don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This is a good topic. Not quite as good as the Sonic 4 one, mind.

2. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    FTFY

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You have to play it to get the good ending; there's also the Sky Chase bullshit in Sonic 2 (which is required to beat the game).

As for Wisps, how is that a second gameplay style? Those are powerups. Sonic Colours has one gameplay style.

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Because they don't augment Sonic's existing gameplay. They replace it.
    Elemental shields for example, retain all of Sonic's controls and movement, but give him an extra means to move. Wisps completely replace his control and movement scheme with something much simpler. They interrupt the core gameplay with what are basically minigames.

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Wisps are not powerups. Powerups are items that make the game either easier or faster (i.e. leaf, mushroom, or fireflower in Mario). The wisps are necessary to play most if not all parts of the Sonic Colors they are in. They aren't optional powerups, they are part of the necessary gameplay.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gotta agree with Lange on this one. The Wisp power-ups are so different from Sonic's normal playing style that each could serve as the basis of a completely different game. For example, here is a really rad looking game that basically looks like if the Drill Wisp was expanded upon.

Not that that makes Sonic Colours bad, but it's not like it just has one gameplay style. It's more like it has one core gameplay style with a variety of mini gameplay styles.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Seeing how things have gone in a post Sonic 06 and Sonic 4 world, I think we'll survive. ;)

Sonic Mania will save the franchise.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Transformation of moves =/= extension of ones moves

Both are named power ups but behave very differently.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm disappointed in Forces and I really wanted a Generations 2, that is, a game that was basically Generations but with original levels.

Classic Sonic looks like a massive downgrade from Generations. Too hard to say with Modern Sonic; we haven't seen enough.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I don't think anything will reach the heights of the Sonic 4 topic TBH. Maybe if Sega announced the mythical Adventure 3, I guess. :v

And the core gameplay style doesn't really get that much focus as it is. The focus is way more on using the Wisps/mini gameplay styles than it is being a pared-down boost game.

That said, I agree it didn't make Colors bad. To my recollection they were for the most part were used for alternate routes / score bonuses / Red Rings. I don't really recall them being demanded to progress through the actual levels/game. That said, it's been years since I last played Colors, I dunno,

Lost World though is another story and it's why I'm not really enthusiastic about them returning for Forces (especially with both games sharing the same director).

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Reminder that the mods are watching. Remember to keep being civil. =P

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's fair enough. I'd still argue that they're powerups, but at least a few of them (drill, spike, and hover stand out) do change the gameplay style for a while.

There are a couple of parts where the Wisps are required on a normal playthrough.

Of course, once you've unlocked Super Sonic you can switch that mode on and play through all the stages without Wisps, with a couple of minor changes where the Wisps were previously necessary. They should've had those changes in place anyway, though.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well some of those changes are just like "Spring past the entire stage since you need wisps here." Then again Super Sonic was handled pretty poorly in that game. It'd of been great, but for some reason Super couldn't double jump (made the water levels hell) and he couldn't use Wisps for some odd reason, which was a huge point of the game.

Ah Super Sonic. Lovely reintroduction, yet they screw up each time in some way. In Colors, Super was gimped. In Generations Super had that flying boost that drained rings (thank you modders for disabling those flight paths and fixing the ring drain, yikes), and in Lost World Super had bugged animations and double mouth, and save for Colors those things were fixed by modders in like .2 seconds.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wonder why they did away with ring energy. Collecting rings as a fuel source rather than the souls of your roboticized forest friends made more sense.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably because the boost is basically invincibility while running and rings are everywhere, so adding a specific boost item rather than infinite ring charge makes it so you either have to preserve your boost or really know what you're doing.

16. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork

See, this is where you gotta throw in the towel folks. These people don't want to have a real conversation about the franchise, they just want to throw insults and stretch for any method they can to invalidate others opinions.

News flash Timmit, you don't have to be a sales analyst to see the multitude of ways Sega has been mismanaging the brand. Why don't you try actually addressing the various suggestions I made and refuting those with a well thought out argument instead instead.

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Okay come on now that wasn't even an insult. He's making a point that the variables involved with the sales of Sonic games go beyond the scope of gameplay features and way beyond the layman experience. He's also trying to make sure there isn't too much conflation with game design and sales talk because it's a venn diagram of very different topics with a complicated overlap. It's also not wise to use sales as a raw point about the quality of game design unless it can be backed up by argument very well.

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I felt the insinuation was that unless I'm a sales analyst I have no business discussing the decisions Sega has made which hinder it's sales. I feel my "opinions" are common sense enough that critical thinking is an asset, but special education isn't warranted. Such as, $60 for a 2 hour game is unwise. Defining a play-style as the primary character mechanic (boost), which relies on gimmicks to pad the game. The muddling of the brand and Sonic's identity. These were three low hanging fruit for Timmit to directly respond to, as opposed to my educational/employment background. Everyone who abandoned the series over the last decade didn't need to be sales analysts to take their dollars somewhere else for various reasons. I'm trying to identify what the most obvious of those reasons are so that ideally they can be corrected. What are Timmy's credentials to refute my assertions? How valid are they?

BUT ON SECOND THOUGHT, I don't CARE ANYMORE. NO NEED TO RESPOND TO THIS. It's clear that by the time someone responds the previous stuff you say has already been forgotten, and this has just become a perpetual circle.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    ^

Like if what you described is what you want 3D Sonic to be, that's fine. I don't want to argue with you about if your opinions about game design are right or not. It's just a whole other discussion if it's going to be "this is what Sonic needs to be for it to sell well". I'm certainly not knowledgeable about sales stuff enough to have a discussion about that, and frankly I have my doubts anyone else in this discussion is either. I mean, do you know how the last couple of Michael Bay's Transformers movies managed to make 1.1 billion each? Cause I certainly don't.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    While that's true, adjustment to the certain values could make collecting rings a strategic choice, all in pursuit of better stage times.

You could boost through that turn and take it wide, or you could slow down a bit and take a tighter turn, and collect some rings for some boost fuel in a different section.

And I just had a thought. What if Sega had only to design the courses by hand, and could fill in the rest of the scenery procedurally?

Could that....could that happen?