don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

Good thing I already preordered the game on Steam so I don't have to be a pain in his bill. :v:

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The 90s funk levels are through the roof.

Amazing track. Up there with Studiopolis as my favorite piece so far.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Jesus Christ. Mania is Sonic. When was the last time we saw a Sonic game developed with such a passion?

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I don't like one pic replies but hot damn that beat at the beginning, that melody straight out of the nineties, that Stardust Speedway Bad Future feel
    [​IMG]

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Could just be Blue Spheres Plus as it's own separate game or mode within Mania. Some people like that sort of thing.

6. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

If anything I'd save blue sphere for a S3&K remaster minigame.

7. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hmm. Interesting points, but we can definitely rule out Mania or a mode within Mania, since Taxman specifically said that wasn't Sonic Mania running on the screen. It could be a standalone "Blue Spheres" mini-game, though to be honest I doubt it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, though I could have swore he was teasing Sonic 3K.

On the subject of the track, I'm getting serious Jet Set Radio vibes. And that's definitely a good thing.

EDIT: Hold on, it might actually be based on a Jet Set Radio demo:

From the Sonic YouTube page.

8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    This is so funky and Sonic CD-y, I think I listened to it 20 times already.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    OK people that have listened to the track, if you could go back and wait until release to hear it, would you?? I'm on the fence about listening...

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I really like the new theme. Has that CD styled Jazz, almost Jet Set styled music. I saw this posted on 4chan, but the new Hard-Boiled theme sounds odly very similar to this. I wonder if the Heavies would be considered a precursor to the E-Series.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    @VectorCNC Yes, absolutely.

With the Egg Robo joining the playable cast about a year before Adventure, I've sort of always saw Gamma as "Modern Eggrobo" anyway. So I could totally see that.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I clicked it thinking it was going to be the Mini-boss theme for Act 1, so I accidentally spoiled it for myself. :v:

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

To me that songs it's a mix of Sonic CD, Nights and Jet Set Radio. It's that great!

14. Oh man, that segment at 0:14 just melts my ears. I can't believe we still need to wait a month to experience all of this.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Nice try. :v:

16. Casshern is totally right, and it's absolutely perfect. A seamless blend of Rush and hints of Sonic 3. I also get small hints of Adventure too, and agree with Sonic CD. It nails both the Sonic and the Saturn vibe. Already found a 30 minute extended version of it on YouTube. Loving it.

17. As someone who never thought Sonic CD's soundtrack was anything special (go ahead, sue me), I can dig this.

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Man, it's like the Nightmare tune from NiGHTS (I only know it from the Lost World DLC) and some of the best Bad Future tracks from CD had a party. Love it.

I know how you feel, but I do this to myself every time a new Sonic game comes out. Plus this is the official Sonic youtube channel sharing this with us so it's not like an unintentional spoiler or anything. It's when people start to get their hands on copies of the game that you'll want to completely abandon the internet...

Speaking of which, what's the rules on setting up a second 'save-haven' thread for people who just want to continue Mania discussion without hearing about every detail that will no-doubt smash into the topic in a final few days coming up to launch? I would love to discuss mania up until it's release (and after) but it's going to be a scary game of russian-roulette when it gets closer to the big day. :v:

19. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I'll probably upset a lot of people here saying this... but Tee Lopes is just not a very Good composer. Is He a great remixer? Definitely. But his original compositions always feel so... derivative of other composers' works - in most cases the European / Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack.

There's nothing wrong with taking Inspiration from your idol(s). But when almost every one of your original songs sounds like another remix of a Song from CD, you probably shouldn't compose an entire soundtrack. That might sound a bit harsh, but I really don't like it when "having a consistent style" turns into "making a Variation on the same song over and over again".
    With this New song, Lopes did try something New (Well, sort of): instead of trying to sound like a Song from Sonic CD, he tried to sound like Sonic CD AND Jet Set Radio at the same time. But it lacks the energy of Naganuma's works, and feels more like he composed another "totally-not-CD-remix-song" and threw in a whole bunch of random samples because someone told him about JSR that day. When he doesn't remix other people's Music, his range is pretty low. The structure and style in those songs are almost always the same.

Maybe the rest of his original compositions in Mania is totally outstanding, original and varied. I'd be very glad if that was the case. It's just that none of what I've heard from the Mania soundtrack and very little of what I've heard of his previous works indicates that.

Oh, and Tomoya Ohtani with his Forces soundtrack is currently heading in the same direction, so It's not like that's any better.

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I think you need to lock yourself in a room playing the Sonic 4 episode 1 soundtrack for a solid 24 hours. You'll change your tune :v: