don't click here

Knuckles + Tails in S3K

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Just found this glitch:
    [​IMG]

I wonder is it possible to have Knuckles with Tails in normal game, afterall they share the same pallete. Esrael made this possible in S2 in his Delta hack. But my childhood dream was to have Tails carrying Knuckles, just like he carries Sonic. Is it possible?

2. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    You'd just need to change which Character variable tails is paired with most likely but digging through S3k is rather hard at the moment.

3. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    RobJoe already has done it. He has not released it yet though, to my knowledge

4. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    He has, I've been to his house and checked it out myself. I believe it is actually a simple byte exchange. But, I'm not to sure on this one, but I think you get Blue Knuckles, I forget.

5. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    what id really like to see is sonic and knuckles...I know its impossible due to pallates but that would be one sweet hack

EDIT: Spelling.

6. Ah, the wonders of character selections beyond 03.

Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong here, but that sounds like it's loading the "Knuckles" player object with Sonic's palette.

Wow. I never thought I'd get used to Firefox's new auto-spell-check so quickly. That short aside out of the way...

Load up Angel Island, Mushroom Hill, Hidden Palace, or Sky Sanctuary and tell me what you see.

Granted, this isn't the same thing as the Knuckles player object, but the player object would need modifications in order to be used in place of Tails anyway so why not make a few changes to the sprites?

Edit: Ah, sorry if I sent the wrong message about the spelling; I was more amused with how many words I spelled wrong on the first try than anything (without spell-check I'd never spell palette right).

7. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    LOL sorry about the spelling. And obviously yeah I'm talking about full player control with all knuckles' abilities etc. The computer uses a different pallate for baddie knuckles, but shares a dynamic pallate with Sonics for the player controlled knuckles, obviously you'd have to make it so you can actually play as S&K togeather in the first place but under the current pallate you'd get a blue knuckles.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, Stealth already made a Knuckles sprite set that uses Sonic's palette (albeit with blue socks), so it might not be that impossible.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Actually, all different character combinations are available in Sonic Advance 3. But we know that game sucks. Sonic with Pico Hammer? Oh my...

I WOULD really like to play as Knuckles + Tails combo in S3K. Any ideas, guys?

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That Tails+Knuckles in MGZ isn't a bug. Knuckles can easily go to Sonic's path, I also posted a video on Youtube about that: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LyE4tem3ICQ

Then, take a look at this post: StephenUK is working on Sonic+Knuckles in his hack.

Also, this is a bonus pic for you:
    [​IMG]
    Savestate is available if you want. I'm sure that a tech member can figure out how to complete the "trasformation" from Sonic to Knuckles. All I could get was a Red Sonic with K?T?E in the life counter, I'm sure there's not much more to do to have a playable Knuckles+Tails couple.

edit: links

11. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Not impossible at all. I've sorta got Sonic and Knuckles together in an old test ROM ofmy hack, and had them noth perfect on the same palette line. It can be done, it's just not easy at all, and a lot of art will need to be edited among the objects to compensate for the palette alterations.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Actually, Knuckles can teleport there. There's a special thing about MGZ. In some places you can duck, then when the screen'll start moving you should jump and the level'll start warping around. This trick can be seen in this run (http://tasvideos.org/331M.html). In this run Sonic fights Knuckles boss in MGZ.

Explanation of glitch, actually:

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, I know about that "teleport" thing as well. It's not a "special thing", it's more a glitch in the graphic engine in those levels that wraps vertically, like MGZ1, ICZ1 (where Sonic can get to Knuckles' path), SS and others. The point of my video was to show that Knuckles can get there without the need to use a glitch or something. Everyone knows that glitches and debug mode can make you do impossible things, I instead prefer when something unexpected can be done without screwing up the game.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Not if you do what Stealth did. He just used the existant first palette without altering it. Knuckles does look more red than usual, but that even makes him more similar to the way he looks in the artwork (besides his new blue socks).

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I might just be being niave here, but can't you just swap the object pointers of Sonic and Knuckles together? That'd be a quick and dirty solution to getting them both together...

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Watch this space.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes that would work, but then tails will have wrong colors though.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So then you edit the pallet line to compensate for the changed colors... simple. All that would really do is change Knuckles' socks, wouldn't it? :P

18. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Tails doesn't have his own palette, he uses a small part of Sonic or Knuckles's palettes, this part is identical in both, so it'll cause no problems. Just look at the picture in my first post.

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, Knuckles and Tails can coexist. When you play as Knuckles, Sonic's colors in the first palette line are replaced with Knuckles' ones. Tails' colors, still in the first line, aren't touched. Sonic (or Knuckles) takes the low indexes (I don't know how many), and Tails gets the high ones.
    When Knuckles is an enemy instead, he uses other colors from another line.

20. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I knew the oranges were used when being knuckles..(robot explosions) I don't know why I put that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.