don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    That's why I did my Egg-o-matic with a simple silver shading, no textures.

Ok, but Im not gonna do again a freaking Eggmobile!... It was fucking hard to shade it that way and make it fit a toon enviroment, it looks freaking awesome with the ehz boss and the cpz boss too. But...meh, if you want 1 Eggmobile per zone... Remember its shaded the same for the WHOLE game, and lighting doesnt even fit sometimes.

The seat is looking good to me since eggman is looking in a 3/4 perspective. Also, that sprite wasnt even the final that I did! xD lol, gonna post the final eggomatic over here since I don't want to look the forums for it.

Quick edit, this was the last thing I was working on (Like, about...8 months ago maybe, didnt even touch the psd after all this time, so YES I KNOW, there are a lot of perspective errors on the CPZ boss part. I KNOW and I have to edit that parts again.

[​IMG]

Also, that's a 17.2% size of the original :P

2. Just figured I'd tone down the texture a little...

[​IMG]

It would be interesting to see the base more angular, then smooth. It had been pointed out a few posts back that the original sprite is this way, and judging by the way the pixels checker, then stop, I would agree.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Looks much better with the textures blurred a bit. Still needs to have some basic shadow lines to show the division between the dome and the lights sticking out from it though.

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I have to agree, that does look much more fitting ^^"

5. Flare

Flare

Broken TV.

Now I know there is some bad AA, and the sizes of it are off because of a bad sprite rip I got, but Ill fix it, its really just for an overall design of it broken. Still to add wires in though.

[​IMG]

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Very promising mate. :)

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    My only gripe is that it's missing any damage where the original sprite has the large crack in the bottom left corner of the screen frame, the absence of which makes the damage look slightly weighted to the right-hand side of the monitor. Aside from that, it's looking really good - you've already got a lot more detail in the central portion than my version had, and the adding of wires etc. sounds like it'll only increase that - infact, it's an idea I toyed with while I was drawing the original version of my one before sleep deprivation and laziness got the better of me. = )

Also, here is a sheet with a good rip of the broken monitor on it - it's the sheet I ripped for the purpose of drawing my version of the monitor. It has a good rip of the monitor frame (though with the static frame that's part of that art edited out so that there was an 'icon slot' I could stick things in) and all the icons except the static frames. Should save you time looking for / making a good rip of the GFX. = )

8. What about the idea of having a few broken monitor designs, so when they break it doesn't always look the same, it would look better especially when 2 or 3 monitors are side by side. Is that a possibility? Not sure how to implement it though, maybe randomly...

9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You could also mirror the broken monitor designs to get twice the variation.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

[​IMG]

11. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Really awesome. Just by eye, the top button's hydraulics? look uneven.
    That based off the sprite, test-object's version, or both?

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

[​IMG]

13. Wow, and spooky lol. I've yet to see someone transform one of these into a more artistic, less rendered image. It is pretty.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Very good.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Damn, awesome work.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Spectacular work CK. :)

I now wonder how it'd be looking like, with a more reflective metallic surface.

17. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Oh wow; that 3D render of the Egg-Prison looks amazing.

Once a good metallic texture has been added, methinks it'll look the dog's bollocks.

This thing known as Sonic 2 HD looks like it's going somewhere now. =D

18. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Looks awesome! Also love the lighting, ambient occlusion (or whatever it's called.. global illumination or summat) does absolute wonders on a render.

Wait now, if done well, 3D renders are generally accepted as potential official art? Well then, I should try that out, I have a bit of a skill for 3D after all.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's possible. It depends on if we can get results that fit in well. ;)

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Let's not jump off the deep end here guys. I did the render because I said I was going to. It's not an indication that 3D assets are going to be directly imported, and shouldn't be taken as such. I spent hours today playing around with shaders and render settings, and didn't have a single one jump out as something that could appropriately blend in with the 2D style. That said, I'm going to keep trying, since finding one good shader could answer a lot of questions surrounding this. Until then, all 3D renders are reference material for detailed 2D remasters.

And yes Compsense, proper lighting and ambient occlusion are amazing things. I wasn't giving MaximusDM a hard time just for the hell of it; what they bring to the table is dramatic.