don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    That big loop looks pretty fun. Makes me think of the giant loops in newer games, and I'm surprised we never saw it in a hack until now.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I did not see that coming. I am happy that it came but I thought your project was SA1 exclusive.

Speaking of which, hope this doesn't hurt Final Egg or Sky Deck's chances of being in the mod.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd love to see Final Egg...

I'd hate to see Sky Deck... while it would likely look nice and be a nice thing to be able to pull off technically, I HATE that fucking zone...
    I've recently been playing the Adventure titles for the first time ever over the past year... and Sky Deck is the level that has given me the biggest headache so far.

All else aside, I like the idea of putting Adventure 1 and 2 levels together.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't like sky deck the level as much as I like the music and the aesthetics of it. I figure if it's remade there's a chance it won't be as much of a pain in the ass.

6. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    I love Pyramid cave. It's going to be great once the enemies and everything are in place and you know, it doesn't send you to your death.

Also, I disagree. The camera angle would be much better in that section if it were in the same position, rotated 180 degrees so it was just looking directly at a wall. It would really capture that Sonic Adventure Camera feel.

Also, I have a question for all of you
    [​IMG]
    How well do rings work against an uppercut to the balls?

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    We need a cup monitor now, don't we?

8. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Sanik haz bawlz?

9. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    [​IMG]

Some sprites I've got ready to put in my Sketchhog hack... They still need a little bit of cleanup (I could use some help with this... as I'm not a great spriter)... but I'm putting them in as is for now. Lemme know what you think. Those lines at the top are the palette colors for the sprite.

[​IMG]

Also... something else I've finally started working on again yesterday. Followers of Sonic Classic Heroes will know what this is. I haven't added the sufficient sprites to Sonic's set for carrying, just yet... but Sonic CAN pick things up, as well as throw or drop them.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Aww Doodle Sonic is so adorable, I was wondering if anyone would add that design to Sonic 1. :3 And Sonic picking up objects, now that's pretty damn awesome! Yeah I'm not the best spriter myself, looks like we fall in the same category. Good at programming, bad at making art. :v: Can't wait to play your hacks!

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    If I can figure out how to record video from an emulator... perhaps someone can direct to the easiest method to do this... I've tried different methods so far with little to no luck...
    I'll gladly post a video of the carrying objects hack.

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    KEGA Fusion has a "log AVI" option, you could give that a go?

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'll need to search for another version of Fusion... the one I have (3.51) doesn't seem to have such a feature.

14. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Um yeah.. Fusion has been at v3.64 for almost 3 years now. I don't get why so many you guys still use older versions. Ehhh, but seriously just get the latest version.

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    My first ever upload. Please excuse the quality... anyway, the real meat and potatoes is what Sonic is doing. Enjoy.

16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Very very nice! I love what I'm seeing. Plenty of potential there! If objects could be replaced elsewhere too, aswell as just thrown, that could make for some cool hidden areas by moving springs, rocks etc. to reach previously unreachable areas. =P

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    *edit* Never mind, you already fixed it.

Anyway, looks good! I'm curious about how you went about doing this. Can't wait to see where this goes!

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I added a new subroutine that objects will run if they can be carried. It checks for certain circumstances to be present, such as Sonic pushing against the instance... not being at an angle or already carrying something... and if these are true, the object is turned into a new object. this object takes the appearance of the object that was "picked up". This can then be thrown. The ID and subtype from the previous object are stored, and will be used to help determine what happens to thrown objects. The process of how Sonic picks up the object is changing, as I'm constantly trying to explore the best way to code this feature... what I have right now could possibly slow the game down if multiple objects performed this check at once... This is the best solution I've mustered thus far though... in the limited time I've touched this.

Anyway, As for the above suggestion of setting down objects from PsychoSk8r, that is something I have planned as well. Among other things, the possibility of acquiring powerups via throwing monitors is also on the drawing board as well.

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Ahahahaha, *ZZZZZZZING*

Well done, that is both excellent work and amusing, thank you! I would like to see some carrying sprites added though, perhaps you could do what Sonic Crackers/Knuckles Chaotix did. Have the arms seperated from the body as a seperate object, so that the arms can be changed freely depending on wether you're carrying something, or just generally walking/running.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    A double post, but for probable cause.

Have any of you guys seen those pretty visualisations that come with media players? You know the ones, they fluxuate and change with a nice blend of colours, depending on the music.

I was inspired by Windows Media Player's "Battery" effects, and made this for my Mega Drive game (for the sound test). It's far from complete mind and I may change the logo, but the basic concept is there and in working order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylT7Cz6Hjc