don't click here

S2BETA4 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
  2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    That savestate doesn't work for me...I hit the monitor and nothing happens. Is this an unmotified ROM youre using it on?

4. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    The WFZ boss acts diffrent too.

There is no boss music.
    The spiky platforms get destroyed when the laser touches them.
    After they get destroyed the spiky platforms keep coming out of where they first came from until there is 3 of them again.

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
  7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    The original colours for the Triceratops badnik were available on ICEknight's site, in the original Digitizer art for them. I don't know where these pictures are still available, but I do know that they didn't correspond with the first pallette line (Sonic / Tails's pallette).

However, the original art for them as pictured in the Digitizer art and found in previous prototypes actually appears green using the second pallette line in HPZ (Leftover GHZ pallette line, changed to accommodate Sonic 2 rings), and doesn't appear correctly using Sonic's pallette.

The ones in your picture, on the other hand appear differently, and do indeed appear to have been redrawn to use Sonic's pallette as the other badniks in the Zone do - interesting, since it suggests that they were still considering developing Hidden Palace further at one point and adding these badniks into the Zone.

EDIT: More confirmation that their art has been redrawn; the sprites found in previous prototypes used a cross-hatch dithering style on the grey area around the 'bot's horns. This dithering has been redrawn into a smooth gradient in this version.

Looks like this enemy wasn't abandoned as early in development as initially thought. Excellent find, Neo! = )

8. damien f

damien f

Banned
    don't no if any one noticed but when you play cnz2 in 2p mode just playing as sonic leaveing tails at the start. as sonic finishes speed the time up until you get time over wfz music plays and you get messed up grapics

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I'm confused about these codes for debug, when I put them in sets of two it turns out like this:

4A 78 FF FA 67 14 08 38 00 04 F6 05 67 0C 31 FC
    00 01 FE 08 42 38 F7 CC 4E 75 4A 38 F7 CC 66 06
    31 F8 F6 04 F6 02 4E F9 00 16 06 2

that's... not even and won't work... and 20 and 02 crash the game. Is it supposed to be 04 in the beginning? and please don't reply like I'm an idiot, I honestly just don't know.

EDIT:
    LOL poor tails:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=o3Yv4qWOtDg

10. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Looks like everything is correct up until the final jump at the end. I'm guessing the last set of 6 bytes should be as follows:
    4E F9 00 01 60 62

11. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    thanks, unfortunately when I removed all of the code I inserted, the game still crashed so I think the other part of the code is making it crash ;_;

12. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    The game will crash if you only have the changes at 0x16056 written. That change tells the game to jump to this section of code at the end of the ROM, so unless you write this code in correctly as well, you're going to get a crash. One thing to make sure of also is that you overwrote the data at 0x16056, rather than inserting it.

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    thank you Nemesis, it worked =D
    does anyone want me to upload the edited ROM?

14. Shaonic

Shaonic

I do.

15. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  16. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Forget about ROM patches. They come from a time when everyone was paraniod about being nailed by SEGA for distributing copies of their games, and most people were running on dial-up. I think this release from drx proves that neither of these things are a problem anymore.

17. SonicAD

SonicAD

Oldbie
    Small differences found in CPZ 1:

Beta 4 [​IMG] Beta 5 [​IMG]
    Final [​IMG]

The Wai beta had nothing there either, like in Beta 4, but showed the characters behind the wall properly, whilst Beta 4 has them in front. Beta 5 added the items (2 1-ups and a super ring), which remained like that until changing to the Invincibility and 2 super rings in the Final.

18. celebi23

celebi23

Thanks man but, how do you get to the debug menu?

19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  20. celebi23

celebi23

I saw that & thank you, but, how do I access the debug options while in the game?