don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I can't begin to put into words how amazing this is.

2. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Dear SEGA, give Stealth-Tax a high five and a Turbo Mansion.

That is all.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yes, but as I pointed out, it also says the bounce shield is new to Mania, and Flying Battery Zone was in Sonic 2.

They probably have no idea what a Mighty the Armadillo is.

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    To be fair, I'll be sad if Quartz Quadrant doesn't make it. If only because I'd love to hear a Tee Lopes remix on the JP soundtrack of that level :v: .

But if it's not in I can always dream for it in Mania 2 :v:

5. Eurgh. I remember thinking when I first watched the recent trailer that the amount of content shown was the perfect level of hype/tease for me. I'm already regretting not jumping ship, experiencing the new Chemical Plant and Green Hill boss with no idea they were coming would've been brilliant. Oh well :(

6. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Woah this is nuts

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Only downside to what I've seen so far is that they've gone with the popular go to stages rather than the less expected stages. Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway. Where's the love for like, Scrap Brain, Mystic Cave, Lava Reef, and Quartz Quadrant? I mean they've done excellent jobs bringing new life into these levels but they've been referenced so much, it's just unfortunate these other levels don't have room to breathe.

I wonder what the chance for DLC is though. Maybe we'll see other levels or characters in the future?

8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I agree with that. Something to note, though, that post says that seven levels are included in the press build. Currently we have confirmed GHZ, CPZ, SSZ, FBZ, Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon. That's six levels. What could that seventh zone be? The cathedral zone, or that blurred pic Aaron teased?

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I honestly really like the setup they have for old levels; Act 1 is the throwback where they tweak and modify some things, abridge level design and maybe go off the rails towards the end. Act 2 is where they go full-on original, with new backgrounds, a more varied song remix, brand-new gimmicks and so forth.

10. Felik

Felik

Whilst I love what they did to Chemical Plant (that act 2 damn), I'm very disappointed that they picked a zone that was already revisited in Generations considering how many excellent choices they had.

Also I noticed an interesting pattern. It seems that acts one are more or less faithful recreations of original levels while acts two are wild with redesign and ideas.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    This is looking better and better every time I see it ! If the team is reading this,,,,, I hope you guys got some download content planned zones or something, I haven't played the game yet but already cant get enough !

Love the arm ! and look at that... looks like The boss may have some hill interaction by Mode 7 like rotation to align to the hill! XD!
    (although the boss body is not rotated yet, some of the other appendages are )
    Also i been wanting to say this for awhile: Great name you guys picked for the title. As I am full of Sonic Mania right now!

[​IMG]

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's not his arm lol. :v:

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm a little surprised it's Chemical Plant zone. Somehow I thought they weren't going to try to overlap with Generations. I'm also a little disappointed that it's not Metropolis zone but oh well.

At least it looks and sounds good.

14. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I can NOT believe no one's bitched about the boostpads and automation yet! I mean.. this is Sonic Retro after all :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's rather nice, just what I'd expect from a reimagined Chemical Plant (or "Chem Factory", as Gameinformer calls it lol). The graphics looks like they're barely any different at all from Sonic 2, but oh well. The new "goopy thingies" are the real interesting part here, very cool stage gimmick that kind of reminds me of Colours (DS), and when you turn it green it functions as Wacky Workbench bounce floor.

Mania from the looks of it will be just a bunch of elements from the past Sonic games thrown together and polished up with Tax & Stealth's engine, which isn't anything groundbreaking, but not a bad thing at all.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Is it just me, or did I hear a hint of "You're My Number One" from Sonic R in that Chemical Plant remix? So good.

Initially was bummed it's another Generations pull, but they're doing enough cool stuff with the trope that I'm actually pretty excited with it!

16. Burrobot

Burrobot

Wow, this birthday keeps getting better. I love the footage of Chemical Plant Act 2; admittedly it's a predictable choice, but the new gimmicks introduced look fantastic and I really appreciate the nods to Wacky Workbench and Metallic Madness. And before that screenshot posted by Andrew75, I hadn't actually seen the boss of Green Hill. Looks nice, but I am slightly disappointed to see the Death Egg Robot used yet again... nevertheless, I bet it's far more creative than the rendition in Sonic 4 Episode I. Ugh...

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    At first, the choice to use CHZ in Mania kinda disappointed me, but after seeing the extended footage, the first boss, and *this*, my hype level has properly returned to it's through-the-roof position.

18. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Seeing Caterkiller, Jr. and the Carnival Night tubes in Chemical Plant makes me wonder if there are still legal issues keeping certain zones from being included, and they've decided to just add elements from those zones as the next-best thing. Of course, it could be a purely directorial choice.

Love the remixed Chemical Plant, and fingers crossed for Marble Garden.

19. You know, I really wanted a different stage from Sonic Generations for this game, but dude, the 2 act is wonderful, after seeing this gameplay I don't really have a reason to complain. Also, it is still possible to have Hydrocity Zone in this game, because even though Chemical Plant having water, this stage is not exactly about water at all and it doesn't focus on that, so, that job goes for Hydrocity Zone.

Also, I suspect we could have Knuckles Chaotix stages too.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That may be overthinking things a bit. I think it just boils down to what elements they thought fit the levels. Caterkiller Jr looks like the gook worms or whatever they're called and fits the level perfectly (To my knowledge there are no legal issues with AIZ's music). The Carnival Night Tubes and the Metallic Madness tubes are also extensions of the tubes from the original CPZ. This might be an indication of what levels didn't make it though, but it doesn't necessarily have to do with legal issues. Generations even did this in a few instances (EHZ Corkscrews in GHZ, LZ Waterslides in CPZ, MGZ Spin tops in SSZ).

Given the reused gimmicks though, it might be safe to say that AIZ and CNZ are not going to be in the game, the former likely for the reused trope and the latter likely for the music. Also, given that CPZ is a tube speed level, I bet that LBZ is also out. That leaves Hydrocity, Marble Garden, and Ice Cap. My bet at this point is Ice Cap, but honestly any level from Sonic 3 outside of AIZ works for me.

Also I will tip my hat to the team, because despite reusing levels already seen in Generations, they have not yet reused tropes. A nice change of pace after Generation's Grass, City, Sky, City, City, Grass, City, City, Grass