don't click here

De-listed downloadable SEGA games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Sep 1, 2012.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Cause random NeoGAF users know more about that than we do? :v:

Considering that all of the games that are being removed had music by the same composer, I'd say it's likely because of that. Not that I know much about this stuff, but it could be that the license was tied to those specific ports.

EDIT: Just looked through the topic, while they talk about it nobody says that it couldn't be the reason. If anything what they say supports the theory.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that the music is an issue getting it to platforms, but XBLA/Wii VC were among the first instances of the games being brought to a digital platform where it could be pulled. We've seen plenty of titles vanish due to licenses expiring, Out Run, After Burner Climax, Simpsons Arcade, etc. anyone mentioning the music was likely inferring that.

An odd thing with PSN is that the titles came much later to that service, right? Could be that whatever contract is worked out during development is still active for that title, and will expire later. These are all just assumptions, it'd be really great to hear an official statement on how these things work sometime.

EDIT: TimmiT ninja'd me. :(

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic Advance is still available, right?

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    In Japan, yeah. Sonic Advance 2 and 3 are listed in the database as well so those games should be released on the Wii U eShop sometime in the future

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
  6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That was what I was trying to get at.

You guys seem to be obsessed with music being the cause of all things regarding games being taken down/not being commissioned etc.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'll just quote what Mykonos said:
    Sonic Advance has only been on the eShop for less than a year. And I can imagine SEGA not wanting to bother updating the license for the XBLA and Wii VC ports considering how old those systems are.

It sounds like the most likely reason, considering the games that are being removed and how long they've been on those services.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    As far as I'm aware, this has nothing to do with anything on my end, There is no Taxman/Stealth Sonic 1 & 2 for those platforms (well, unless you're me, in which case you have all zee platforms :v: )

9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I noticed that Sonic 1 and 2 Remastered were also pulled from the Japanese iTunes store.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    So does that mean they aren't available for iOS devices in that region anymore?

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Well there goes my wishful thinking :P
    Such a shame though but that topic already got debated.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, if this was intended to get me to spend my Wii Points, it kinda worked.

Although I only bought the Master System game. I have cartridges of the Genesis ones, don't really need a thousandth copy of them.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't get what you're implying. If Sonic Advance was released not too long ago on the VC, its license will be lasting for a few years.

14. Clearly this means....
    GOD DAMN IT! Wait, what if this is a Sonic CD Steam type situation where they sent someone else to do the ports and perhaps will be letting you know after it appears in the stores?

edit: I seriously think SEGA just troll at times, their treatment of Stealth Tax's Sonic 1 and 2 has just been one big laugh, "Let's make the best version of these games, ...and then lock them to the worst platform imaginable for them!"

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They'd probably still contact Taxman and Stealth about that. :v:

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So is anything even de-listed? Specifically in Japan?

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Okay, Sonic 1 and 2 have been taken off of the JAPANESE XBLA.

However, my other question still hasn't been answered. When the hell were Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic 1 SMS put BACK UP on the Japanese Wii VC after being taken down in 2012? Was Sonic & Knuckles also put back up?

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not sure Jax. I barely kept up with any Wii downloads unfortunately. It must have been done with very little fanfare.

In any case, it seems that it was nothing to do with the music. Nakamura posted a blog about the games being removed, and while the Google Translate is as rough as ever, it seems he doesn't really know why while pointing out that it's nothing soundtrack related.

http://dreamscometrue.com/masablog/2015/11/02/10366

Google is giving me the following, dunno if anyone wants or needs to do a better translation job:

He also pimps the Sonic 1&2 OST at the end of the post as still being available for purchase. :specialed:

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  20. Can't access it on my end., even when I searched through "STEAM".