don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    This current topic of discussion is dumb, let talk about this:
    [​IMG]

And no, thats not knuckles in that bush. Ian Flynn has confirmed that.

2. Holy crap that cover is awesome.

3. This^

But after seeing all of these cool re-working of the classic Sonic Boxarts, It is all going to end in an anticlimax due to Sonic & Knuckles's minimalistic boxart... There is almost nothing you can add artistic licence to, mostly becuase it is just some text, a logo and a blurb about Lock-on Technology.
    Unless they can pull something else. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic Spinball-related cover.

4. That's true, unless they wanna pull a Sonic Blast and just do the Sonic and Knuckles title screen.

But then again, sometimes the minimal can work really well. I can see the Sonic and Knuckles boxart would really standout in a comic shop.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    They should let us vote for the final cover. Would be interesting to say the least.

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'm fairly certain he will expand on that.

7. UptoCamp

UptoCamp

Did I read that right that Flynn is going to kill Sally over the Summer and bring her back in the Fall?

Is this 1997?

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Explain?

Guessing no one saw this in their generations issue of nintendo power:
    Thanks to Barry the Nomad from SSMB

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That third page sums up pretty much everything I miss about Sonic both in attitude and aesthetics. Want this issue now. I don't care if this is a temporary reboot. The comics need to keep looking like that....

EDIT: Oh, and Lanzer, 1997 was the first time Sally "died" and was brought back. issues #47-50.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Yes, the "Endgame" saga, if I recall. Good read, apart from the whole "dragons can't tell lies" deus ex machina deal. At any rate, I love the look of the art for those three pages. The green-eyed "classic" Sonic looks especially good—I hope they keep that look, although I suppose it's unlikely. I wonder what the deal with this "reboot" is, anyway...?

Interesting that they opted to use the Sonic 4 Motobug design. Looks good in comic form, actually.

Well, my subscription's up and Archie isn't getting any more of money after sending me a grand total of half of the issues they were supposed to send me, so I s'pose I'll be reading this in less legitimate fashion than I'd strictly like to. -.-

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well, looks like they've acquired another monthly reader. I'm looking forward to the 'reboot'. :)

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    If you intend to subscribe, I recommend making sure your issues arrive on time and sending a prompt complaint if they don't. I wound up receiving every other issue rather than all of them, even though I'd subscribed to both series (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe). One of them, the one with the "Bad to the Bunny" cover, actually arrived in a pack of multiple copies which I have yet to unseal (why bother? I can READ it on my computer...), obviously meant for a comic shop rather than an individual subscriber.

Serious subscription fail, that.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That's strange that you had that problem, I subscribed to the comics for many years and the only issue I remember missing was issue #90. Not sure how things are done now, the last subscription I had to it ended with the issue where they went into Anti-Mobius and met the crazy alternate Amy.

14. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Sonic's foot on the Motobug, that's soooo good. :ohdear: I'm going to put that into a t-shirt. If only the comic featured in this kind of thing and forgot about contrived storylines and original characters I don't give a shit about.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't really follow the comics, but I do really want to pick up these Sonic Genesis issues. When are these going to go on sale?

16. The first Genesis issue is next month.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Ah, great, thanks Ashram!

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...So now that Sonic Generations is finally treating both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic as different characters, where's this mixed Sonic going to fit in the continuity? :v:

It looks pretty cool, but I can't help but feel like it was a lost opportunity of making something new fully based in the Classic Sonic universe (just like happened with Sonic 4, later fixed with Generations).

I really think that a whole Classic story drawn by Spaz would be sweet (just check out his Sonic Archives covers). Even I would buy it on sight, and I've never been into Sonic comics.

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don't remember hearing this anywhere. The impression I got is that classic Sonic is younger Sonic ("timeholes" somewhat supporting this). How he changed designs outside of growing taller, I don't know, but that's the impression I got; never that these two Sonics are completely different.

The Genesis arc is looking like the best decision Archie has had so far about the series. It's finally implementing elements from the source material into the series without also taking millions of liberties that differentiate the aesthetic and premise from what's intended. Lets just say I've been waiting for the Archie series to finally do this; which is essentially "take the storyline to the Segasonic canon and add in Freedom Fighters". I might just start ordering issues of the series again if this really leaves an incredibly lasting impression on the comics from now on.