don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Indeed. I know the first thing I'm doing if I need a few extra bytes RAM space in my hack.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Because this way they can keep track of the order in which emeralds were retrieved, not just which emeralds did the player get.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    ... What does it matter which order you got them in? Not even the current Sonic fanbase would complain, "the emeralds on the special stage results screen don't appear in the order I got them!"

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    In Sonic 2, the emeralds are stored in arrays, I honestly don't know why they didn't do this for Sonic 1. :\ Basically, in Sonic 2 RAM address $FFFFFFB0 determines if a emerald was collected, $FFFFFFB1 stores the emerald count, and $FFFFFFB2 is the actual array of emeralds. (Or at least that's what it looks like in the source code, correct me if I'm wrong. :\)

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Each game took a different approach to it, really. Sonic 1 lets you get the emeralds in a random order and keeps track of it. Sonic 2 and 3D require you to get the emeralds in a given order, so they don't need to keep track of it. Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) lets you get the emeralds in a random order, but it puts the emeralds into their final place rather than in the order they were collected.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I thought it might be funny to share these things I was really proud of back in 2003/4. They're from my first ever projects and involved putting fan characters from Sonic Cult into SADX, and then Heroes later. I believe IceKnight was there too (as well as an Eggman textured Big) but I've lost any screens showing them
    WoK in Palmtree Panic Heroes ver
    [​IMG]

Tigress in.. well I don't know. Everything was black, apart from the mesh floors which were completely transparent.
    [​IMG]

This last one was less offensive than the rest. And yes, that is Shadow Aventure. I just chucked my textures on that cause the layout was fun.

7. Mikel

Mikel

Oh my god.

I remember this, I first saw this at the SRB2 forums back when PhpBB2 was the software they used for the forums, and I assume that you were SpARX in the SRB2 forums, right?

8. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    I didn't really know where to put this, but I just need some criticism on my art as a beginner hacker;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    That would be a cool idea for a hack: Sonic 1 - ASCII edition.

10. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Yes @ Phoebius

Not that I like advertising things that I haven't done yet, I am at a music crossroads. Basically in the future once I figure out bosses better (beyond my own fiddling and the "how to work with objects" tutorial) I am going to make whenever you collect the emerald monitor for the act, you activate a "Knuckles Boss Mode" and it becomes harder than not collecting it. Again, I didn't want to reveal this until I had it made in case I couldn't get it to work. But really, it would just be a simple "Is duhdoduh activated? If not skip this code" into the boss itself so I am not worried in that regard.

To tell that it is an emerald fight, a different boss track would appear (I already expanded the music slots in my hack via the tutorials). The question is, which goes where and what direction I should go.

I decided to make a horrible quick 5 minute chart to help describe what is going on in my head:

[​IMG]

Here's Format X in midi form already. Jurassic Dope is here. As you can see, I want both Format X and Jurassic Dope connected. Which one should I do?

11. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Ok guys, I am working on two new Sonic 2 hack. The first one is CNZ with its prototype tiles. Yes, very common, but with the final background. I would like to hear yall's opinion.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    and with PLC turned off..
    [​IMG]

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Some of those tiles look like NES tiles. :psyduck:

So are you making new levels or just tile swappin'?

13. Super Egg

Super Egg

Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Well for this project its just tile swapping. Its suppose to be a art and (later) engine hack. I'm trying to make a hack of what Sonic 2 could be like before proto 4 but after the wai proto.

14. Namo

Namo

If you reimplement the spiral running frames, that'd be cool too. Sonic 2 Long Edition is great except for the lack of spiral running frames.

15. Super Egg

Super Egg

Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Oh, I've already done that, I just need to fix CNZ PLC and Crawl's mapping and I'll be done with CNZ, next I'll work on Metropolis' layout. Also, still trying to figure out how to fix CNZ PLC. If I restore it, it screws up the slot machine blue background. Wish I could at least fix poor Crawl's art. But with the amount of newly added tiles, its kinda a pain in the ass.

16. Drummerguitarist

Drummerguitarist

I bet you'd like to know...
    Sonic Expedition 32x
    (Kinda a c/p from SSRG) So, I've been working for a long time on my hack, Sonic Expedition. It's a 32x hack though you could never tell from these images (I might upload a video soon of music). So, here are some screenshots:

This is of a snowy zone made from art that Estlib had given me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one from my modified Options Menu:

[​IMG]

I'll probably post some more images later of other zones, once I've made more progress on them. And long story short, with the snow zone I only have a few chunks done so it's pretty much straight line zone atm, as you can see.

17. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Looking pretty nice! I look forward to a release of your Hack with a pretty complete Ice zone.

18. Namo

Namo

Hm, those walls look rather barren. As does the outside. Add in some stuff.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

20. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]

Very early WIP, but proof that it exists. Most of Samus's moves are unimplemented right now, and I still need to redraw anything that uses the first palette line. (look at that monitor)

Morph Ball is going to be fun- more like the Prime games than anything, since it uses the rolling physics that are conveniently already in place!

I might rip out the entire rings/lives setup and insert an energy system, with each Ring restoring one point...