don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Same as Archie Sonic's always been—in its own separate Archieverse continuity. Although Generations isn't treating the two Sonics as different characters, just one character from different time periods.

Which makes this the second time the Sonic universe should have imploded due to a fatal time paradox, incidentally...

As long as Sally isn't involved. Good art, but DAMN, man, that's a little too much emphasis on her womanly features.

2. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    It's funny, the closest they had gotten to that was their Sonic Adventure 2 Adaptation, which was given to us in two parts; STH #98, and only concluded like, a decade later in one of the early Sonic Universe issues. Due to all the shit the others were doing at the time, the story was actually condenced to just Sonic, Shadow and Rouge, with no Freedom Fighters in sight. :B

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The same way Zero is supposed to be the exact same in terms of looks in both the X series and the Mega Man Zero series. It's called "art styles" or "design directions".

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I lost my shit when I read #225. I FUCKING LOVE IT.

Anyway, why were people bitching about the planet name? Archie has said that they are on Earth. It's just after the whole genocide thing and the mobians coming about they planet was re-named.

5. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

[​IMG]

I found this on some Archie Sonic wikia of all things. Supposedly, it's an early version of the 229th issue cover.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Cool. I was about to say that they shouldn't do a S&K cover since they've already done that.

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Wow I really like this cover even if its just concept early cover artwork. It reminds me of the old American Sega Genesis Sonic box art for Sonic 2 and especially 3. I can't wait to read these issues its a nice breath of fresh air to be able to enjoy content closer to the games without the freedom fighters getting a lot of spot light. I'd buy just these issues just for the sake of being able to read what I grew up loving in comic form.

8. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I know they swear up and down this is temporary... But I wonder how much of it is sort of testing the waters, seeing how people respond to this style of Sonic and if its worth keeping around, or at least some elements of it around.

9. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    They'd better keep some aspects of it afterward, otherwise it's just a big tease, like "see how good the comic could be if we wanted it to be? And now back to the regularly scheduled furry relationship drama."

I wonder if this whole thing has anything to do with Generations. I just posted a reply in that thread talking about the same sort of question (how much of this awesomeness will be retained after this specific game/comic arc?)

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks to chaoscontrol14 of SSMB.

So that scorge arc has some cameos:
    [​IMG]
    Evil big. I'm guessing since I don't see the stupid frog I'm knowing what hes doing time for.

[​IMG]
    Guess that time wipe didn't completely work.

[​IMG]
    Someone is about to get the shit kicked out of him. :)

[​IMG]
    Warehog.

Here is the preview of the issue:
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-0.jpg
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-1.jpg
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-2.jpg
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-3.jpg
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-4.jpg
    http://www.img.archiecomics.com/press/SU29-7.jpg

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Talk about taking advantage of a good situation. The prisoners that is. I bet if it weren't for that collar Scourge could wipe the floor with all of those guys.

EDIT: Oh, and have some covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Hey, I never noticed that Scourge had short quills.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Normally he doesn't, however they shaved him in prison. While they could be a little longer I kind of like the retro look he has with the shorter quills.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    They....shaved....his quills. I um, is that even...never mind. Looks good though!

I found Issue 225 at a Books A Million while on vacation, and I liked it. Didn't feel like I was too out of the loop since the issue was pretty much just about the Death Egg being back and Eggman being a stylish bastard with everything going his way, in addition to being a setup for the new arc. I keep reading that Ixis dude in a Dracula voice though. Perhaps that was the intention.

Really anticipating the Genesis arc though, going to have fun hunting those down. I may even get a subscription down the line.

15. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I can still see this Genesis arc being a temporary thing. The only thing that would make it better is if the Freedom Fighters were killed off, or erased from existence. That's something I've always wanted see in the comic: Sonic. On his own. With Tails tagging along. No furries allowed.

I liked how they sort of did that when Knuckles warped reality in issue #101 and created the OVA universe, if only for a few seconds. If only they could permanently do that.

Oh and this:

:psyduck:

I guess we can add on ANOTHER retarded explanation on why Modern Sonic looks different than Classic: He grew his hair out! :specialed:

16. Yeah, I had the same exact discussion about Scourge's quills on Ian Flynn's messageboard. Apparently he treats it as very sharp hair.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    ...which is what hedgehog's spines are anyways, so what's the big deal here?

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yes, they shaved his quills. look:
    [​IMG]

I think its giving him more of a sepration from that whole anti-sonic thing penders wrote and making scorge his own being. now he doesn't have modern's longer quills.

19. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.

It's inevitable in an ongoing series that characters would be introduced even if they killed/retconned the freedom fighters. There's only so much you can do with just Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik and still have an actual storyline.

However, we could always hope for less shitty characters. Flynn's done a pretty good job of making characters suck less, but he could probably really improve things if they just wiped the whole slate. Supporting characters don't have to be a bad thing. I quite enjoyed the side characters in the Fleetway comics, for example.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    No, it's just them treating him like shit in prison. They're gonna grow back.