don't click here

Proof of Concept Mecha Sonic hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LazloPsylus, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    I made this on the side to prove a point to a few friends, and I decided to release it here. So, without further delay...

<a href="http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s1mecha1.png" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?aznl5iznyf1" target="_blank">Download Here (v0.2)</a>

This is basically Mecha Sonic with most of his collision fixed. Nothing too fancy here. Going around loops does some odd things occasionally. There are places where Mecha can't fit. There's also several other bugs and crashes throughout the ROM. But it serves it's purpose of showing that larger characters can be used in Sonic 1.

2. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Great! This is actually a lot of fun to play =P
    EDIT: oops!
    [​IMG]
    I just hit the GHZ boss a few times.

good job anyway, though!
    Also, you can't fit through the crushers in marble zone,
    I'll probably be back with more little nitpicks =P

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Thats a pretty cool ROM. Please fix the sega sound, and the palettes, I hate them. I noticed that the jumping sprite is reversed, when ur facing left while standing, the jumping sprite will face right and vice versia.

4. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    <!--quoteo(post=314969:date=Jun 2 2009, 02:53 PM:name=Hanoch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hanoch @ Jun 2 2009, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314969">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and the palettes, I hate them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The palettes are the way they are to accommodate Mecha.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I noticed that the jumping sprite is reversed, when ur facing left while standing, the jumping sprite will face right and vice versia.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, I didn't notice that. I could fix that in a little bit and reupload if you like.

<!--quoteo(post=314968:date=Jun 2 2009, 02:53 PM:name=Mr. Mash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Mash @ Jun 2 2009, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314968">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: oops!

I just hit the GHZ boss a few times.

good job anyway, though!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did notice that issue and will try to fix it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, you can't fit through the crushers in marble zone,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I mentioned before, there are places where Mecha simply can't fit. That was one of the areas that I noticed Mecha wouldn't fit. The worst areas are in LZ.

5. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Hah, reminds me of Eggman the Dictator. Interesting, I'll give this a go.

6. This is an awesome hack! I have always wanted to play as Mecha!

I'm AMAZED HE STILL WORKS IN SPECIAL STAGES.

Ok... now Flaws:

When running straight down along a wall, unless your spinning, you will go straight through the floor and possibly die.

The beginning cinematics don't look right.

Possible Edits:

His "Looking Up" Animation could be changed to the pose when he is standing on the Master Emerald going Super (without the electricity of course)

His "Falling" Animation should be the one used when he is done being Super in S3&K and is falling back to the ground.

The title cards could be changed so that it says "Mecha Sonic Cleared Act 1"

The Title Screen could also be changed to "Mecha Sonic the Hedgehog", with a possible sprite change from Sonic to Mecha.

I personally think his "hit" animation should be changed to his brake animation on the water slides. (the one which looks like he is falling)

When he gets the Speed Shoes, you could make it so he has his Jet on (the one he would have on if he was Super)

His Super form with all Chaos Emeralds would be awesome too.

Also, because he can't get through certain levels, I'm going to list the levels he CAN complete.

Mecha Sonic Compatible Levels

Green Hill Zone

Marble Zone Act 2 (requires getting through the Lava with glitchy results) + 3 (Take the upper route through the hill)

Spring Zone Act 2

Labyrinth Zone Act 2 + 3 (These both are VERY HARD and require precision and patience to win)

Star Light Zone

Scrap Brain Zone Act 2

Final Zone

That is all....for now.

7. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I actually found this rather amusing.

I found a bug though:
    [​IMG]
    When you fall down from the first circular spinning disk, you fall though the tunnel and get stuck in the wall.

8. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    <!--quoteo(post=315052:date=Jun 2 2009, 06:01 PM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Jun 2 2009, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315052">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is an awesome hack! I have always wanted to play as Mecha!

I'm AMAZED HE STILL WORKS IN SPECIAL STAGES.

Ok... now Flaws:

When running straight down along a wall, unless your spinning, you will go straight through the floor and possibly die.

The beginning cinematics don't look right.

Possible Edits:

His "Looking Up" Animation could be changed to the pose when he is standing on the Master Emerald going Super (without the electricity of course)

His "Falling" Animation should be the one used when he is done being Super in S3&K and is falling back to the ground.

The title cards could be changed so that it says "Mecha Sonic Cleared Act 1"

The Title Screen could also be changed to "Mecha Sonic the Hedgehog", with a possible sprite change from Sonic to Mecha.

