don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jeeVMYz0o
    Here's a video showing how useful vertex coloring can be on imported models (AKA making certain parts no longer look unnaturally shiny.)
    Oh, and there's a different Metal Sonic color scheme and some Super-Emerald powered Hedgehogs showing up too. And the whole thing is comparing stuff from my last modset release...

2. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    This looks... oddly amazing. It looks like the sky is on fire rather than cloudy!

Geez, rays in this game can give VERY interesting effects indeed!

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Well, they will fit in every level, because they're colored the same as the environment around them, generally the skybox and background.

I was wondering why my specmaps were so shiny when I textured Twilightzoney's CG Sonic model.

4. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Guys, is it me or are meshes with some form of vertex coloring the only things that aren't getting the monochrome diffuse glitch... I mean think about it, blend materials have vertex coloring to them, and Crisis City, correct me if I'm wrong, has materials with vertex coloring to them because of the red tinting from the lava (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone else find this to be at least plausible?

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Yeah, Zoney said that yesterday, and I was thinking it myself. What is the shader for vertex coloring?

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    AFAIK, there isn't one. Diffuse on its own supports vertex colors.

7. Chimera

Chimera

Castlevania prettyness
    Dude's right. Vertex coloring in general is usable across ALL materials. For blend materials, it blends two materials together. For other cases, it defines properties specific to the shader itself I believe. It can also be used with alpha blending.

But for standard materials, vertex coloring acts as a... multiply channel.

But if that's so, why would all these objects end up being white? Maybe vertex coloring with Unleashed common materials is actually ADDITIVE instead of MULTIPLICATIVE? :o (in theory that means changing all the pure-white colors to pure-black COULD fix this, however that would make everything black for the Generations renderer...)

Perhapse, if I'm right about it being additive instead of multiplicative, there might be a way to change it back to multiplicative...?

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The same shaders are used in the HUB and those use regular vertex coloring. As I said before, the thing that acts hardcoded to give the white world the color/white transition is acting as if they were non-colored by default instead of colored.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So, there still isn't a way to import a .model-terrain without exporting the entire scene? The model to dae convertor just output blanks when open'd in max.
    Code (Text):
    1. While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
    2.     -ERROR: Unable to parse xml/dae file

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

The support for .terrain-model has been in the SVN for a while... update to that one instead.
    [​IMG]

Only problem is you need to drop the .terrain-model into the resources folder of the stage so it can find the materials and textures. When Terrain Mode is implemented in SonicGLvl, it'll let you export your current selection of Terrain Nodes.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    When I looked in the when to browser for it (using v5.7.7), all I saw was the ability to select .model.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Update to the SVN and check again. :v: Do NOT rename the file, the .model and .terrain-model headers are completely different, there's no way to detect it properly other than the extension.

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Awesome. By the way, do I need the instance files too? Or just the .terrain-model files and the DDS files.

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Instance files are not needed. Just make sure the .materials and the .dds are in the same folder(simply drop the .terrain-model in the resources folder for example), and you'll be ok. Don't panic if not all models are centered around 0,0,0 though, it's not that uncommon for most models.

If your DAE importer gives you any trouble, you can use the Autodesk FBX Converter, which is stand-alone. It even lets you embed the textures automatically, without the need of adding the texture search path in Max.

15. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Well I got the Bongo Springs and sounds working on these bad boys now. I feel so special for a stage that uses them just once only in that consecutive placing.

[​IMG]

Also not directly related, but anyways http://puu.sh/PjDz

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Great stuff man. So when can we expect a release of V5? Also do you have a ModDB page?

Hopefully you will make another trailer as well.

17. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I'll release V5 when I get all of the following things done (spoilered due to being a long list):
    1. Make the fur brighter for both Hyper Sonics. (and possibly make the color changes transition more smoothly.)

2. Remove the Super Sonic skill's auto-pilot boosting in all stages (technically already finished.)

3. Make Hyper Sonic's effects less transparent. (The aura around the spinball jump, the stomp effects, and the boost effects are barely noticeable.)

4. Make both Hyper Sonics a lot faster than the normal forms (without changing the speed of the normal forms.)

5. Fix the odd positioning of Modern Super Sonic's lower-left quill during custom animations. (The few people who notice it tend to get annoyed by it. Myself included.)

6. Change a few of Modern Hyper Sonic's animations. (Such as using his auto-pilot boost animation while doing a normal boost.)

7. Make the Super Sonic to Hyper Sonic animations look smoother. (Especially Classic.)

8. Make the Chaos Emeralds look like Super Emeralds during the Super Sonic to Hyper Sonic animations. (This one shouldn't be too hard. Just make the emeralds bigger and change the textures a bit.)

9. Make Super Shadow's fur look less green during the rival battle. (I can probably find some vertex color + material combo to make it happen.)

10. Change Super Metal Sonic's electrical effects to purple (*cough*sonic4episode2reference*cough*)

I cannot give an estimated time/date for when I'll have these things all finished, but I'll keep posting update/preview videos as I get them done. Then a trailer when I make the release. (Then again, I'm also working on various mods for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'll try to spend a few days on Brawl mods, then a few on Sonic Generations, etc.)

Also, I don't have a ModDB page.

You're working on a Sonic Unleashed styled model of Shahra, eh? Looks pretty good thus far.
    Now that I think of it, seeing various other pre-Unleashed "Human" characters made in that style would seem like a pretty neat idea.

18. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    'the hell is wrong with her face? Shahra is so b00teful but she is looking like a tranny in there ;--;

Oh well, does that mean Secret Rings ports? :3

19. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Agreed, good lord, that face. Kill it with fire!

I honestly don't think Pixar/Unleashed-style suits Shahra, anyway.

20. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Well, it actually does but it need to exagerate the femine assets in it so it would look good, just like Pixar movies does with girls and children (male characters does look good whatever the size and shape of the face, eyes, etcetera...). For Shara I could easily see that Pixar's The Incredibles style on her. With thiner eyebrows, smaller nose (way smaller, almost childish) and a smaller mount. Her eyes do need to be beter shaped as well, smaller, less diagonal and a bit more thiner due hers ethnicity.

I dunno. It's doable, it just won't look very 'sexy' in the end like most of Pixar's characters ain't.