don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I've been pretty quiet lately about this project, so I figured I'd at least let you guys see some progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYi0nnk8fbY

Sorry about the sound near the end, I was totally being a retard. Anyways, this shows the title screen and save menu. Heres how it works. In the Save Menu, you can play and replay levels you've beaten. This isn't like sonic adventure, so once youve unlocked a character, they can also play any levels you've beaten. In the Save Menu, you can also view what unlockable items are hidden withen the stage. The one between the red stars is obviously the one you will get when collecting all 6 stars. The others below it are usually found in either a smaller giant ring, or an item box (I don't think I showed this in the video). All the other menu's basically work like they did in Classic 1, with some tweaks and additions here and there.

Now I do have a set amount of levels in mind, and all the Classic 1 levels will be unlockable with new secrets to find. There will also be other random unlockable levels and what not...so this game shouldn't leave you bored.

Comments? Bitching? Complaining?

EDIT: I should also mention that my video recorder causes the lag, it runs smoothly otherwise

2. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Looks sexy.
    I really like the file select menu.
    A bottomless pit below a corkscrew?
    Very nifty.
    Also, did I see the Emerald Hill grass right in front of the corkscrew?
    Gotta fix it.
    I don't really have much of a comment on the Tails suit going on or the special stage.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I love what I'm seeing! My only comment is to lower how long the signs in the option menu spin after the character runs through it. I'm also curious as to what the other special stages will look like. They seem like they can kick your ass in the later ones just because of the format.

4. Falk

Falk

Oh my God the Tails suit is amazing hahahaha

5. Matwek

Matwek

I notice you use a combination of new art and recycled art, I know you already have your levels set out in your head but I was wondering if you were looking for any original art?

I only ask because I have a pretty much complete tileset just lying around doing nothing. I made it for the Sonic Gemini fan game but that kind of fell through when they changed art direction, then I was going to use it for myself in my own game but I had too many other projects on the go.

If you want I could post a bit of a sample to see what you think? Its only going to go to waste otherwise and it would be great to give it a good home.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Corkscrew graphics aren't done yet, so yeah there placeholders! I am also probably going to get rid of that corkscrew near the end, I originally intended for the level to be bigger but then scrapped it and just threw the sign post after that corkscrew and threw in a screen lock, Ill probably just add a loop instead

There straight from the in level object, so Ill have to just tweak a value or two! Definitely will fix that.

Shoot me a private message, I may have a use depending on the style.

7. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Damn, Hez, I'm really sorry I didn't get around to sheeting those suits I designed for you. I sorta fell off the face of the internet over the holidays and I'm still getting back into the swing of things. You've done an amazing job with the Tails suit though.

I'm back now though so if you still want me to help out, let me know.

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Those menus are simply delicious. The level design looks pretty fun too!

9. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    any chance that you will be releasing a demo of this? it looks pretty sweet so far!

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The only thing you need is a better way of capturing videos. I personally recommend CamStudio for this sort of stuff, but no doubt someone can point out a better alternative.

That is, unless, I've already mentioned it. I can't remember.

11. Darkon

Darkon

UK
    Loving the suits concept (and hopefully it shut up all the whiners who complained about sonic spouting tails and/or changing colour)
    That start menu is fantastic, I love the way the title screen shifts and becomes the menu itself.

One thing I did notice that you might want to consider looking at on the special stage, when you collect a blue sphere it isn't readily apparent that it changed into a red one and makes you think it disappeared in a similar manner to rings.
    This would probably only be a problem for the first time you attempt a special stage but I can imagine it would catch a few people out.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm not expecting to release a demo until March, if that. I'm glad I haven't had as much whining as I thought I would.

13. Darkon

Darkon

UK
    Seeing the sonic suit reminded me of that animated short of robotnik running around the city causing havoc while wearing one...

[​IMG]

14. That should totally be the final boss. Eggman in a Super Sonic suit! :v: or at least the final final boss... maybe a Secret boss?

15. Flare

Flare

Wow, loving this... I like the flow all the menus have. My only nit pick is, the 2 used in the title, I think seeing as this is being a sequel, using the 2 from Sonic 2, just looks "lazy" since its meant to a big point of this - seeing as it is a sequel, of course this is just nitpicking and doesn't take anything away from this. Well done!

16. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    I have to say I like where this project is going. Mostly, I like that you're toying around with new concepts for a Sonic game (the Tails and Knuckles suits) and making them actually work with the game.

It kind of gives the Sonic gameplay another layer, sort of like they how they gave Kirby the ability to copy abilities after Kirby's Dreamland 1. ... of course, in the latter case, that was fairly early on and stuck for years.

Have you considered a dud suit to possibility impede players in the vein of Eggman monitors? .. Say like, maybe an Omachao suit? There's one power-up I'd avoid like the plague.

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I'm gonna join Arctides on that one, I really like where the project is going so far. Graphically stunning, the menus are excellent (though I don't understand why are you using S&K logo, a placeholder?) and musicwise, a great selection so far.
    Regarding the special stages, I'm holding my judgement until I actually play one of them, I cannot say if it's going to be playable at ease.
    Oh and yeah for Tails suit, yellow Sonic with tails was really ankward to me.

BTW, I take it Sonic, Knuckles and Fang are playable? No Tails?

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I just kind of thought the S&K logo looked cool. As for playable characters....come on now, of course Tails is playable, I just didn't unlock him in that save. You unlock characters in levels by finding shit/collecting red rings.

As for the special stages, they really aren't that bad. They're easier than the Sonic CD ones if that says anything.

19. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I love the way this project is looking. Hez you always seem to amaze me with your games and this is awesome.

Suits are very clever and a beautiful way of doing things.

I agree with Arctides about having negative suits. Imagine an Eggman suit that subtracts rings from you, kind of like the Supersonic ring drain.

20. Derf

Derf

*Insert witty member title here* Member
    Yonder, Hither.
    Sonic ExoGenesis
    Or makes you slower and decreases your jump height?

Although I think you'd have to be careful to avoid the suits becoming too gimmick-y in that they take away from gameplay.

Other than that I am really anjoying how this is looking so far and I have absolutely no bitching. Good luck:)