don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh my god, those are absolutely beautiful! I'm gonna echo many other people here and say that I wish we could get an entire comic series like that.

In fact, never mind just the comics, that's exactly how Sonic should look in the actual video games as well if you ask me. Amazing stuff.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Flynn for writing the Sonic games and Hesse for lead character designer please. Tyson even re-designed the Deadly Six right after they were revealed to make them fit in a little better into the universe and made it a significant improvement (but really, the originals were so bad there's only so much anyone can do). These guys are basically the most talented people involved currently in the franchise now (not counting our favorite marketing guy, of course :ruby:)

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Doodles of the Sonic Mega Drive designs for Knuckles and Tails:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/703360127315763200

4. More great sketches. Really excited for the comic.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's really just not enough "yes" in the world...

6. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    This guy is my fucking inspiration rn. He mastered the style I've been practicing for a while (*cough shameless plug (second clip)*), the whole CD/OVA-esque Sonic, and he plays it off WELL. like REALLY well.

I love this and everything about it. Art style is on-fucking-point and the subject of the comic is definitely what I can get behind.

7. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I couldn't help but chuckle at the sketch of Knuckles eating grapes. Clearly this guy has read the manual for Sonic 3. :v:

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh. Sweet. Lord.

When are they gonna be takin' pre-orders? I haven't bought a Sonic comic in a few years, but I gotta get in on this.

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Finally, Sonic's love interests. https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/703436809766764546

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it's like I'm seeing sketches of my favorite cartoon. I'm LOVING these! He puts such personality into them.

DAMN if only the guys at Archie got licence to storyboard their own cartoon... :/

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    OMFG, those bishi Eggman eyes. Four months is too long to wait for this goodness.

Edit: He got Classic Amy's head scarf wrong 0/10.

11. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet

Doesn't Classic Amy have a different Hammer design aswell?

[​IMG]

:v:

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I don't care if Amy has a bandana or a headband. That artwork is amazing. I tried getting into the Archie comics back in like 2012-2013, but I ended up getting bored just like I do with every manga or comic series I've tried to read (I ordered the comics for like a year and I read volumes 1-11 of the archives and I have to say I liked it a lot more when it didn't have a super-serious plot all the time. I'm okay with some dark moments, but when everything is so... bleh and meh, it's not the easiest thing to just jump into. Since Universe is relatively new I may jump into that eventually). However this classic comic looks like it's gonna be really good and I'll definitely read it when it comes out.

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

These are wonderful, the main five are full of personality, Amy in particular looks so mischievous, love it.
    I wonder how Eggman's eyes will be colored. Hope it's white and blue, it fits with that particular pose.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Once again, Eggman proves to us that he's the best character.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Remember, this takes place after Sonic 3 but before Sonic Adventure. Maybe she's beginning to swap her stuff out.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Late response but HOT DAMN!, that Sonic Mega Drive cover artwork and Tyson's corresponding sketches for are just incredible. In terms of expression and getting the JP classic Sonic / Sonic CD / OVA artstyle nailed down, it's something I haven't really seen outside of fanwork in the longest of time. It's just beautiful.

I don't buy comic books at all, let alone the Archie Sonic ones; but if I ever see a copies of Sonic Mega Drive at my local store, I genuinely would make an effort to pick one up.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, I can't believe I'm interested in a Sonic comic.

I also want a cartoon to come out of this. We all know they could pull it off, if they wanted.

Only according to those specific designs, which may have been made just for this decade's neo-classic merchandise.

Do we really have any other documented (and confirmed to come from the classic era) example where Amy's headband/bandana/whatever looks like that? I suspect that, whoever made it, may have just misinterpreted the classic drawings...

EDIT: The only example I've found that comes close is Amy's Sonic The Fighters in-game model but, anywhere else, that thing seems to look just like in these designs.

So I guess it may have been a small design change for Fighters that didn't catch on, since it's not in effect even on her Character Select icon?

18. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Considering those ortographic designs look just like the artworks and model sheets in Jam in terms of detail, I'd say it's a lot more likely that simply since there never was any artwork displaying Amy from the back, they never added the small knot in it. Much like the fact she has less spines than Sonic, something that's not apparent in any artwork I remember of- but is apparent in her Fighters model as well.

19. Pengi

Pengi

The Sonic the Fighters Amy plush has a wrap around head scarf too. I'm very confident that the Classic Amy model sheets are actually from the 1990s.

20. http://archiecomics.stores.yahoo.net/sonicmegadrive.html

Sonic Mega Drive is up for preorder.