don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I've been experimenting with a lens shader that looks promising. If I can get some nice looking renders out of it, 3D will become a lot more inviting in a hurry.

Until then, everyone just chill out. Last I checked there was still plenty of art that needed people working on it instead of arguing over it.

2. NAC

NAC

Operation Neptune 2011
    Should we have a poll or something concerning various graphic styles?
    I mean, there appears to be a conflict between super-realistic shading (mostly with machines, such as this one; mad props, btw) and a simple remaster of the original graphics, like just what characters look like. 2.5D (whether adjusted or not) could go nicely if done appropriately. :)
    Also, how will the background interact with the foreground or the characters? Will it be 3D, 'cause it goes well with parallax scrolling?
    And then there's the special stages with their OpenGL and whatnot... but that's not as related...

I guess what I'm really asking is despite what art has already been done, should artists be stocking up on their .3ds, .mb, and .blend files, or should they be more concerned with vector? This comes into play more if the project ever hopes to be scaled more than 4x. Not sure if that's going to be in the cards, though. If so, the graphics could just look more "flash video" like (fewer shades of color, even more cartoon like), because scaling-up the files that we have now wouldn't do it (not that they were made to, of course), and blurring it doesn't look too hot...:

[​IMG]

3D programs can make shading and multiple perspectives easier as well as export images at any size. With metals, one could just change the refraction / reflection index to keep continuity, so I'm all for [some] 3D CAD utilization. All just food for thought.

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hi Nac, welcome to S2HD forums!

At the present, we don't have support for an higher resolution than Full-HD (1080p), so all the current art is intentionally developed to work with antialiasing, on a 4X resolution scale.
    I.e. [​IMG]

As per concerning the overall Art style, in order to present the absolute best, most of the current art is under heavy tests (and upgrading / redrawing, where needed), performed these days by S2HD Staff artists.

One last word, is spent on future 3D tile / object remastering support, which is currently presented as conceptual-only stage at the moment.
    If you wish to present us your skills on CAD or anything related to a metal shader, (perhaps a 3D EGG-matic, or any Badnik) you're welcome to take the challenge! ^^

-Vincent

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    No. We've already been over this at length.
    See previous answer. Well, mostly. The special stages will almost certainly be done in 3D.
    When either I can find or someone else can produce a toon shader that can blend well with the art direction, we'll consider it. I've tried using my main program, Softimage XSI, for just that purpose but it's toon shader will not render properly for our purposes. I'm going to look at doing it in 3Ds Max as well. If someone wants to experiment with Maya or another package, please do so.

5. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    I hope I'm doing this right, as this is my first post in these forums, also making this my first contribution to S2HD. I tried to follow the guidelines as close as possible.

It's Whisp, from Aquatic Ruin Zone. Hope you like it.

[​IMG]

I hope to contribute as much to this project as I can in the future!

6. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    Welcome to the forum Cerulean Nights, and thanks for taking an interest and making a contribution to the project.

I'd say you were off to a fantastic start here - the shapes share a strong relationship with the original sprite and that's a nice bit of artistic license you've taken there with the wings - it's paid off! The two main things to think about off the back of this is firstly, trying for smoother shading now that you've got the core tones down and also to consider possible ways of adding more detail to the Whisp in the same way that you did with the wing patterns (I.e. showing the legs to be visiby segmented perhaps, bolts at joins on the body work - have fun with it!).

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Indeed, as the main badnik and bosses artist, I like it! The shapes are great I must say, but I'd like to see it a little less "toon" and more metallic maybe? For example, the...legs, you can add a little gradient over there to make it more shiny. Its your call. Check out my monkey (Its in the last pages in the badnik and bosses art thread) and see what I mean.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Amazing.

I agree that it needs more work to look more metallic like the body work of a car or something but overall is fantastic. I'm looking at it from a distance to get the full effect. The wings design are a fantastic idea. Looking forward to see what else you do to it.

9. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and I'm glad to see you like it. I see what you mean about it being more metallic, and I'll get to work on it.

I have one question when making art for this project. Does it need to be done as a scalable vector, or just 4x the original resolution?

10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It only needs to be at 4x scale for this. Everything gets converted to raster before it goes into the game, but keeping the source file vector and/or as editable as you can make it if it's raster would be a good idea just so it can be changed if needed later.

11. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Thanks, that will be good to know for the future.

I updated the Whisp to look more metallic, and added some features here and there. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I made the image larger so you can see some of the smaller details, though I doubt they'll be noticeable at the smaller resolution. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

12. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Shaping up nicely. I would try adding some higher contrast highlights on there that kinda follow the curve of the body and maybe some highlights along the darkest edges to brighten it up a bit.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Whoo and you spruced it up really fast as well.

I've just thought it might look even sweeter if the eyes have some kind of hexagon pattern on them, like this.

[​IMG]

Providing they curve round the sphere of the eye that is.

Also I've just noticed. The eyes are out of proportion of each other.

14. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

So am I correct in thinking you want something more along the lines of this?

[​IMG]

Yeah, I was thinking about making the hexagon patterns in the eyes, I think it would look neat. I wanna get everything else done before I try that though.

What do you mean the eyes are out of proportion? Do you think his right eye is too large?

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah that looks good for the rim highlights. My issue with the round highlights is that they blend in and they make the body look matte instead of shiny metallic or plastic like it should be.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Yeah that right.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    You've got a nice hand there.
    The whisp badnik looks very promising and metal shading is neat!
    Please do consider the following:

-Add a sharp contrast or reflection to the nose + head part (yellow & black parts)
    -Adjust the right eye (it's too big)
    -Apply the hexagonal patches

Don't forget our in-game sprite size, before adding small details!
    What looks right in higher res, might look a mess in-game.
    (either resize your vectors then pixel preview with Illustrator, or resize with Photoshop)

Welcome to S2HD forums, Cerulean Nights! :)

18. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Thanks! I have been making sure to scale it down every once in a while to the correct in game resolution to make sure everything looks right, I actually had to redo the legs a few times because they looked like crap at the smaller resolution. It still not perfect, but getting there.

The three suggestions you made are actually exactly what I was working on ATM. Just gotta finish the hexagon patterns.

I have a question about the S2HD database. Is that thing kept up to date? It seems like there are a lot of things with a red dot next to them, but when you click it, someone has made art for it. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to know if a sprite is already being worked on? I have been reading through all of the forum topics, and there's a lot of stuff in them that aren't in the database.

EDIT: Here it is. The eyes turned out better than I thought they would. I changed the background color so you can see the wing transparency.

[​IMG]

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  20. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    That is fucking amazing.