I personally think his "hit" animation should be changed to his brake animation on the water slides. (the one which looks like he is falling)

When he gets the Speed Shoes, you could make it so he has his Jet on (the one he would have on if he was Super)

His Super form with all Chaos Emeralds would be awesome too.

Also, because he can't get through certain levels, I'm going to list the levels he CAN complete.

Mecha Sonic Compatible Levels

Green Hill Acts 1, 2, + 3 (The final boss doesn't work properly though)

Marble Zone Act 2 (requires getting through the Lava with glitchy results) + 3 (Take the upper route through the hill)

Spring Zone Act 2

Star Light Zone Act 1, 2, + 3

Scrap Brain Act 2

Final Zone (Ending music stops yet plays one tone when you beat Robotnick...play and win this level to see what I mean)

That is all....for now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was intended to be a proof of concept, but posts like these push me to continue working on it and possibly finishing it.

I was also surprised that the special stages worked without tweaking. It is one of the few things that still works just about perfectly. I like most of your suggestions for what should be added or changed. The Super form is not a new idea for the hack. In fact, a portion of code for a Super form is written already, but turned off for now. The jet animation is going to be used for the Super form.

As for the Title Screen art, I will admit right now that I am not at all good with art. The sprites were ripped by a good friend of mine, Maxd, and the odd sprites like the skid sprite and death sprite were also made by him. I only did the implementation into the ROM and the ASM. Unfortunately, he is too busy to help me with art this summer, and so I'm somewhat short an artist. If anyone is interested in helping, please PM me.

EDIT: For Anthall's bug, I think it mainly has to do with the fact that Mecha Sonic in a ball is larger than Sonic's, and the tube was never meant to handle larger objects, as well as the fact that the way that Mecha is dropped into the tube puts him just outside of the collision edge of the tube and leaves him outside of the tube, making him fall through because he's not following the collision of the previous tiles and the collision doesn't know how to handle that.

9. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I love how he doesn't need air. But I kinda half expected his spindash to go backwards. And like, only have 8 hits to die instead of rings protecting him.

10. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

<a href="http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nintendo-6444/Projects/mechasonic_gen_domenico_nov08.png" target="_blank">*Click*</a>
    Those could help, I guess. Otherwise, I like it, unique concept.

11. Added Labyrinth Act 2, as it is beatable.

Takes a few tries, requiring precision and patience.

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    I just updated the download with a new build with the GHZ boss fixed. Some of the swinging ball code was out of alignment.

13. And with that I removed the side comment for it on my list. Thanks a bunch!

As of now the only 2 zones completely 100% playable with Mecha are Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone.

EDIT: Also, will this go in the Wiki?

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    <!--quoteo(post=315117:date=Jun 3 2009, 05:30 AM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Jun 3 2009, 05:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315117">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: Also, will this go in the Wiki?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Done: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Mecha_Sonic_in_Sonic_1_(Proof_of_Concept)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Mecha_Sonic_in_Sonic_1_(Proof_of_Concept)</a>

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Time to Grow Up. Resident Jester
    Japan
    Hahaha, that's pretty neat, I enjoyed playing that if I do say so my self =D

collision problems as you explain, but meh, good enough for my entertainment

16. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Thanks for notifying me of the post, Iron... :( Anyways, it's been posted publicly. Yay!

17. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I hope you don't give up on perfecting the hack. Its interesting. I wonder if you plan to add his moves from SOnic 3.

18. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Academy City
    <!--quoteo(post=315232:date=Jun 3 2009, 02:19 PM:name=MathUser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MathUser @ Jun 3 2009, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315232">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope you don't give up on perfecting the hack. Its interesting. I wonder if you plan to add his moves from SOnic 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Based upon the response to this, I'm not going to give up on perfecting this. Adding the moves from Sonic 3 doesn't sound like a bad idea. I may do it.

Now, since I am going to continue the hack, I want to know this: do you all want me to keep the original layouts or make new layouts? I can do it either way. I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks would perfect this.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I say add his Super Form (even if it's merely a pallette change, invincibility and super shoes). And yes, new layouts would be good. Perhaps you could have him fight Knux in and Eggmobile.

20. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

& Knuckles Member
    I think you could start by making it so the game is completable with Mecha (e.g. fix the MZ Pillar part, LZ small tunnels, etc), then consider making unique layouts for him. I mean, this hack is a rather nice concept, it's a shame I can only get to SYZ1 without getting stuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.