don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I just hope that we have plenty more levels than the (sort of) confirmed three per new / old.

2. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    I'm super anti-preorder, but dammit I'm just so hyped to play this game. That trailer vanquished any worry I had about this game. Okay, maybe not fully, but it was a super beautiful trailer. Also, this is a dumb question, this isn't getting a physical release right?

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seeing as how this is a digital release shouldn't they be able to ship the collector's editions at any time? It's not like the keys will work if the game isn't released yet right?

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    So, if Sonic 4 happened right after S3&K, that means that Knuckles Chaotix had to have taken place after Sonic 4.

Wait....what if the "K" means "Knuckles Chaotix" not "& Knuckles?" This would make more sense for Mania's place in the timeline. So it could essentially be: Sonic 1, Sonic 2 (CD could be lumped here), Sonic 3, (Sonic 4 - Skipped due to superstition.....which is genius and absolutely appropriate), Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Mania.

^ This is what I'm going with until I hear otherwise.

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Late to the party but GOD. DAMN THAT ANIMATION BETTER ALSO BE A PILOT FOR A NEW CARTOON

I really hope after this SEGA JP just goes laissez faire with the Mania team and lets them do whatever they want, just greenlighting and licensing their stuff, because this has all the charm and soul in the world in it. THIS is what I was thinking when they said a new show called "Sonic Boom" was in the works. This is all just too good. Tyson absolutely NAILED the classic aesthetic, and it's brilliant to see his work from the comics see animated form.

Also, really smart choice on their end to go with the pencil-test look to make producing this bit all the more easier. I'm pretty sure the whole thing being full color just wouldn't have worked. Plus, that end bit in the elevator with all them finally revealed in color was so good it gave me chills. Reminds me of something... Can't imagine what.

What a good job, Tyson, Kinu, and Anthony. One of the best animated bits I've seen in months and bar none the best animated Sonic bit I've seen in YEARS. If SEGA doesn't take note of the reaction to the animation ALONE, they're damn fools, even more if they spoil the magic. Grats to 'yall :)

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Say what you want but Chaotix plays worsr than Sonic 4. It just sounds good haha

7. UK Amazon Listing has been updated for their delivery date. The Switch CE has also been added afaik.

8. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Did they include Stardust Speedway's past as a way of saying Sonic Mania takes place before Sonic CD?
    I would really like it if they finally had a solid place to put CD in the story.
    Putting it between Sonic 2 and 3 never made sense.

EDIT: that would also explain why Sonic CD and 4 weren't buttons in the elevator.

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    What if they only included Stardust Speedway Past to get around the USA/JP soundtrack issue?

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

They could have done that by having different act 1/2 themes.

11. This brings up the possibility that Act 1 may be in the past, Act 2 being in the present / future?

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I always thought that the past stages were WAY before the present stages, like the equivalent of prehistoric times on Earth. That's just my own headcanon + - (and suddenly Headcannon makes sense, thanks Stealth :specialed:)   , but still I find it implausible that Mania takes place before CD, but of course I could be wrong. I'm still totally down for Act 1 being the past and Act 2 being present/future though. Maybe the whole game is time travel-based, which is why Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are going back and forth between all these places from all the different games, plus new locations. It's not original for the Sonic series anymore, but as long as it's simple I'd be perfectly fine with a story setup like that.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If I remember correctly, Mania takes place some time after the classics, which is why the levels have "evolved" since the first time they traveled through them.

14. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    To all the people thinking Sonic Team don't care about Mania:

This and... This.

First one translates to: "It's very well made, so please play it!"

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Modern Sonic Team. No one's said anything about the original creators not caring, they've only shown love for this.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    ...Except those two tweets come from the producer and composer of Sonic Forces.

17. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    thanks, I try. ?

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    This is the one thing Sonic 4 fixed. The JP/Euro music is the "correct" music. At the beginning of Episode Metal, it starts with Sonic Boom, then merges into Toot Toot Sonic Warrior. Then the race against Metal Sonic in Death Egg Mk. II Zone uses a Genesis/Mega Drive mix of the JP/Euro Stardust Speedway Bad Future music. So this basically set the JP/Euro soundtrack as canon. No offense to Spencer Nilsen.

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Didn't Generations also only use the Japanese tracks?

20. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Yeah, the Metal Sonic fight features a remix of JP Stardust Speedway "B" Mix. The game does include a remix by Cash Cash of the US version of the song as a custom music option, though