don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
  2. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    The Penders thing comes down to the documents the company made you sign. If he signed a document and they show his signature, he's pretty screwed. I've done tons and tons of work for hire stuff and seen tons of contracts, and the contracts usually state you get no residuals for reprints and whatnot pretty explicitly. That stuff only happens for the people who have the clout to demand it.

Mind you, it's not farfetched that Archie just plum forgot to get him to sign the contract. I've had that happen at a few companies too, to be honest.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So like...

Everything about Sonic #223...I loved. + - Except that Hershey is dead bullshit that one got one sentence  

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I always thought the Archie rendition of the Death Egg looked a bit funky, and it's no different here. The weirdest thing about their version of the Death Egg that I just couldn't get over was how it actually looked like an egg rather than a sphere, as if the artists either completely missed or intentionally decided to ignore the obvious Star Wars reference. On a similar note, I hate the eyes. In S3&K, they looked like the Death Star's planet-zapper thingamajig. Not so here.

As for the comics at large, it's a bit of an up-and-down sort of thing in the post-Penders era. I like the comic most of the time. Sometimes, not so much. Only thing stopping me from subscribing again is that Archie seems to fail at subsciptions. Half of the issues I should have recieved for both the mainstream Sonic the Hedgehog comic and for Sonic Universe simply never arrived. One of the issues came in a pack of twelve or so copies, clearly intended for a comic shop rather than a subscriber. Seriously. What the fuck.

It's the sort of thing that tempts one to say "I'll stick to online piracy, thanks." Fortunately for Archie, I prefer to pay for my comics.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I only started to have these problems with Sonic Universe in the Treasure team tango arch.

I'm starting to question if I should subscribe to the megaman comic now.

6. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

....so. Has anyone caught the latest and greatest shark-jumping issue?

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I heard Kuta pulled some massive bullshit move and pissed allot of people off. anyone care to fill us in?

8. Well, I've read the first MM comic, it's not actually that bad. It's a set up issue, but know that since it's written by Ian, it'll still follow the "At least one fight a comic" formula that he does in the Sonic comics.

Also, Treasure Team Tango was supposed to be the action/comedy arc. Two words: Mindless derp.

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Some guys received the comic early as usual and Flynn asked for people not to post spoilers until Wednesday but was okay with people giving them through private channels. Someone gave them to Kuta and he posted them on the Sega forums, the only place he hasn't been banned from yet (and Retro, but no one gives a shit about his drama here).

10. Lawl, I read through a bit of the thread on the Sega forums; essentially boils down to 70% Sally hate, 20% hate for Sally haters and 10% "Not sure if troll" for the recent "plot developments".

I wonder if AKR did this just to stir up shit.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Eh. To be fair to him, Flynn asked not to spread spoilers relating to his forums, which is really where he has power. He even specified not to link to other forums where the spoilers may be.

Outside Bumbleking, however, is free game.

I've read the spoilers, BTW. Fun issue, it seems. Made me happy + - Sally's dieing   , but then I realised Genesis will step that back.

12. Glaber

Glaber

I was referring to subscription problems, not problems with the story.

+ - If Sally does die, then that I do have a problem with.  

13. Holy shit, really? That's intense.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    + - Well, it is the most likely outcome. Sonic was distracted with Silver Sonic, Sally tried to move ahead, we see an Eggman Turret locking in on her and get BLAMBLAMBLAM as a sound, then Sonic screaming Sally and running towards her destructed goggles (she was wearing goggles) as the Death Egg starts destroying reality in white waves.  

Now it's a question of comic book death vs. Ian's personal rule of "Dead means dead" vs. the fact + - we see no body  

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I can't imagine the flack Flynn would get for it. Not that I would mind, it would take the series in a very interesting direction. What I do know is, if he actually does it, there'll be many a weeping + - Sally   fan out there.

16. Glaber

Glaber

I just remembered, if Ian's rule is in effect, then the Genesis preview breaks the rule.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Except it doesn't, because Genesis is another continuity. That's like saying Spiderman's not dieing in Ultimate Marvel because he's fine in the films.

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I'm still a little confused about Genesis, I haven't followed in a while. Is it permanent, or an alternate story arc?

19. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Basically Eggman is using the Death Egg to rewrite reality. Since it's only lasting four issues, it's eventually going to return to normal continuity, but with some retcons along the way. But for four issues, consider it as sort of an entirely different comic.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Okay, gotcha! Thanks :) ! I may actually pick these ones up. I haven't bought the comic since my subscription was up two or three years ago. Elegant way for Flynn to pretty much write whatever's left of Pender's work totally out of the series, if he wished.