don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Genocide_City_Zone

Classic Crisis City fits the idea pretty well. Kind of something that makes more sense if you were around before the concept art was discovered. :(

2. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Look, I'm all for continuity between games, but the entire plot here is set off by a character screwing with time. Little oddities like this are easily explained away by the Time Eater trying to erase Sonic from existence or otherwise opening closed timelines. Every character involved probably won't know what it is anyway.

"Huh...I don't recognize this place."

"You don't remember being here before?"

"No, I'm pretty sure if I was in something this terrible, I'd never forget it."

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well that siniches it then. YES! :)

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Genocide City was a work in progress name for the level which was never even started on graphically in the Sonic 2 rom. Another name for it from concept art is Cyber City, and it's clear from the fact that Metropolis Act 3 uses it's layout, and aso from the concept art we have that it was more or less going to be a level similar in theme to Scrap Brain Zone, Metallic Madness or Flying Battery. Nothing gruesome or destroyed about it, sorry :v:

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    "The Machine" from Sonic Spinball also used a number of features from Genocide City.

IIRC the name 'Genocide' was just a joke based on how Sonic died from the lack of a stage if it was selected. It was to be 'Cyber City', which would be a purple-gray thing with a bunch of yellow-and-black stop-bar things and gears and pistons. Crisis City is red and gray and involves a more urban city which has been destroyed—it's not even the same gimmick type, so, yeah. We haven't been given 'The' Cyber City. The closest is the third act of Metropolis zone and "The Machine" from Sonic Spinball.

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Though I don't agree with your whole continuity post, I can most definitely second this.

Bit of an annoyance really, that Cyber City's trope may have gone to waste. Having said that, in many ways it probably hasn't, Cyber Track, Techno Base, Metallic Madness, Mad Gear and Secret Base Zone could have borrowed any features at any time and we wouldn't really know!
    [​IMG]

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Wow holy shit, I just linked to a page that just said what you already said, something I've known for years. I'm talking about the mystical speculation the community had back in the Simon Wai days (and how in a way it's became a reality). Way to miss the entire point.

Edit: Joined: 20-April 10

No wonder.

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Not quite, Sonic 06 was canon with the Adventure games and etc, and then Unleashed was the one that broke canon.

But yeah, Sonic's canon was never treated as sacred. Sonic Generations is going to screw around with everything in the series with reckless abandon for fun and profit, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not going to matter in the next game anyway.

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Exactly. Don't even bother trying to define canon when it comes to Sonic. Just off the top of my head, you've got...
    -Genesis games
    -Adventure series/2k6 (realistic humans)
    -Unleashed/Colors (cartoony humans)
    -SatAM
    -AoStH
    -Sonic X
    -Archie
    -Fleetway
    -Underground
    -OVA

All with their own distinct backstories and interpretations. I'd imagine that's one of the more confusing things for a newcomer...

I liked what was said a few posts up about Crisis City, and I agree; there really should be a shout-out to how monumentally awful Sonic's 15th was.

I'm still monumentally excited for this game. Pre-ordered what I hope will be the PC version off Direct2Drive this morning. If any game could ever unseat Sonic 3 as the finest I've ever played, this would be it...

10. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Can we please not use the term 'canon' when referring to continuity? It makes things worse for everyone who actually uses language correctly. :P Unless Sega have made an official statement on how the continuity is organised and which games are a part of it and which are excluded, it's not a canon.

11. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Ah, forgot how 06 referenced the older games. Then again all I remember from playing it (which I did long after it was released, and only to laugh at its bugs) was that dang billiard ball thing that took me nearly an hour to beat, and a bunch of boring gibberish.

But yeah. Practically every new game takes the "canon" and turns it on its head. Modern Eggman, for example! The old school one seemed a lot more bent on permanently destroying Sonic. They took the hints from the games and then made even more severe versions for most of the American old school cartoons. Yet these days it's all about how he wants Sonic as his rival, rather than dead, fried, deceased. (Which the Robotnik in Spinball appears to have no qualms about—the entire fortress seems to be one elaborate 'kill Sonic' trap.)

12. Hello. I just received and upgrade to trial member so I'm celebrating by, after months of reading and reading, being able to post :P
    I have 20 posts to prove that I'm not a moron so I'll just try to be myself.
    Sadly, I have no news regarding the game. I can just say that I'm really pumped for it (it's been a long time since I've been THIS excited for a new game) and, since the JP release is a little later than the rest of the world, I'm importing from USA (which, by the way, is cheaper than the JP version, somehow...).
    On another topic, I'd really love if they included a JP voice option in the US release since I kinda like JP voices a little bit better.
    Ans this concludes my first post. Please be kind to me [​IMG]

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
  14. serpx

serpx

Google sucks, and this thread is stupid huge for me to search for the image, but 99% sure there's an option in the game's menu where you can change voices to Japanese. Welcome to the board, and it's great to have more people who can speak/write Japanese, as there is occasionally some stuff that comes from Japan, Sonic-related, that requires translation.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    A PC version was confirmed and you morons have been arguing over canon for several pages instead? :psyduck:

16. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Well it hasn't been confirmed per se, but it would be SEGA's biggest troll move ever if they cancelled it.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know right? the arguments never cease to amaze me on Sonic Retro! :specialed:

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Well it's not like we have anything interesting to talk about about the PC version. We know it exists, which is very exciting (hope that price tag for Direct2Drive is real). Those are kinda cool bonuses I guess. But saying "I like this!" doesn't exactly make for an engaging converstaion.

Also it's not like everyone in this thread has ill will about anything. I happen to find discussions about canon interesting!

19. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I like this.

I will say though, sadly there is no way my current PC could handle it, even with my new video card. I also like that trailer that was put together.

So how about that Crisis City mix? I loved the original,but I love the new modern mix :D

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Well, we might... I don't know, discuss possible system requirements :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.