don't click here

General Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by test-object, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    People will just stop, spindash, get better prizes.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's harder to slow down from spin dashing. Odds are that the player will overtake the starpost by too much if they do that (especially given how jumping from rolling works).

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    True, long as this game has the same unable to move jumping out of a roll movement.

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Then you have to be careful where you put them. If you put them in a spot where you are moving slow and can see them before you get there, you can do what Diablohead described with ease. You could put a hazard behind the post, but now you're thinking like new age Sonic team. And besides, going back after tripping the post would be annoying, and players would have already trained themselves with the old games that the portal dissipates if it goes off screen. Just don't do it, alright?

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Tried something a bit different (and fixed the wrong frame):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lamposts too can lose weight:
    [​IMG]

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I still spin the rotating star inside the Starpoll would be a much better idea than a spinning on, the movement is more unique. :colbert:

7. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    You're not the only one.
    I was thinking that maybe the star appears only when the bonus stage is opened.

8. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    I hate to double post but:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Can't have a Sonic game without them.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

I like the coloring of the Chaotix rings better. They make the rings seem more golden than yellow, and they are SUPPOSED to be golden.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  11. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    There hasn't been a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2.

wink wink*

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sonic Adventure 2 a Sonic game? Blasphemy; it's maybe a Knuckles or Robotnik game at best.

And feh, even Black Knight has them, they're just hiding in apples and barrels and pots.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'm just thinking, should this game have some sort of imagenry space target to achieve when it comes to the final size of the package? The true sonic 4 would not have shit tons of memory or ram to work with, but I understand that this game is not on the megadrive so :P

But buttery smooth animations, 20 frame rings and springs might be going overboard and become too fluid.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't think it should. If it were made on the Saturn it would have at least 700 MB to play with, right? Even the Sega CD has a lot of space, and I really don't see a point to try and keep this within the Genesis size limits. Nothing else about this project is really sticking to the genesis restrictions.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Not everything is going to have a target of fluidity, just mainly the important things like the character art, you know, the ones you see the entire game.

Also, for the love of God people.

Spiritual Sequel not Rehash on the Genesis.

God damn you.

16. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Some concept drawings I had lying around, could be of use :3

[​IMG]

17. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    They're nice. :(
    Have you thought about their abilites? If not I have ideas:
    the gorilla robot can charge towards you;
    the chicken can use it's "legs" as springs to jump higher;
    for the camel I have no idea.
    I also like the idea of a badnik which takes 2 hits untill it's defeated but it should be only applied for 1 or 2 badniks.

18. Matwek

Matwek

If you're going to have badniks that take more than two hits then it might be worth having them act like the little jumping mushroom things, there would have to be a definite way of showing you've hit them at least once.
    At the risk of bringing up another debate it might be quite nice to have a 'damaged' robotnik sprite as well as a 'destroyed' one. first four hits he looks normal, then from then on he looks damaged till the final hit where hes destroyed and flies away. Like they did in Sonic 3D but with only the 3 sprites, no need to add one for each hit.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    New "damaged state" sprite, short flickering and a "damage" sound that you hear in boss battles should be fine.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I hate the idea of multiple hit badniks. Reminds me too much of Sonic Heroes.

Could really slow down the gameplay.