don't click here

Proof of Concept Mecha Sonic hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LazloPsylus, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Newfound Potential Member
    Maybe in a few of the spots where Mecha can't fit through, some of the blocks could be breakaways.

Pretty impressive technical achievement. The green banner doesn't belie anything.

2. Scrap Brain and Final Zone Uploaded.

And thats it for the video series. Hope you guys got something out of it.

3. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Hmm, being made of steel, Mecha would be capable of plowing throw the stone walls of early stages; as well as structurally compromised steel in SBZ, I think it might actually work out logically as well as functionally.

4. Well...A YouTube comment said there was another way through Scrap Brain Act 3 that I didn't know about...and it got me all the way to the springs at the end.

BUT...there is a problem...you can't go to Final Zone! When you hit the springs, it should take you to Final Zone right?

Wrong. Mecha just bounces around, hitting the ceiling.

So Scrap Brain Act 3 is still uncompletable.

I don't plan on making another video/reuploading it, but I thought it should be known.

5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Very interesting issue. That could possibly be fixed along with the other issues, since it seems Mecha just isn't completely passing a level trigger to initiate FZ. Moving it down should fix it.

I can try to do that, although I'm not sure if other tiles like that one will also act that way. I'll look into it, though.

The fixes are coming along, although slower than I would like. Hopefully by the end of the month I should have the fixes done and ready for release.

6. Also one quick question...is there an official name for this hack yet?

I used for my videos one contender, and the other was used for the Wiki:

- Mecha Sonic the Hedgehog

- Mecha Sonic in Sonic 1

Also an Idea to fix Robotnick's sun burned..ness.

7. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    Mecha Sonic the Hedgehog for the win.
    Mecha Sonic in Sonic 1 sounds strange.

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Even though that Mecha Sonic sounds better I think Mecha Sonic in Sonic one fits better, since it will fit in with the other hacks such as Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Tails in Sonic 1. =P

9. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    I think that to keep continuity and simplicity, the title will be Mecha Sonic in Sonic 1.

As for replacing Robotnik with EggRobo, I can't do sprites, so I would need someone else to do the sprites if I were to add EggRobo in. I can add them in, but not make them.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Do you mean making them or putting them in? If you mean making them, I'm sure you could get them from any sprite site. If you mean putting them in, how did you put Mecha in?

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Erm.

IIRC, Eggman's only animations in the game were driving his hovercraft, standing, jumping, laughing while standing and running. Most of those are in S3K, so couldn't you rip those and cobble the jump out of his Sky Sanctuary flying sprites?

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    I'm working on it now, but it looks like I'll have to do some sprite editing to put EggRobo in, because of the Sprite size differences and shading differences. I may end up just porting the entire Eggmobile over, as it seems much easier, but then the palette may be even worse. I'll experiment and see what happens, and report back later the results.

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    If you want the EggRobo sprites from the SCAA then just give me a shout and I'll upload them.

14. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    My comment, just so everybody knows. I have a different name on Youtube. Here's a video of that route if anyone gives a shit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sgINMRtfQ

15. Another user proved that Labyrinth Act 1 is in fact completable, contary to what I said in the video series.

Yet another path I didn't try:

LINK

16. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Yeah, that was me. I meant to post it in this thread also, but I forgot. I will also note that the lack of good video logging for linux emulators is shameful. I had to use a crappy screen recorder that didn't support recording audio from the audio out and there was much desynching. This is why I use GensMovie for all my other videos. I really ought to go re-do that video with properly synched up audio, but I'm too lazy to.

17. And with that, 3 Zones are completable with Mecha!

Green Hill Zone
    Starlight Zone

And the EXTREMELY unexpected Labyrinth Zone!

Also may I inquire of this hacks progress?

18. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Close. Just a few things left to do. Hopefully it will be ready by the end of the month, since I have another ASM project that I want to get to working on.

19. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Guess what! I finally managed to upload a proper video recording of LZ Act 1 as a video response to my previous shitty recording of it! If you've seen the other video, nothing new here. If you haven't, I suggest watching this one instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJIoz9u68TM

20. I just found a couple minor bugs.

When Mecha gets the Super Sneakers, beats a zone, and enters the gold ring, the special stage music is sped up.

When Mecha stop spinning in one of the Green Hill breakaway tunnels, you get stuck.

Also when he is kneeling on the Labyrinth conveyor belts, he passes through rings and doesn't collect them.

Just to note them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.