Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I think they are modeled that way!

2. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Anyone else think that maybe tilt controls are involved in some fashion? I only think this is a small possibility because even when running straight Sonic wobbles back and forth quite a bit in some parts of the trailer, like his head is tilting or something.

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    While it does look like a fun game, I'm not getting the sense that I'll reap nearly as much enjoyment from it as I did from Unleashed and Generations. The debut gameplay trailers for each of those made me desperately wish I could play them RIGHT NOW. This looks more like something I'll have to explore the mechanics of and doesn't appear to be nearly as conducive to speedrunning. Further, where are we even getting Super Mario Galaxy vibes from this? I mean, I see the resemblance, but this looks JUST like what X-Treme might've been if it were developed today.

Maybe Tiara Boobowski will show up?

NOPE I TAKE BACK EVERY HESITANT THING I SAID GAME OF THE DECADE

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    3DS screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also Wii U screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.ign.com/images/games/sonic-lost-worlds-3ds-168716/51a527919670cc93d630b20a

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I wonder what we're going to see tomorrow? They did say something was going to be shown on the 29th (unless they just decided to release this trailer early)...

Regardless, I really want to see more gameplay of this; I'm interested in seeing how exactly the 'after-image' ability thing works. Also, that 'homing chain' looked more like Sonic was rapidly bouncing on them. This leads me to think it functions more like a more accurate and controllable Ancient Light/Light Speed Attack, and not like your everyday homing attack. Either that, or its a homing attack with some kind of slight forward momentum effect.

EDIT: Wow, the 3DS version actually looks kind of impressive so far. But that Blue Giant Caterkiller is reminding me of a certain Mario enemy...

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    The chasing red sandworm/catapillar proves it; DIMPS is still asleep at the wheel, as that's exactly like the end of Green Hill act 2 in Generations 3DS. At least there's no apparent boost and it's 3D playing, but other than that... meh.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    At the 3DS images...

ABOUT FUCKING TIME THEY MAKE A 3D PORTABLE GAME. Good lord. Looks cool though, and lol at that lady caterkiller.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Holy shit, an actual 3D portable Sonic game. Mark me impressed.

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Those screenshots and that trailer video are really doing a number on my will to maintain my 'no new consoles' policy. Grumble grumble

10. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Ohgads, I almost woke up the whole house. xD

Anyway, it's looking good so far! You can definitely tell that this was made for a Nintendo system. It almost feels like this is going on at the exact same time as Mario Galaxy, except Sonic is confined to a single galaxy while Mario is out chasing Bowser across the entire universe. :specialed:

What's also neat is that they're shifting away from boost-based gameplay and more towards open-ended platforming. I'm kinda hoping to see some more open-ended stages eventually which I think would help capitalize on that aspect. Also, I wouldn't really mind if Sonic was the only playable character this time around, but if this gameplay formula proves successful, I'd love to see a future game where the main trio are fully playable again.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Preview with loads of details: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/sonic-lost-world-taking-a-page-from-mario-galaxy

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just about to post that actually. Interesting read, what I find interesting is the concept of a run button (or rather buttons). I guess it doesn't stem too far off from the boost, but it is one way to control your character. Bummed out that Sonic is the only playable character again, but I'm curious what the unlockables will be like since I feel like Super Sonic would be epic in this game. Also yessss wisps are confirmed.

Tell me Wii U owners, is touching something on the screen flow breaking? I feel like it would be.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Actually, they said that you can play using the Wii remote and nunchuck as well. Also that a second player can use the gamepad's touch screen to help the player somehow.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Another food level? Bleh. Not a deal breaker, but Sweet Mountain was my least favorite Colours level.

15. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    No kidding! I was actually thinking about this very idea a few weeks ago:

I would liken this to the dashing ability in the PS1 Spyro games - Spyro walked at normal speed until you held down a button that made him charge forward. I kept thinking to myself that if I ever had the means to create a 3D Freedom Planet game, I'd want the characters to walk about as fast as a typical platform character unless you held a button down for fast running. Such a feature opens up a lot of possibilities for tighter controls and eliminates the need for autopilot sections.

16. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    *reads IGN*

"Speaking of playing as Sonic, while the iconic hedgehog is the only character players will directly control, friends such as Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make appearances in the story."

DAMN IT.

*looks at 3DS images; clearly, Dimps is making this game*

DAAAMN IIIIT. :argh:

I mean, come on! How can a game do so much right and still be suffering from some of the same problems? It's still Sonic only, and there's still a gimpy Dimps version for handhelds?

Come on, Sonic Team; haven't you pretty much nailed Sonic-only gameplay now?

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That makes sense- I'm gonna have to get used to that, because Sonic's never had a *RUN* button, but at the same time, I feel as if I pick up a controller it'll be natural. I mean, instead of pressing DOWN for the spin attack, you're just holding another button to protect yourself from the elements instead, and this gives you greater and more meaningful control than the boost from the other games.

Nice to see that's still an option with the new fast roll ability though.

I think SEGA could potentially have found the ideal evolution of Sonic here. The game sounds and looks like a natural progression from the Mega Drive games and looks like it fits right with 3D Blasts world, and they're finally looking at giving the series the exploration back from the Adventure series, coupled with the new features and styles of the "Modern" games.

Really looking forward to this!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Iizuka has a strict no one but Sonic policy. I don't quite understand why.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

What the hell is going on in this picture?

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    YES!! I've been begging for Sega to give Sonic a manual low, medium and high-speed mode for years, I'm so freaking happy.

I was pretty excited for this game before. I am SUPER excited now!

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Probably because everyone kept bitching about all the characters in SA, SA2, Heroes, and 2006. Nevermind that the problem wasn't that there were too many characters, but that their gameplay didn't fit. Fans simply understood it as "I don't like playing as Big" and Iizuka assumed they knew what they were talking about.