don't click here

NiGHTS HD (2012 Release)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I actually enjoyed myself while playing it. I can see what people are talking about, but it didn't bother me until (again) I tried to paraloop Gillwing.

Although SEGA might try fixing the problem (on everything except the Xbox) if they get enough complaints.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I certainly won't be buying a port that doesn't offer at the very least an equal experience to the original game's... So I hope they do.

3. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    So they can fuck that up too?

Or is it, like, the rules to throw money at this company unconditionally?

Ladies and gentlemen, the last 6 years of being a Sega fan, brought to you in one sentence. Good night and good freaking luck.

4. dsrb

dsrb

Honestly, I tend to play using a normal controller, too, despite the fact that among my various editions of the game is an American box-set including an analogue one. And you're right: it's usable enough. But of course, that's not the point here!

5. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    TRiPPY and DiGi are SEGA employees who worked as BETA testers. They've been reporting the complaints. There's a reason I emphasized the "might."

You know that Microsoft demands $40,000 for a single patch, right? I was mostly mocking them when I wrote "except the Xbox."

Calm the fuck down, it's all good.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Damn, I thought you were serious. =P

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It's unlikely they will do Burning Rangers unless Sonic Team treats their source codes better then the rest of Sega (which I wouldn't find surprising given that yuji naka is an egomaniac).

They would have to recode a lot of the game though - which might be challenging given that BR pushed the Saturn very, very far.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Correction: Microsoft affords publishers a single free patch per-game, and after that they charge $40,000 per patch. Though, if we're being anal, I've heard it's actually based on the file-size, and there are hard file-size limits (patches cannot exceed something like 5mb, give or take). That is why Sonic Adventure 2 HD is getting a patch, because the first one's free. NiGHTS has yet to be patched, therefore it can be assumed the only money out of Sega's pocket is what they're paying their coders.

Anyway, I know some people are going to frown at the logo in this video, but I made a comparison for old controls vs. new controls, and a few other things to accompany my review for THE SITE WHICH MUST NOT BE NAMED BUT IS NAMED IN THIS VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTqxDugHe_s

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Upload a logo-less version. :specialed:

Not bad, though. You can see the differences well enough, though while clunky, it wasn't terribly unplayable.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    also title the logoless version something like "professional analysis" and use the damn song because at this point its actually kinda funny

11. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

I'm amazed they're actually patching SA2. It might be safe to assume they'll do the same with NiGHTS if they get enough complaints. As long as they also fix the colors of the idyea captures in saturn mode, the timing glitches for the cutscenes in twin seeds, and the obnoxious sound problems in the Wizeman boss. Along with the controls, of course.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hang on, those clouds in the dream loading sequence appear in my copy of Saturn NiGHTS.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yeah, those have always been there.

14. Yes, because a botched or disappointing point somehow erases the Saturn version, so why the hell even make the port available in the first place? Nice to know you're a proponent of limiting people's access to games.

15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Yeah, buy a bad version of a game so they can make more bad versions of games! For you to buy! What else are you gonna do with all that money, save it?

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I think the point he was trying to make is that, for some people, a somewhat botched port is better than nothing at all, given that they might not have easy access to the original game or its respective console.

17. Yes, iGamr is right. I don't see anything about the NiGHTS or Sonic Adventure 2 port that is so outrageously bad to the point of declaring that they shouldn't have ever been made, or they're a detriment. It's important to step outside of the bubble and realize it's making a game available to many people who wouldn't otherwise seek it out. Especially NiGHTS when the only other viable option is to buy a Saturn and a copy of NiGHTS. This sort of release makes it so much more available for mass consumption, and I support more catalog titles being made available in this fashion.

Would I like the upmost love and attention being paid to them? Of course. But I would never say "Man, I wish the Backbone releases never happened." It's better than nothing.

18. I'd argue that the controls are so bad in this port that it may as well not exist.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you were desperate to play this game, you'd have bought a Saturn. NiGHTS is common and though prices are a bit expensive, it's nothing compared to the stupidity surrounding something like Radiant Silvergun.

If you bought the XBLA/PSN version, it likely wasn't out of desperation, but rather, convenience. And my guess is if you held off buying NiGHTS for sixteen years, you can probably wait another x years until a better version comes out. Which it will.

For the desperate people this "HD" version is just another option on the table, but as it's a lesser option... it's probably not needed. Conversely buying NiGHTS for XBLA/PSN helps to send a signal that poor conversions are perfectly fine. This should not play worse than something made in 1996.

This release encourages more people to play the game, but it's not a case where they couldn't play it if they wanted to. It just saves them loading up ebay and maybe £20-£30.

20. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Not that 3D Control pads are hard to get a hold of, a number of people are likely to just settle with the standard controller for the Saturn. Has there been any real difference between playing D-Pad on the Saturn and the re-release?

Heck, whats say one would plug in a USB Saturn controller or even get one of these:

[​IMG]

It can't be that different, right?

I—ah...yeah that. Well said.