don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    On the topic of sheilds, how about 'Ring Time' from Sonic Generations? Ya know, that's weird sheild that turned badniks into rings when you get close to them.

On the long dead subject of Sonic using other characters abilities; I really like the idea. I was myself using it for my hack(didn't make much sense since Mighty has never met half the characters I was going to use), but decided against it. It does indeed look odd when Sonic grows Tails so how about an alternative.

[​IMG]

Whipped this up fairly quickly. Took inspiration from the Mario series. I didn't have your Tails sprites so it probably looks wrong.

I've darkened Sonic's pallete inside the suite just so you know. If you want me to whip Knuckles or any others up, let me know.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I actually wouldn't be bothered by the ability if it was granted from a suit like that simply because it looks stupidly hilarious instead of flat out stupid. I also like the gold monitor idea. Bubble shield + gold shield could have Sonic bounce toward enemies.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That is absolutely hilarious! I would love if this ended up being in the final :eng101:

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    If you did a knuckles mock up. I will highly HIGHLY consider this. I actually really like it.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    So Sonic has finally done the deed and made a fur suit out of Tails. Not bad something different for a Sonic game. Heavily reminds me of the Tanooki suit so I hope Sonic has the ability to turn into a stone statue with this one :)

6. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    That's actually pretty amusing! I like it

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    Its unlockable...I didnt work on the gold shield because to be honest, I don't really understand its point.

And yes, I'm a dick. It's hard as fuck to unlock and near the end of the game, mostly because I hate the homing attack.

EDIT: Sorry...I forgot to set the picture to loop :\

8. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    ..:D

[​IMG]

Here you go. I made an Espio suit too because I saw the idea come up somewhere in the topic. I haven't finished it yet though.

9. The Angry Colossal

The Angry Colossal

Edmonton
    Trying to find a project name that isn't taken
    Those suit mockups look pretty good. It manages to bring in the identity of the characters that Sonic is using the power of while making it clear that it's still him. If I would suggest anything, though, I'd recommend removing the second set of eyes from the suits; it looks less like a costume and more like "Sonic killed his partners and is wearing them as a trophy". It's a little unsettling, but I'm not going to press the issue if it's too late to rework.

10. And the original comparison to Super Mario 3D Land's Tanooki Suit shines through. You hear about how PETA spent a bit of time harassing Nintendo about Mario skinning animals for his powers? This would make perfect timing just to make fun of that. Now I like the costume idea even more! (That, and the fact that this is brought up while that Robotnik/Eggman image is on the front page of the site!)

11. Falk

Falk

Actually I'd argue that removing the eyes would make it look more like a dead skin* as opposed to a costume.

Unrelated, the suits remind me of prinnies for some bizarre reason.

(*edit: not that it matters to me regardless. :V)

12. I think you should keep the eyes, it'd look better. Without them (as said above) it just looks like he's wearing the skin of his friends.

I also sort of think that when you activate the homing attack that it should swap out Sonic's sprites for Modern Sonic, but that's just me?

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    The point of the Gold Shield is that it makes the Homing Attack less cheap by having it be a lose-able power-up like all the other ones. To me, it makes the Homing Attack much more valuable, and forces the player to use it more wisely (at the cost of losing the move rather than losing rings). Losing a shield because of a misaimed/inaccurate Homing Attack is also much less frustrating than losing rings/a life because of an inaccurate Homing Attack, in my opinion.

What would be the point of doing this?

14. Felik

Felik

So you hate homing attack unlockable despite the fact you hate it.... rrrright.
    Personally I like it more when you have the "look! my game is so unique!" approach rather than "look! I'm ripping off generations! Where's my cookie?"
    And also HA rebound animation is just spring rebound animation and it doesn't fit. Looks like some unexplainable force makes sonic to do a 360 degree turn for no reason.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I am second to "keep the eyes." It looses the absurdity if you take out the giant fake eyes.

16. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    Add another vote to the "keep the eyes" for me, these are amazing. I'm just imagining Sonic doing terrible mocking impersonations of all his friends while wearing them.
    Also I'm not too sure about unlockable homing attack over gold shield. Sure it was fun in Megamix, but it makes the game a little bit too easy IMO, and having it as a loseable powerup would force you to tread more carefully if you wanted to keep it around.
    Oh, and one other thing: I LOVE the little bits of badnik that go flying when you hit one. It's little touches like that that make a game stand out.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I've had unlock able stuff since before generations came out, so I don't know what you're bitching about. The only thing I've "ripped off" from it was the homing attack unlock able, since I noticed some people actually liked it being unlock able in generations.

EDIT: This is also again why I hate showing you people shit. I should have mentioned that those are placeholder graphics. It takes a lot longer to draw out graphics than it does to do the programming for them. Please forgive me for my incompetence oh great one.

18. Wait, why doesn't the flip work? Personally, I like the flipping graphics after a Homing Attack. It looks more unique then just a rebounding spinning jump sprite, as though Sonic used so much force on impact that he actually got knocked out of his curled-up state. It actually makes the Homing Attack look a bit more impressive, in my opinion. Naturally, once you use a Homing Attack, you're probably done with the jump, unless you plan on chaining them on other enemies. In that case, just make it so post-Homing Attack flipping Sonic is vulnerable to damage (just for detail's sake, since he isn't spinning anymore), and if you want to get really technical with it, just come up with some graphics for Sonic re-curling back up for if the player decides on another Homing Attack. Although, to be honest, I don't think anybody would notice a lack of transition graphics between post-Homing Attack flipping and mid-Homing Attack spinning.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I want to do the tails suit and knuckles but man...that's a lot of graphics to draw :|

[​IMG]

20. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    quit your whining, I had to do this five and a half times for s2xl