack for landing the role.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. If only the community could show this much respect to each other...

Anyway, nice to have another POC join the pantheon of Sonic VA's.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Not a lot to say here. Deven Mack sounds good. I think he'll work just fine in the role (judging by the Twitter video, Netflix clearly cut together multiple lines for that teaser and it doesn't sound great lol), even if that is because he sounds very similar to Smith.

Animation looks...okay? I dunno, there's too little of it for me to really judge.

The story is nothing. Sonic running through Green Hill and telling us how cool he is could be a trailer for just about any Sonic thing.

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    ok I'm looking at this image again, is it just me or is there like, a lone polygon that hasn't rendered properly on Sonic's upper torso? Near where his left shoulder is

16. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Nah, that's the lighting cut off by the ring

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey its the 1st Sonic show that actually looks like Sonic, that's something. No ridiculous redesigns or environments that look more like Donkey Kong Country (Boom) than Sonic

18. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    second.
    Sonic X was a thing

19. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah you're right it is just lighting, that was driving me crazy
    third if you wanna count the OVA as being a series

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    So all the voice actors are Canadians?

So no redesigns happened until one episode comes out.