don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Paraxade

Paraxade

Personal opinons aside, the issue with doing a combat-oriented level in Generations is that there is no mechanism to fire off an event when an enemy dies, unless the enemies in question are the egg shield pawns from the Seaside Hill Rouge mission (which won't work so well in a normal stage, for obvious reasons). This means you can't have a door or cage or something that opens when you kill all the enemies in the area like the original level did, so you need some kind of workaround - either leaving the door out entirely, or hiding a button somewhere you have to press to open the door (which would feel very forced imo), or having the door automatically open when you get near it. I would probably go with the latter unless you can think of a better option. (edit: On second thought, I'd probably take out the door entirely.)

In any case it's just one more thing that makes adapting levels from other games into Generations a challenge, so good luck.

2. Faseeh

Faseeh

Well, considering it was from Sonic Heroes, I don't know, it might make sense to put in the friends here and there.

I mean, I do plan on giving some references to Heroes that still fit in for Frog Forest to make my port more original.

I am actually helping out with a Grand Metropolis + Power Plant port (No, not the huge one) and well I was thinking where there to you know block off paths with switches or leave that out. What do you guys suggest?

3. I thought a little bit about porting Heroes levels the other day. (My PC can't handle it, so I can't really do anything just yet) I had an idea about re-skinning the pulleys and zip-lines to look like Tails and Knuckles so it would look like Tails would be pulling you upwards or Sonic would grab onto Knuckles and glide to different places, to kind of play off the teamwork gimmick that Heroes used. Problem is, I don't think you can add animations to the pulleys or zip-lines, can you? I mean, Tails could possibly work, but Knuckles would kind of look like he's just floating in place, wouldn't he?

By the way, I know somebody mentioned it earlier, but I don't think there was a response to his question. Do we have a tool or something to extract level data from the Wii version of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing? I got the game a few days ago and was playing it with my little brother, and it occurred to me that it could be fun to play through the tracks in the Generations engine. Add in that trick Dario came up with a while ago where he showed a video of him playing through the same area multiple times but adding objects each time, to keep track of the laps, and we could see who can come up with the best time racing through that.

4. Faseeh

Faseeh

Oh okay, sorry to ask such a noob question but...

How do I put in a bobsled and some mission blocks into a stage I am porting (goes over City Escape btw)?

You know, it appears in GLvl but not in the game so yeah...

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    You need to find out where the bobsleigh's pedestal thing is.

6. Paraxade

Paraxade

You need to copy their respective files (models, textures, materials, collision, skeleton, and animation files) out of whatever levels they're used in and into ghz200 (or whatever level you're writing over). They'll usually be in the nohashtag_cmn.ar.00 file.

Yeah, you could do that but it would likely look weird as hell. A better idea might be to replace the helicopter with Tails and the rocket with Knuckles. Could be interesting if done well I suppose.

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
  8. ProfessorSkillz

ProfessorSkillz

Would it be possible to change the ball physics and sonic's jump height to match the Genesis titles?
    Sonic's Jump Height doesn't feel as high as it should be, and his rolling form just seems to not gain as much speed.

9. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Yes. There is a hack already out there called Fixing Sonic Forever with those changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Dz7haWA7E

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah wasn't that Twlightzoney's first hack? it is a pretty awesome physics hack.

EDIT: Whoops sorry there Lobotomy. :v:

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    That's actually Lobotomy's handiwork, it also includes fixes and tweaks for Modern Sonic.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Whoops! sorry my bad :p

Yeah I really like how he replaced the slide with a roll, it fits Modern a bit more.

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Okay, since someone has to break this horrible silence, allow me to do so with Aquarium Park [Modern] WIP.

Since SonicHyuga is back at work on the port, I figured it was as good a time as any to get back on my remix.

I'm a noob musician, so feel free to criticize. That's how I learn. :v

14. That sounds pretty good. Did you use bits from the map's song as well?

15. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Uh... not intentionally.

16. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Well, I've decided what my first Sonic Generations Character mod of 2013 will be...
    I'll be working on Super Sonic Generations Version 6...

Some of the new things I want to add won't be possible until I can make .model files that utilize morphers.
    Until then, I'm mostly working on making fixes, updates, and improvements to the HUD graphics, as well as the various Super Form models.
    (As is usual, you can click on the images to view them at full size.)
    [​IMG]
    Look at Super Sonic's fur. It looks a bit more "glowy" than it did in earlier versions of Super Sonic Generations.
    In the previous versions, I only changed the model and textures when porting his model over Sonic. He still used all of the material / shader parameters from Sonic's regular model.
    Now, he's using the proper "Super Sonic" material / shader parameters.
    Additionally, I modified the textures a bit, and even utilized a few of Sonic's textures from Sonic Unleashed.

[​IMG]
    Now, here's Classic Super Sonic using similar shader / material parameters as Modern Super Sonic.

For all of the non-Sonic Super forms, I heavily modified their specular and displacement textures, made fixes to their diffuse textures (if needed,) gave them Sonic Unleashed reflection textures, and altered their material/shader parameters to be more like Super Sonic's parameters (though the "glowy" effect on their fur isn't as noticeable on them as it is on the two Sonics.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's how Modern and Classic Super Tails look with their fixes.

[​IMG]
    Super Knuckles.

[​IMG]
    Super Shadow (Sadly, his fur still looks green-ish white during the Rival Battle.)

[​IMG]
    Super Silver. Notably, his eyes ended up being overly shiny at first. Even when I changed the vertex colors of his eyes, they were still too shiny. Notably enough, using the (cube-map) eye reflection texture from Sonic Unleashed actually prevents the whole "eyes are way too shiny" problem that a lot of model imports have.

[​IMG]
    Burning Blaze. In earlier versions, I forgot to include the red coloring on the tip of her tail.

[​IMG]
    Combo Breaker!
    Unlike the above characters, Classic Neo Metal Sonic got a completely different model instead of just using the same model with new materials, shaders, and textures.
    For reference, the new model is heavily based on the Classic Neo Metal Sonic from Metal Sonic Generations.

[​IMG]
    C-c-c-combo Breaker! (What the heck? This isn't even a Super form at all...)
    This is Eggman in his Alternate Outfit from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle's multi-player mode (Complete with the black coat, hat, and the goggle-glasses.)

I'm planning on giving alternate outfits to all of the characters that lack Super Forms (besides Espio, since I gave him his whole "Knuckles Chaotix color-changing skin" effect.)

The overall song composition sounds great so far. I can't wait to hear the finished version! :thumbsup:

17. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    Aquarium Park is definitely looking good now; no question about that.

[​IMG]

The only thing is the water physics. It only seems to want to handle it in box format, which doesn't work well for this stage AT ALL. :V

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I kind of wish someone would do an Amy Mod, Yep.

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I was going to make a joke about how we all can't just stop because it's hammer time, but then I found a video with footage of an actual Amy mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmM_Gvd5Ag0

Before you ask, no, I don't know where to download it from.

20. Jogita

Jogita

Hacking Sonic games since 2011. Member
    Somewhere in the USA
    Sonic Adventure 2006.
    So I'm trying to get Sonic's skeleton so I can edit his animations. But, just how do I get his skeleton? I tried to import his .model into 3DS Max and export the skeleton with Havok Content Tools, but whenever using hkxcmd, it always tells me that the skeleton could not be located in "skeleton.hkx".