don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    In fact, there's only a couple of minor spoilers I ate unintentionally, the rest of them have been me deliberatedly visiting the other thread or playing official trailers. Oh, and I asked for something specific that I wanted to know before no one noticed it yet, but I got my answer soon after that. While there's some things I wished I didn't get spoiled, and those can ruin the "blind joy" thing, I haven't watched any footage of the game besides those from months ago, and just some quite inoffensive screenshots, so the experience will still be quite pure for me to appreciate it.

Oh, an advice for fellow PC-only users eager to enter the main thread: don't do it until you've at least completed the game with all emeralds, preferably with more than one character; people has.been explaining how do bosses work and how to beat them, among other things. 41 hours to go! (here at GMT +1).

2. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Thanks for that! That's 2PM in Argentina, while I'm working -_-

Regarding the PS3 controller, same here, last year I bought a bluetooth adapter for my desktop PC, and the controller works well with Better DS3.

3. Am I weird for not wanting to do a countdown for fear of another delay? My stance at the moment is more like "I'll believe it when I see it".

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This listing was up a couple days ago.

5. kullenberg

kullenberg

I know this has been brought up before, but do you guys think that Sonic Mania could open the door for other classic/retro reboots? As an artist who grew up in the 80's/90's I am heads over heels in love with the art direction in Sonic Mania but I feel a bit out of touch with what the kids of today like. Is it just the sheer size and continuity of the Sonic fanbase that justifies a game with retro aeesthetics? Do most kids today think the retro pixel art aesthetics look good, or is it just weird to them?

6. Retroman

Retroman

Very good topic you bring up :)
    Definitely! As long as the same developers work on it and as you know already, if it sells well which this game is already doing then Sega will allow it.

As for what the kids of today like aesthetic wise, I don't think pixels matter as long as there's detail and good use of colors. It's a good decision by Sega to tell Christian Whitehead, Headcanon and Pagoda games to base the graphics and animations off of the 32x rather than the Genesis since it is essentially a more powerful version of the nostalgic device we all know and love.

7. kullenberg

kullenberg

Yeah, personally I like to think of it as a arcade version of Sonic - nonetheless it represents the height of pixel art and strikes the perfect balance of restrictions and possibilities. Anywhow to be more clear I was thinking of non Sonic titles (even though a sequel to Sonic Mania would be stupidly awesome in it's own right). I'd personally give a limb to get a Sonic Mania treatment of Streets of Rage 2 (as an example) but I don't know if there's enough of a market for it outside of 30+ guys like me who grew up with it. My take is basically that a modern game such as Sonic Mania with retro aesthetics is justified chiefly by the unique size and consistency of the Sonic fanbase. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

8. Same, I'm trying not to get too excited just incase... forgot it was tomorrow, just made plans with the girlfriend :rolleyes:

Oh well, plans can change :v:

9. Deef

Deef

Get Hype guys!!!1

From the side of the internet that is saying "Yes, this is it, this is the one we've waited more than two decades for"... git hyyype!!

10. MartiusR

MartiusR

Of course it has. The "encyclopedical" meaning of optimization in case of software is considered as lowering the use of resources and increasing efficiency. In case of computer software resources are CPU, RAM, etc. (literally, resource is not processor itself, but the computing power of processor - the same thing with RAM etc.) If minimal requirements are significantly increased (in this case they are, aside from the fact that even those recommended are nothing special for even 4-years old PC), it's FAR from something, which could be considered as optimization. In other words - we were treated with big, juicy lie, with this reason of delay. The cooperation with various hardware you've mentioned - I would consider it rather in categories of compability than optimization - perfect example are games which are cooperating with almost every possible graphic card, processor etc, but are running terribly due to lack of optimization.

11. Creature SH

Creature SH

I suppose there is an off-chance that actual optimization was on the schedule for the work to be done in the delay period and they just couldn't get it to work.

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hmm. So the countdown timer currently says "18 hours" which takes us to 4PM tomorrow GMT/BST. So a little earlier than Steam's standard release protocol then?

I'm super busy tomorrow with shit coming up recently so it's looking like a play session either Tuesday night at the earliest if I'm still awake and not super tired - or a session on Wednesday when I get up. Also there won't be another delay. We're too close to release now for them to realistically change it again.

I know there's a contingent of PC only people waiting on this so I honestly hope you guys all have an absolute blast come tomorrow. Enjoy it everyone.

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    A quick guess in my head thinks Mania will be unlocked at 11AM or so in EST, so that's not too bad for me. Luckily, Lake's DX version of ATS will keep my mind off of Mania for tonight, so the wait won't be as bad.

From what I've seen in the Freedom Planet fandom, a fair few of them are teenagers who certainly weren't around to see the 90's. The likes of Minecraft, Terreria, and stick figure games appeals to children as well. As long as a game is fun, anyone of any age will play it regardless of the art direction. :) I personally don't see a lot of kids turned off by 2D stuff. (They do exist, though. Same as a few adults who hate anything that isn't 3D. :v: )

14. http://soahcity.com/2017/08/28/sonic-mania-to-have-steam-workshop-support/ So um, we might have the real reason for the delay and this is REALLY EXCITING if it pans out!

Holy cow!

15. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    The EULA was public months ago, I've seen it nearly the moment Sonic Mania went up for preordering on SteamDB. Are these people sure it ain't some generic EULA Sega uses for all its games?

That bit about modding may already have been available since the first time they uploaded it, way before the delay.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    :O Sonic Level Creator 2: Mania Style?!?!

17. It could be SEGA's stock EULA, but it gives me hope. I would really love to see workshop support and mod support, would REALLY make the PC port the best.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    The mod support is awesome - but I'm a little disappointed Sega couldn't organise a midnight Steam release for Sonic Mania. From what I know publishers/developers can specifically request midnight release timing with Steam like Playtonic did with Yooka-Laylee as a recent example (that game was made available in all regions at midnight).

Saw this thread bumped and was hoping it was because the game had unlocked already. Oh well. Not long either way.

19. Creature SH

Creature SH

I really really really don't think that there's an editor coming our way. It's probably just standard EULA verbiage to cover all possible bases.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Less than 16 hours, less than 16 hours! (Here, at least). That's 3 hours less than expected! *Hayes starts dancing*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.