don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Pm me.

2. The male code you're giving away was #2.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sega may tell them what to make, but they don't say "Make it a straight line with glitches." Direction means nothing. Dimps is responsible for the shit. You think a company would say "Here, make this game ass." If Sega was really directing them it'd at least be Sonic Team Generations PS360 quality.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Exactly what is so great about Straight Line Zone Act 37?

There is nothing wrong about SEGA's direction. Sonic Team told Dimps to make Sonic Generations smaller. Dimps created Broken the Physicshog featuring Miles "BOOSTBOOSTBOOST" Prower instead.

Dimps is full of retarded developers. They don't know what they are doing.

I honestly wouldn't pay them a McDonald's wage to make flash games for sega.com if I was in charge of SEGA.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Oh boy! Emerald Coast video! Let's take a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Well, at least the remix will be nice to have once the game is rippe--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Q80H0v2-Q

...welp.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Okay, I get it.

You're making things up.

That's enough of this folks. Move on.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    You are in a small arena pressing certain buttons to perform a series of moves that do specific amounts of damage.

Sounds pretty simple compared to traversing miles upon miles of level with different tropes and gimmicks in each stage with two different styles of play that their respective levels must accommodate for.

Sure, Street Fighter requires more technique, but as far as development is concerned, I'm pretty sure Sonic games have much more dynamic programming.

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Wow, even Sonic Rush had those little rooms full of enemies and large rolling things to run from, and stuff.

As I figured, DIMPS needs to be fired from making Sonic games.

Let's hope 3DS gets some horrible ratings to help drive this point home, unless this level is just an aberration or something.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    So just like I said, making things up.

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Welp, the Spanish magazine that revealed it's Water Palace, not Windmill Isle, gave the game a 90% rating, so… :v:

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think what he's trying to say is that making a decent platformer is a different kettle of fish from making a fighting game. All the examples I've seen so far of Dimps not being the problem have been of the fighting games they've done. If there aren't other examples then...hasn't someone just stopped to think that maybe Dimps isn't a bad group, but a group that's just bad at making platformers?

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    That's fine and well but it's not as simple as he claims.

And are we really going to ignore the other 7 Sonic games they've made?

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's impossible to know exactly how much direction Dimps has for each game they make. The case could easily be that the better Sonic games Dimps have made were under more scrutinous direction from Sega, while the crappier ones were made with a bit less direction from Sega than was probably necessary to ensure quality. I'm not making that claim personally, but it's an easy claim to make.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Rush had mediocre, bottomless pit-laden level design, shitty physics and God awful bosses. Fun can be squeezed out of it though.

Haven't played enough of Rush Adventure to judge. Heard it was much better then Rush.

Sonic Pocket Adventure was merely okay.

Sonic 4 was Rush minus boost and originality. Physics are marginally better though.

Sonic Advance trilogy started out promising, but rapidly declined in quality.

Sonic Unleashed WiiS2 was static, uninteresting, less than fun and all around inferior to the current gen console version.

Sonic Colors DS was passable.

Moral of the story: Settling for Dimps is settling for less.

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Rush Adventure had a ton of padding and outside of a few levels was monotonous and not really as good as Rush (I played both Rush and Rush Adventure.

16. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I honestly think Dimps is just tired of making Sonic games, really.

Although, Sonic Colors was much better level design-wise than Sonic Rush/Adventure (IMO) and was just as fun as Sonic Advance 1 for me. Plus, Aquarium Park was an actual water level and not a level that has water in it! I've never felt that way with any water level Dimps has designed.

17. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Hoping I don't get on too many bad sides for sympathizing with the devil Dimps here...

Maybe Dimps could make a better game if SEGA would stop tossing them all these rushed handheld port job things? How long have they been working on, say, Sonic 4 Episode 2, while still working on Colors DS(which I still feel was at least decent) and possibly Generations 3DS at the same time, unless instead SEGA just hopped on the 3DS bandwagon and tossed that at them out of the blue. When was the last Dimps Sonic game that wasn't "make this big console hit on a weaker system" again besides Sonic 4, which seemed like it was gonna be a dlc spinoff that got huge name and way too much hype shoved on it.

Just saying, do they really deserve all this hate recently, at least from the types who seemingly liked the Advance/Rush titles, if they keep getting shoved into being the random handheld port guys? :(

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Devil's advocate is fine, but they haven't proven their worth since 2002.

Either Dimps are completely incapable of producing a game with its weight in salt, or SEGA aren't telling them that their work is unacceptable. Personally, I don't think SEGA cares enough about handheld titles, which is why they are outsourcing development in the first place.

19. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Might pick the 3DS version up, or wait for a price drop. Mario 3D land can hold me off :v.

Also lobotomy check your pm

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Goddamn. If you make Sonic Advance 1 (the first level at that) look like something I'd rather play, you are doing something horribly wrong.

How did they go from Colors DS to this? Wow.