don't click here

***Tech Demo Second Release!*** (postbugfix)

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    My GeForce 7300 GS can support OpenGL 2.1 quite well, so nVidia cards can support that =P

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have a ATI Radeon 9800se with 128MB of DDR on AGP 2x and its way inferior to what Sik has for example, yet I get quite good results...

I'll try to determine minimum system requirements for the demo sometime... 256MB of RAM, 400MHz CPU... can't really determine the GFX card, my ATI is the weakest card I have around which can actually run games.

3. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    What confuses me is why I would need such high system requirements to run this. I probably won't get a chance to try it out, considering my computer is hardly the sort of supercomputer required to run this on, judging by people's accounts.

4. Obviously four times the Sonic means four times the Blast Processing.

Unfortunately most modern computers lack that amount of Blast Processing.

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually it's sixteen times, as it's 4x in both coordinates =] Also the CPU lacks a VDP that renders it all automatically. Also it's running on top of a multitasking system, using lots of APIs and drivers to access the hardware, and it uses a lot more of RAM. In the end, it does make sense.

Yet, it renders too few stuff to slow down so much >_>

6. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Is there no way to significantly improve performance? If I'm getting fairly low fps with my bog-standard graphics card in the demo, then the full game will be unplayable.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Ok, so I just tested it in Wine 1.1.6. The DirectInput8Create() bug is gone (NOT related to shaders at all). The title screen and demo level have graphical glitches, but that's probably a Wine and/or driver problem.

However, when I turned shaders off in winecfg, the glitches went away. Which completely blows your "it requires shaders" comment out of the water. Please stop responding to my questions with bogus information with regards to shaders.

8. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    It doesnt currently use the shaders but when thay want to add in effects such as, water, sparks etc it will require the shaders.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    As I mentioned before, please read before posting. LOst specifically said that Tech Demo 2 *does* use shaders. (I've confirmed this by testing with shaders enabled and with them disabled, and there is a difference.) That isn't even the problem. The problem is blaming a completely unrelated problem (DirectInput8Create() failing, which has to do with keyboard and joystick input) on shaders.

10. RamiroR

RamiroR

So for GeForce IV should work too, I had that card and it doesn't have any Pixel Shader, I remember it when I tried to emulate PS2:P

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, LOst made a minor mistake - my card IS a GeForce 4 (MX 440), so it should do.

12. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    For pixel shading? Nah. 420 and 440 MXs didn't have Pixel Shading.

13. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Guys what can I say! fucking immense!! It looks stunning and feels pretty damn good so far! I wish I could offer you guys something for this project but im no programmer or artist :(

Awesome work guys truly fuckin awesome! Id be happy if this and Sonic 1 Megamix were the only things I could play ;) (nothing against other great hacks btw)

14. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    I don't understand why the shaders are so slow - I'm making a game at the moment that uses a HDR/Bloom and blue & white compositor, and it runs at 120 fps on my laptop which is a geforce go 6200 - a terrible graphics card.

Are you sure your shader code can't just be optimised? I'm having trouble believing that a lot of these PCs would run games like Oblivion respectably, but would fail to run this - the textures aren't THAT high res, and shaders usually aren't such a problem unless you're doing some very advanced effects like radiosity or something.

EDIT: Oh, and you should add support for OpenGL rendering. The way I usually add support for multiple renderers is to inherit from a Renderer interface and implement the actual rendering code in the derived class, so new rendering systems can be added easily.

15. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    Keep watching future releases. OpenGL support may be something included in the future

16. TiagoJ7

TiagoJ7

Downloading the 2nd demo right now. :rolleyes:
    I've played the 1st demo too, and it already looks great. I can't wait to see more from this project.

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Tried it on 3 computers with ATI GFX cards.

Solid 60FPS on

800MHZ CPU with ATI Radeon 9200, 512MB RAM* (Yes, 800MHZ)

1.6GHZ CPU with Radeon 9600, 512 MB RAM

2.8GHZ CPU with Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5 GB RAM

And if you want me to try the first computer with its original clock (466MHZ), I'll do it.

*RAM isn't video RAM, it's the computer's.

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Please do!
    I am happy when it worked 60 fps on 800 MHz. That means the code is well optimized. The limit is around there for heavier floating point operations.

19. Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. (Oh, and if you're wondering where I've been, I've been skulking around on Starmen.net. :psyduck:)

20. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    First off, very, very well done, it feels like the original.

My input: Minor sound bug.

Not sure if this is the type of thing you're looking for, but when you begin charging a spindash, the sound that plays when you jump while holding down does not stop if you release the spindash, this is not the case in vanilla Sonic 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.