don't click here

Proof of Concept Mecha Sonic hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LazloPsylus, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I love Eggman's sunburnt look, now that I can actually play the boss without it crashing =P

2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    I updated the link at the top with a new build with the ending music fixed. There are still two sprites in the end that are still Sonic sprites. I think I have a replacement for one sprite, but not the large end one where he jumps with the "Sonic the Hedgehog" text appearing next to him. Any suggestions? I know I can't make a replacement, so if a new one should be made, I would need someone to do it.

3. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I must be invisible.
    Granted, I didn't make those, But they might help anyway.

4. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    I did see that. That is where I can pull one of the sprites. The issue is the large one at the end when Sonic's next to the "Sonic the Hedgehog" text. I don't have a suitable replacement for that sprite. The other one is easily replaced.

5. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

Hi-Res of another sprite on that sheet?

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Most of the costume sprites on that are ugly.

7. By a stroke of luck...I have completed Labyrinth Act 3 with no glitches.

It is just HELLA HARD, and there is only one route completable.

And thats not including the BOSS...

I amaze myself.

8. I was wondering If I could show your hack on YouTube for publicity?

I would play and beat the beatable levels. It could also show some how to beat the levels.

I'm asking you first to make sure.

9. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    That's fine with me. Just give credit and please send links. It should help some, and I want to see the hack played by someone other than me.

Oh, and before I forget, if I can get some code working, and all of it works well enough, there might be an update with a Super form within the next couple of weeks.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I think its better to keep the level layout unless it is absolutely nessesary to change it. I like the idea of playing through SOnic 1 with a new character and not a hack.

11. Cool. I have made my 1st video already (Thank you, Fusion AVI logging), and it will be uploaded to YouTube tonight under my profile under the same name.

Basically I went through Green Hill Zone in its entirety and a Special Zone to boot.

I will divide this up into Zones, so up next will be Marble Zone.

Oh and also, as I will be showing all acts in every zone, I will also show the ones that CANNOT be beaten, and where you will get stuck.

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Good. That will be useful for finding where the layouts must be adapted for Mecha Sonic. It should only take minor patches to fix the issues.

And just for sake of organization, the current distributed build is s1mecha v0.2.

13. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Wow. This is a truly awesome hack! It's fun to play as Mecha Sonic.

I've noticed funny things sometimes happen on the Green Hill Zone loop the loops, and also on the loop tunnels. Some levels aren't yet completable without using debug mode, as has been mentioned. Nevertheless, this is a great hack and I hope to see it grow with more of Mecha Sonic's features!

Eggman looks rather odd, though. Looks like he got baked a few times over!

Blackhole, I'll second what you said! Adding Mecha's super form would be truly epic.

I have an idea for that. Well, in Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Mecha Sonic gets his super form power from the Master Emerald, right? So, why not have it so, instead of collecting Chaos Emeralds in special stages, change it so that in each one, Mecha Sonic can collect a fragment of the Master Emerald? And when all of the fragments have been collected, it completes the Master Emerald. Thus, this gives Mecha Sonic the ability to transform into super form! That'd be totally cool, but I have no idea how difficult it'd be to implement it.

I'll also second the suggestion for Knuckles to be the person Mecha Sonic fights, instead of Eggman. I've always thought Knuckles could be easily put in as the boss, seeing as some of his sprites are quite fitting to use as a boss, if you cropped them and whatnot. For example, Knuckles has those laughing sprites (Y'know, the ones you see when he opens a trap, or does something traitor like.) which you could use to replace Eggman's laughing sprites when he reveals a weapon or when the player's character gets hit. Just another idea.

Oh, and I've thought of yet another idea, regarding Mecha Sonic underwater. Okay, I know this may be quite hard to implement into the game, but it would be awesome if Mecha Sonic had a time limit underwater. However, he isn't losing breath, but having water get closer to his mechanics. So, after a certain amount of time, Mecha Sonic starts to sparkle, to indicate that the water is starting to leek in to him. The sparkling would get faster and faster, and unless he gets out of the water, he'd eventually collapse (Die.) (Using the sprites from when Mecha Sonic gets defeated in Sonic The Hedgehog 3.) and continue to sparkle. I'm not sure whether you could replace all of the 'bubble spawning' points with an out-of-water hub like thingy, or just keep the 'no 'bubble-spawning' points system, as it is currently. I dunno.

Well, after playing this quite a bit, this has proven to be a very good hack so far. Best of luck developing it! Good job so far! Many thanks if you implement any of my ideas and other people's good ideas. :thumbsup:

14. ok just so you guys know there will be a fix in ALL of the levels that are unbeatable with Mecha to where anyone who can normally play Sonic 1 can complete it. I have been asked by Iron Sonic to work on the layouts of the Troubling levels while he focuses on the coding.

The palette is the way it is because of Mecha. It is not something I S is concerned about now.

I S is working on adding Super Mecha.

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    This is pretty kickin.

Might I suggest using Egg Robo instead of Eggman?

16. That would actually be pretty cool. Dunno about the pallete work needed, but it seems better than Sunburned Robotnick to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.