don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The Challenges

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    This is definitely a great hack and leaps and bounds ahead of Robotnik's Revenge! I love it!

I wish I wasn't so difficulty-retarded though. I could only get as far as the unlocked 8 completed challenges... It's just too hard for me. It's lots of fun and very creative and fresh, but the difficulty ramping in this compared to Robotnik's Revenge takes the fun from me. I'd love to get as far as the third final challenge, but at this difficulty it'd be completely impossible for me... I know it's asking a lot, but is there any way you could tweak it so that it has a customizable difficulty setting? Maybe even a "Kids' Difficulty" for those who are completely retarded given difficulty settings?

I understand the ramifications in advancing difficulty and the relevance it has in this game, but when you're faced with something that is completely enjoyable but are unable to proceed easily unless given endless hours and hours of practice and constant failure, it takes the enjoyment from the game and distances a likely small but important group of individuals (those like me). I don't know if its just my own overt laziness or if I'm just handicapped considering other video games (I've only been able to beat a few video games in my life, two of which are Sonic games... usually that which is not Sonic, I'm absolute rubbish at... never really getting past the first level in most cases). Hell, just putting in a "handicap" setting for someone as horrible as me in a new release would be awesome...

2. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    It's stuff like this that makes me wish expansive gameplay was featured in official rereleases of the older games. This is great! Thanks!

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It doesn't seem to be saving ranks properly on Gens/GS r7_pre3. When I start it, it shows an "A" rank for Ring Grab 2, but then it doesn't show any ranks for anything else after I complete the challenges. Gens/GS doesn't indicate that SRAM was used, either.

This is probably a bug in Gens/GS (though SRAM works with other games), so I'm going to try to figure out what's causing it.

EDIT: It works in m6. Now to git bisect Gens/GS and figure out where I broke it.

EDIT 2: Found it. Commit <a href="http://gs_server.gerbilsoft.ddns.info/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gens.git;a=commitdiff;h=7ee34fae205f2bf69357b41bd15959ae39313efa;hp=c85a5264cfbd2e3f73a034299639809e67185437" target="_blank">c85a5264cfbd2e3f73a034299639809e67185437</a> broke it, because I forgot to byteswap the values from the ROM header. >_> (You may ignore this post now. :P)

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    10 S rankings so far. But there's no way in shit I'm gonna get all of them!

Damned if I'm giving up though.

5. This is beautiful in it's simplicity yet originality. The only detractor is how much damaged it has done to my self esteem by making me realize how much I suck at Sonic 3k.

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I haven't even got one S ranking... the highest I got was an A. Fuck and I can't even get close to beating the Sidekick mission, or Tag Team for that matter. And when it comes to normal S3K, I'm pretty good at it. But this, damn. I haven't thanked you yet for making such a challenging hack, so thanks! :thumbsup: I will not give up on this hack, that's for sure.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    I hate Ring Grab and Sidekick. :(

8. [​IMG]
    At least I have one S Rank n_n On a hard'n to.
    Play it more tomorrow, but I don't expect any more S Ranks. Also, Gravitation is goddamn hard, but I think I'm beginning to see what you are getting at with this. Same with Tag Team.

9. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Fuuuuuuuucccccckkk!!!!!

Nearly there chief.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yeah I got you guys there.
    I will say however, that trying to cheat Ring Grab won't work as good, because Knuckles'll just give you a game over. In order to E it, I used debug mode to get to the boss area.
    How you did this was interesting. Boss Attack 1's Knuckles "clone" was impressive. How hard was it for you to relocate the LBZ2 boss?

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    [​IMG]

The second vandal challenge is honestly a little dull.

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Not that hard really. The ONLY one I had trouble with was Final Battle 1. And that was only 5 tries itself. I guess playing the game all the time for the past 15 years gives you that kind of skill.

:P

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Well, this time Sonic survived jumping on to the platform, but then he got hit by an enemy! He then proceeded to move nonsensically until TIME OVER.:(
    This was in Sidekick 2.
    Edit: Also, are the spikes in Gravitation 1 supposed to not hurt?

14. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Hey bud!

Could you tell me how the fucking fuck you get S ranks on the ring stages?

I got 212 rings with 1:50 to spare!! and for my efforts I get a d.

peace!

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Ring stages give you a rank based on how many TOTAL rings you have collected by the end of the stage. Time is not considered at all.

16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Finally got past Sidekick 2, but not before a few more Sonic movement fuck ups.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Ohhh right, gotcha!

Cheers pal.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, it's best to have 300 rings by the end.

Also of note: those playing ICZ2's time attack should stick to the slightly lower routes as they seem to be a tad faster. However, you'll want to hit the springboard platforms after being launched from a couple loops. That way you won't end up in the platforming segment with the ice jets and water, which is a really annoying bit.

Not sure which part of Death Egg 2 is better, though. TAKE THE FORK TO THE RIGHT AT THE START.

19. Amazing hack, and kudos for providing such a challenge! As previously stated, it would be helpful to know what the S-rank benchmarks are.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Aaaaaand I'm done!

First of all, I'd like to say this was a fantastic game! I loved being challenged once again by what I consider to be my favourite game (next to Sonic 2 and CD). And knowing this is a hack of Sonic 3 and Knuckles just blows my mind.

Sooo after all that struggling today, I FINALLY got to the last level.

And what do I encounter, but EVERY SINGLE BOSS FROM SONIC 1-3K. Well, that would've been nice... except it was a bit of a letdown really considering the effort it took to get there.

Aside from that, Jesus Christ! Thank you for this Colin, and thank you also for Robotnik's Revenge (which still rocks my socks off).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.