don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Felik

Felik

I really want to get excited when I hear action/adventure but then I remember that classic Sonic will play a big part in the story and than means that most likely the plot will likely be really stupid or basic and "kid-friendly".

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Action adventure doesn't mean anything. Every Sonic game is billed as an action adventure. Just Google the title of any Sonic platformer along with "Action adventure" and look at the results. They're all described as action and/or adventure, probably because Sonic is less "jumpy" and more "runny" than other platformers.

Basically this isn't news at all.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Im surprised nothing as much as a screenshot hasn't surfaced yet.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They gave a date for when to expect new stuff: March 16th.

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  6. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Oooo, is there a higher resolution version of that? That's just begging to be my wallpaper :specialed:

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Here ya go

pro tip if you put ":orig" after the URL of an image on Twitter you get the original size of the image

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Oh cool. Honestly, Project 2017 had completely fallen off of my radar, what with the relatively large lack of Sonic news since the Summer and whatever news there has been has been focused on Mania instead. But it's really good to know we'll be seeing something very soon. Finally seeing a Sonic game go back into the dark and serious territory to some degree is actually rather exciting. Have they learned anything from the previous awful attempts? Time will tell. I still wish Classic Sonic wasn't in it though...

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Here's a genuine question though - what about that image says "Sonic the Hedgehog" other than maaaaaybe the robots being egg-shaped, which seems a stretch? If you weren't already told it was for a Sonic game it could literally be any generic grimdark thing with robots in. Trying not to be cynical, but still.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I feel like this can be applied to a lot of Sonic levels, specifically all of the ones that go for realism. Obviously, there's stuff like Crisis City, Soleanna and Westopolis which all have fairly negative connotations, but the same is also the case for a great deal City Escape, Station Square/Speed Highway At Dawn and lots of other locations in the Adventure series. It's arguably taken even further in Unleashed where the entire game was based on real world locations with a far lesser sense of fantasy than either of the Adventure games.

The robots in the picture are definitely Sonic in design - they're based on one of the most recognisable bosses from the series and sport the main villain's clothing. There's no "maybe" about that. I'll agree that image and teaser trailer don't really say "Sonic the Hedgehog" as much as palm trees, neon cities and technicolour wildlife, but Sonic's done this kind of angle before. They could do the "apocalypse" or "ruined world" thing very differently like they did in CD. So long as the game still has a sizeable amount of typical Sonic visuals in it though, I welcome the variety. More so than I welcome crap like this, at least.

Totally do get what you're saying though. It just doesn't bother me... yet. And it won't... potentially.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It says nothing about Sonic the Hedgehog, but to be fair they've shown us pretty much nothing about this period, so concept art showing that .001% of content they've shown us is about all they can do.

Hell we don't even have a name for this thing yet.

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults

The annoying bit is that I knew the "orig" thing and totally forgot it existed

EDIT: On the whole "grimdark" thing, is there nobody else who wants Sonic to have an actual story with some actual depth? I'd like to see some indication of what the plot will actually be like before assuming it's going to be corny and badly done.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just for the record: the SXSW panel with new 2017 and Mania info will be held at 3pm PT / 6pm ET this Thursday. It will be live streamed on the official Sonic Twitch page.

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned the day on which it's held, oops. Added that.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So the only options now are grimdark and Lost World? My take on it is that I'd rather have no story than a bad story, but I would like to see a good story. Given the characters though I don't see how you can have a super serious and dark tale though, as you're playing as a cartoon hedgehog chasing around a fat guy shaped like an egg.

Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, and Shadow all had edgy grimdark plots and they all sucked for far more reasons than "they were dark." They were filled with plotholes, bad story elements, and subplots that went no where (Hey how about those 10 endings to Shadow the Hedgehog? Too bad only 2 of them were the actual story, otherwise Eggman should be dead). Sonic Adventure 2's epic climax involves popping boils on a space lizard that's using the Ark's cannon as an adult plaything. They were wise to try and move away from that, but they unfortunately hired poor writers that made some stories that made sense but were inconsequential and dull (I did like how they gave Sonic some character flaws though). If this game's going darker I just hope it does it right.

In retrospect, Sonic Adventure 1 had a decent balance of light hearted and serious, but the script was bad, the voice acting was awful, and the cutscenes were trash. There was a good story in there somewhere it was just conveyed terribly. But in that game you get Eggman trying to blow the town up with a missile, but you also get to explore his private pool and bedroom and get to hear him throw a tantrum when Amy beats his high score in a wack-a-mole game.

Hell hire Flynn he did a good job with the comics.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ian Flynn seriously needs to work on a Sonic game. His work for the comics is great, and he's now worked on Boom as well. The man gets Sonic like nobody at Sonic Team does.

I'm with Dark Sonic on this one. There's a huge space between "underwear for salad" jokes and Sonic getting stabbed and killed by a demon. SA1 and Unleashed are the only games that have managed to find a reasonable balance. The rest all veer off too far in one direction or the other.

16. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    The space lizard using the ARK's cannon as an adult plaything will never not be funny. Or epic. At the same time.

Honestly, anything at this reveal should be better than whatever we got last March, which was an announcement of an announcement. I hope.

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    So is this event at SXSW being streamed? If so where will we be able to watch on the day?

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Few posts above you dude

If you need confirmation of if it's actually being live streamed or not, here you go: https://twitter.com/gene_hf/status/841664430941196288

19. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    No idea how I missed that, thanks though!

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The recent dessert worlds have gotten a lot of flak over the years, and rightfully so, but at least they're fun to look at despite being a poor stylistic fit for the series. Nothing about this game has been, currently.

Tangent, but honestly, seeing all that bitching just gets me thinking about how they could've done Floating Donut World right, because the problem isn't that themes are inappropriate for Sonic, so much as they're not being rendered in the correct style- I think that's a distinction worth noting. Instead of flying pastries, how about a pastry shop? The right patterns, shapes, colors and lighting make all the difference. A bakery zone could actually have been really inspired if the artists could've identified Sonic's design language. There's some beautiful form and color in good confectionery.