don't click here

It's coming...

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    It'd be interesting t see if the Sonic & Knuckles protos can lock onto Sonic 1 :(

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't really see how they'd be able to—Sonic 2 & Knuckles was handled by a separate UPMEM chip on the cartridge, and a potential Knuckles in Sonic 1 prototype would work the same way. They wouldn't room to put that kind of stuff on the main cartridge.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Sonic 3C would be distinguishable by its fancy solid gold cart plating as demanded by Yuji Naka.

So SEGA just gave him another Ferrari, a secret Ferrari that transforms into a robot, as a way of saying "no".

4. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I remember reading a similar speculation on a few common cheat code sites for Sonic 3 back in 1998 (or around that time).

Unfortunately I don't have any links which stated this (other than what was printed from it at the time), and couldn't find it on any search engine. Obviously either because whichever sites that had the information no longer exist or was eventually corrected. Thought I'd mention it still just for memorable purposes :P

5. D-1337r!

D-1337r!

Sonic 2 Prototype C - maybe SGG Prototype, for Solid Gold Guide, the mag with this proto? (I mean, with THIS level select), like "Nick Arcade Proto" for the show where this proto appeared.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I don't think I have the Solid Gold Guide prototype, funnily.

7. But you appearently do have the Manual Prototype, right?

9. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    We have a magazine referring to it as "Sonic 3 Limited Edition"; that may not have been the final name, but it's still a reference.

Regarding all the S3 versions name stuff, what you guys are proposing is basically the following: "Hey, now that we have the official in-house development names, let's ignore them to make it easier to remember!". I guess (or I hope) you see my point.

Regarding the Sonic 1 & knuckles proto - We may not see the whole thing if it was ever developed in these prototypes, but I'm positive we'll be able to at least find evidence at code level if it really made it at some point. Guess we're about to see.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What I wonder is if the Sonic 3C protos have two headers inside the ROM (one at the beginning, one by the middle), being really two locked-on ROMs in one, like the final Sonic 3A+B.

11. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I doubt it- S2K was on a seperate chip, right? Why would S1K have been any different?

12. For all wondering guys, he means this: http://oerg866.freezoka.com/sonic3.txt, original articles can be found in this thread.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...mp;#entry175086

Greets
    Oerg

13. Streak

Streak

I'm glad I got that inactive email now. This is awesome, great work.

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Nope, it's a solid, continuous, Sonic 3 version. Lock On was started being developed after 3C had been discontinued, it's clear when you look at the protos.

15. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    The Blue spheres game was coded right inside S&K - if they had a separate chip at some point for Sonic 1, we'll see the code jumping to an external area instead of running the blue spheres game. That's just a guess, though.

16. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I don't like to request, but... any chance of a video from any of Chaotix protos before the release?

17. Hahaha, this really made me laugh. Today is the big day, and I don't know about you... but I'm ready to start playing these games. =D

18. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    well, today is going to be a good day it seems, hope all goes well :D

19. Alright lads! PENIS. I'm looking forward to these prototypes.

20. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    I dunno if I'm just stating the obvious or what, but in the video of the Sonic 3C 0408 prototype, when Tails or Knuckles picks up the "S" monitor, the ring counter stays at 0 until another ring is collected, then jumped up to 51. Side-effect of their super modes not being implemented?