don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I'm from latin-america and we almost never get CE stuff, neither from america nor europe. But i get used to import stuff so i don't have problem with exclusives.

I already preordered the Xbox One version (possibly i will buy the game in steam at launch while i wait for the arrival)

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Mania (finally) now has an dedicated page up on the main Sonic the Hedgehog website. Includes a description, the trailer, and a few (hi-res, I think, correct me if I'm wrong) official screenshots.

"A BRAND NEW CLASSIC SONIC EXPERIENCE

2D Sonic is back in an all-new adventure!

Play as Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles as you race through all-new Zones and fully re-imagined classics, each filled with exciting surprises and powerful bosses. Harness Sonic's new Drop Dash, Tails’ flight, and Knuckles’ climbing abilities to overcome the evil Dr. Eggman's robots. Discover a myriad of never-before-seen hidden paths and secrets!

This all-new experience celebrates the best of Classic Sonic, pushing the envelope forward with stunning 60 FPS gameplay and pixel-perfect physics. Welcome to the next level for the world's fastest blue hedgehog. Welcome to Sonic Mania.

Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games in collaboration with SEGA of America, Sonic Mania releases digitally Spring 2017 for Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC. Pre-Order the Collector's Edition now – available only for a limited time!"

Also, here's this banner with what looks to be a somewhat new render of classic Sonic (also on the CE box):

[​IMG]

Looks like this below piece of stock 2D artwork (comparison pic put together by Tracker, I think), but retouched in color and shading to look more like the game artwork of the Genesis era. Looks nice, all the same. Hopefully we can get a version of it separate from the banner.

[​IMG]

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No physical release on a collector's set that costs this price? That's ridiculous, sorry. And to add insult to injury, there's no EU release anyway. Sega Europe, what the fuck do you even do any more?

Would have bought this with a disc or USB-with-installer. Without, nope.

4. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    I'm grabbing this, disappointed with no disc or USB but at the end of the day I want to support the amazing work Taxman and Co are doing.
    Of course I'm hoping this gets announced for Europe too, then I'll cancel the preorder I've got atm.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is really good to know. I was planning on ordering something else on Amazon in a few days anyway after I get paid, so now it's looking like with this as well it'll make sense to get a one-month Prime subscription.

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I'm with Overlord on this one - completely agree on all points. The CE is tempting particularly for the nostalgia blast that is all the cool stuff included but with no disc or USB installer I think I'll pass. I wanted a physical edition of the game as opposed to just cool stuff to go with a digital download.

I wonder if this CE rules out a physical release? Or potentially one is still planned?

7. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Consumerism strikes again!

That is to say, I've placed a preorder.

Gorgeous looking set. Considering I missed the Generations CE, getting this will be wonderful.

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

I got the PS4 version and was able to find it right away.

I too am a little disappointed there's no physical copy, but I was definitely expecting not to get one.

Especially with the whole cartridge/USB. Can't really imagine Sega going through all that trouble.

9. Turbohog

Turbohog

I think this definitely rules out a physical release. If they were going to do one, they'd include it with the collector's edition.

10. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    With the price tag it's got, I'd rather see them putting that money into making sure the statues end up looking good rather than splitting it up for CDs/USBs.

11. Unreality

Unreality

Will this US digital code work on a UK Xbox One? From what I've read - it won't?

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'd gladly pay extra if it'd get a physical copy to happen. :v:

Iirc US codes don't work on European Xbox Live accounts. Same goes for PSN, though it's not that hard to make an US PSN account.

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

A CD or small USB barely costs anything these days.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, I'm not buying it without a physical release.

15. Felik

Felik

I'm not savvy in this kind of stuff but from my understanding producing a physical copy means producing a DRM free copy (I mean how different would a steam version on a usb be different from simply a download code?) and they aren't allowed/don't want to do that.

Can someone tell me if this might be true because that's the only version I have.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's the... second time they've rehashed that cover idea. Sonic, black grid, Green Hill Zone loopy ringy thing. I also like they way they're recycling artwork from Sonic & Tails on the Game Gear - do we not have any artists with original ideas anymore lads?

(this is the sort of statement which has me worried about the focus of Sonic Mania - whether it really is as "new" as it should be)

Mind you I'm not a big fan of collectors' editions anyway (in most cases they're not even considered collectible) - I'd much rather see a standard disc release so it can fit nicely on my shelf.

p.s. I love the way 60FPS is marked as a selling point. "Runs as well as a game from 1991".

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Could be better, but I snagged one.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That's only talking about PC though. It's true that there's not much point to a physical copy of the game if it needs Steam to run anyway. However, it is more useful on PS4 and Xbox One where a physical copy means you don't have to deal with the DRM downloadable games on those consoles have. You don't need to worry about still being able to play the game if, for example, your account gets hacked and you lose access to all the games on that account. And long term there's that if the online services on those consoles would ever be shut down, that you wouldn't have to worry about no longer being able to download the game.

That, and it feels more like you actually own the game with a physical copy. :v:

19. kullenberg

kullenberg

Keep in mind that's not the actual statue in the picture, it's a mockup with a 3d model. There is no telling what kind of quality the actual statue will have.
    Preproduction photos of toys has a long standing tradition of promising more than they can deliver. Not saying it won't be good just that there is no way to tell at this stage.

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm still looking for an answer on these:

1.) Will standard shipping arrive on release day? Or will it take a week or so?

2.) Does this mean no NX release for the game?