don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    1) If I recall, there should be buttons to select the coordinates from either terrain or an object.
    2) You'll need 3ds, (obviously) and Dude's Spline Exporter MAXScript, which can be found in the SonicGLVL folder under export_scripts/3dsmax.

2. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but how can I get Modern Sonic's skeleton? I would like to edit animations instead of having to create custom ones.

3. Introducing...Planet Wisp...without Wisps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9WjFFUJSU

And because I was stupid, I uploaded the second half of the video only. Sorry about that, but it doesn't affect the actual mod in any way. Also, this is only an Act 2 release of the mod since I don't feel like working on Act 1 at the moment. It'll come soon, though.

Download (already in the description of the video): http://www.mediafire.com/?wlhem23bi6p9m6t

4. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    1) I must be blind or stupid (or both, haven't decided), 'cause I still can't change the coordinates for m_MonkeyTarget. Selecting the parameter doesn't even yield anything in the set value box; it's just blank. Can anyone lend a hand?
    2) Thank you for that, I appreciate it. I'm holding off on trying it now, but I'll try and mess with the program in the near future.

5. You're going to need my updated templates, available here. I recommend that you remove your current media and templates folders before extracting the updated templates, so you don't have any excess files laying around (I reorganized a couple of the folders).

6. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    What do some of the more seasoned hackers think of the feasibility of adding Oculus Rift support?
    While Sonic doesn't game-play wise lend itself as well to VR as other types of games, it seems like that kind of speed and motion would be almost like a rollercoaster. Just imagine feeling like you are actually running down a city street at a billion miles per hour, looking over your shoulder, and seeing a giant truck with buzz-saws coming straight at you.

From what I gather, the components needed would be:
    1. Special 3d Driver to pump the game properly to the glasses (3rd party drivers like Vireo are already working on doing this for games like Skyrim; the fact that generations natively supports stereoscopic gameplay may help in this regard)
    2. Some kind of camera override to force the game into a first person camera during all gameplay sections
    3. Make Sonic invisible in first person mode

There might be other control considerations needed to make this playable; for example, running in the player's look direction along with tightening the turn radius to make that feel more natural seems like it would be good in many parts of the game (but not all of them, so I'm iffy on that)

If it seems feasible enough I'd probably go ahead and get a Rift dev kit to hack away at this.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    While the Oculus Rift looks amazing and I legitimately think it could be future of gaming, I don't think Sonic Generations would work well with it because it's largely played from a sidescroller perspective. Besides that, I think I'd puke. :P

Video of someone using the Oculus Rift for those who don't know what it is or aren't convinced that it works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI

8. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    You, sir, are a wizard! I can now edit the m_MonkeyTarget coordinates! Thank you so much!

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Just an FYI, but your pack disables, or removes the guides for the springs.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So, guys. I got a computer that can actually run this now. And after downloading GMI and a mod or two to try out...the game won't even open, apparently there's a file missing or something. I've reinstalled it twice (it's a legit purchased copy too) and that isn't fixing it.

I'd love to be able to try out all the wonderful things you folks are doing with this game. I'm just terrible at making shit work apparently. Am I supposed to wait to put GMI and mods into the game's folders until after I've played it once or what? Sorry to be taking up space in this topic considering I'm probably further from being a tech member than anybody else here, but I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the General Generations thread.

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I see a lot of us are being hyped by that video. :v:

I was wondering what would be necessary. While the stereoscopic 3D is there, one problem is the fisheye distortion needed for the lenses. Someone was working on a 3D driver hack for a bunch of games already, and it's gonna be released for free later, so hopefully that fixes the issue. Don't expect to be able to hack in the camera/head tracking though. Not having proper camera angles in a game like this could really break the immersion since you'd see a lot of low-detailed/unexistent geometry to the sides(most 2D sections have no geometry behind the camera for obvious reasons). That and the fact that it's constantly loading/unloading terrain that isn't on your view.

It would certainly make for a nice way to watch it though, you'd just have to keep the camera static.

Put the SonicGMI.exe and cpkredir.dll in the game's folder where SonicGenerations.exe is. Put the mods folder wherever you want, SonicGMI will default to whatever folder it's in(like common/sonic generations/mods). You just have to put any mods you download in folders inside there(and make sure each folder has its own mod.ini). You can edit the location of the mods folder by clicking the button next to the first text box in the top-right, and clicking save inside the mods directory. You'll know if you did it right if the mods appear on the list.

If the game's just crashing at startup, either check it's updated or post the specific error.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Thanks Dario. I'll see how it all goes once it's finished redownloading/reinstalling. I guess I'll be back if it doesn't work.

EDIT: Got it. Did some cache validation and what not and now it's workin'. This is totally tits. You guys are geniuses. Thanks for makin' dem cool mods.

13. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Anyone want to try adding this guy in?
    [​IMG]

14. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I do pretty much like your model, it would be cool if you or someone ported it into SG. Not sure if it would go well as a boss model or a player model, although it would be funny if there was actually a difference between a modern and a classic version of him.

15. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking

Wow, that's pretty decent.

16. Squidgy

Squidgy

That Mecha Sonic model looks fantastic. I would love to be able to play as him.

The only problem with someone making him playable is that they'd have to make completely new animations. It wouldn't be nearly as easy as rigging him to Sonic's skeleton.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I can see him being an interesting replacement for Classic Metal Sonic (the boss), in Metal Sonic Generations...

18. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I can rig him to Sonic's skeleton. His rig is very simple. I just don't have his skeleton.

19. Sporks

Sporks

Would make a great replacement for a rival boss. Perhaps Silver? Metal Sonic is an obvious choice, but he's classic Metal, so you might not be able to fit it to his animations.

20. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    If you'd want, I could try getting the model to work in-game. (basic rigging/scaling, properly formatted textures, working materials with the right amount of shine, etc.)

Just from looking at your rendered image, the overall proportions should work just fine with Modern Sonic's skeleton.