don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

Not too bad, about half of them are rank S.

As for Bodyguard act 2, I couldn't stand Tails drowning in the water, so I controlled him with the second player keys and flew him to the upper path as I climbed up the wall. Turned out to be a tad bit easier.

2. NHY

NHY

I was sold the moment you said you made Robotniks Revenge!

This hack is freaking hard! You have no idea how tempted I am to use save states! But it would take away from the challenge of the game so I am playing honestly.

This is my progress so far;

[​IMG]

Yeah, got an A in side kick 1 first go! Sidekick 2 is just mean seeing how easy it is to die there. the A in time attack 1 was a second run, my first was an E, I think.

Excellent hack, though.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    xD I'm sorry dude, but look what Dark Sonic got on Tag Team, A-S-S! xDD Sorry, on topic as for me, I am having trouble with Tag Team, I 'F''s and I am having trouble with the last Tag Team mission. And I still haven't got an "S" ranking yet, but still trying. And I'll post a pic up later of my progress.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Tag teams actually aren't that hard. Basically treat the levels as if they were time trials. Ice Cap act 1 is pretty easy, you can basically remain as Knuckles the whole time, save the boss and some events where Sonic's jumping and insta shield come in handy. In Sandopolis act 2 it's important not to get hit by the ghosts, one easy way to avoid them is by revving up the spindash against the thing you have to push to open the doors. For some reason you keep moving the thing. As for Marble Garden, it's easiest to take Sonic's path, using Knuckles to break through walls whenever necessary.

Actually I love tag team mode. Switching back and forth was a brilliant idea (Although I thought it was going to be Sonic and Tails ala Sonic 2:Tag Team). Shame that Sonic's moves are kinda useless. What I do not like though are the electrocution stages.

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
  6. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    [​IMG]
    This image alone made me download. PLEASE put in a 5 character slot hack.

7. Robjoe

Robjoe

Well, this sure is a pleasant surprise! Not only is the hack itself fresh and inventive, but it's also Sonic 3! Truth be told I fuck with Sonic 3 myself from time to time, but that's just level layouts and pallettes. This, meanwhile, shows a good amount of coding and work, so hats off to you! As simple as some of the challenges are, they're all a lot of fun, despite me knowing the levels like the back of my hand at this point. After two nights of playing, I've done the following:

[​IMG]

From Tag Team act 2 to Ring drain act 2, I got a streak of S's on my first runs, so go me, I guess. In fact, speaking of Tag Team, that's probably my favorite of all the different challenge types. I'd give anything for the ability to pick two characters and go through the whole game with them. Or hell, since there's at least three buttons, and you only need one for jumping, you could easily have all three of them at once.

The only ones I'm having trouble S'ing are the Ring Grab ones. In HCZ2, I've grabbed almost every ring I saw and still got a C, but then agian, I had a whole couple of minutes left on the clock, so I just need to detour more often and grab some from other routes. CNZ2, on the other hand, I can grab plenty rings in, but the six minute time limit makes it nearly impossible to both grab them AND finish the level. And even when I did make it to the end with a good amount, all I got was an A, and I finished on the very last second. Tell me, what are the requirements for these two stages? (And while I'm at it, Tag Team 1 is kinda hard to S as well, but now that I know to fight Sonic and Tails's boss, I can probably make it.)

All in all though, great work. Looking forward to whatever it is you cook up next! =)

EDIT: Forgot the screenshot. Go me.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Really? I fought Knuckles' boss and I still got a rank S.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    Nothin under rank B. Can't complain

9. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    I finally got around to playing this and I love it! Oddly I like the sidekick levels! I still haven't got to all the levels yet but I am working my way there. Awesome work!

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sooo close to all rank S and unlocking that final final boss thing. Although I still need both rank S's in the Vandal missions. I hate those D:

EDIT: Got all rank S. Let me just say, final boss act 3, pure brilliance. Definitely worth it, it's quite a laugh. I'm not telling you guys what it is, it's too awesome, you'll have to find out yourself

EDIT 2:
    I got to say that was an intensely fun hack. It didn't change the game too much but it put a whole new breath of life into a game I've played to death by making me try the same levels I've been playing in different ways. Please make more of these, for like Sonic 2 or something. Or make a Robotnik's Revenge combining all the bosses from all 4 games. That'd be epic :D

[​IMG]

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    The final boss is a big disappointment... be warned!

Still though, love the journey. :D

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What are you talking about the final boss is epic lulz all around.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I only played a few levels (up to about the first vandal level) and did fairly well on them but overall? I couldn't get into it. I don't know why. I just got up to Vandal 2 and got really bored. The mission formula just isn't working for me I guess, since I'm too used to just dicking around in the levels without a real goal in mind. I've gone through Sonic 3K alot and still do as it's one of my favorite games, but to me... this just sort of sapped the fun out of it.

It's a great hack and all, but it's just not doing it for me. Good job, though.

14. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Right, so I think I've done pretty well, I managed to S rank a lot of shit mostly legit too. I have played the final boss, it IS epic.

That being said, I will admit to some trickery. Primarily, I abused savestates while playing Vandal 2, but only the first time, when I was trying to figure out which path produced the most gains. I have since played it totally legit and S ranked it.

Ring grab, however, I still can't seem to get that one right. In the end, I ended up abusing savestates AND slowdown and I still only just barely managed to complete it with an S rank. That one will take some practice, or at least I need to look at some level maps and figure out which route is optimal for ring collecting.

Also, not my best run, but I figured you should be alerted to one tiny little itty-bitty whoops-there-goes-your-s-rank collision problem:
    [​IMG]
    If you reach the exit and are standing on the ceiling, you had better hope you weren't holding right. Else you might fall into that invisible hole in the ceiling.

15. IcePak

IcePak

Awesome hack. It's rock hard, meaning there's hours of fun to be had out of this old game yet.

Robotnik's Revenge was fantastic too.

Keep up the great work.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I agree, it was quite the disappointment. :P

Though still a great hack all around.

17. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Aww... I thought that challenge was a nice little reward! :( What the hell were you guys expecting, a fully 3D Doomsday Zone? Actually, that's not a bad idea...

18. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Does anyone have a youtube video of the content I've missed? Spent ages trying to play the final battles...but apparently Save States on my Kega don't allow you to play the challenges after you play one on the reload. They reset and you lose your data.

Brilliant hack. I just feel I'm missing the best bits.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Is anyone going to let on what it is? Even a spoiler tag description would do...

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    + - Tails, Tornado, Doomsday  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.