don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Lambda

Lambda

There was a fan render of Sonic at the end of the trailer. Maybe they took it down to edit it out?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Mr. Cornholio

Mr. Cornholio

Huh. Neato! I'm glad there are more ways to play Mania being made available...

...I just wish it wasn't restricted to a game subscription service. I'm a little skeptical on the longitivity of that. My perception on that lasting has been skewed more by the Sega Forever updates of the mobile ports just needlessly bloating the experience.

That and yeah the decomp seems like a nicer way to handle things.

Unrelated to the mobile port news:

Honestly throughout the entirety of Mania's campaign, I was under the impression the Hard Boiled Heavies and Eggman were collaborating throughout the adventure. I always took the Eggman cutscene post-Green Hill as him saying 'Alright enough fooling around. Back to work!'

The Heavies don't really try to fight Eggman in that cutscene after he takes the Ruby away. I don't think we know or it's ever seen who's opperating the claw that extracts the Phantom Ruby from underneath Angel Island, so I always assumed Eggman beat Sonic to the punch and was trying to dig it out. Heavy King just either takes offense to Eggman bossing them around or goes mad with power, and sees an opportunity to overthrow Eggman right at the end ala Neo Metal Sonic.

I don't think the effects of the Phantom Ruby are ever made terribly clear. Forces and bits of Mania imply the Phantom Ruby creates illusions...but I assume the illusions themselves are real or manifest themselves into reality? I never read the IDW comics, so I'm unsure if explanatons are provided there, but Encore Mode's opening shows the HBHs are still in their new forms. So I assume the Ruby permanently altered them?

It also seems like an easy way to retcon Sonic 4 explaining how Metal Sonic got off Little Planet. You can just say the Ruby revived him and Eggman was able to rescue him after that.

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'm not aware of any elaboration from IDW, but I recall Forces making it pretty clear that its Phantom Ruby makes illusions that you believe hurt you so they hurt you (Matrix rules, essentially, but AR instead of VR). I like to imagine Mania's Phantom Ruby is a different beast and actually warps reality, myself, (I don't think it's too big a stretch when the two versions of the gem have completely different origins.) though that detail of the Knuckles intro bit someone pointed out does throw that off a smidge.

Either way, I'm sure the real answer is "they didn't think it through", for better or for worse.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Mania PR is supposed to be one of Eggman's prototypes that somehow got to the Classic world/timeline/era/whatever.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Does anyone know when the mobile port of Mania is being added to Netflix?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Something is not right here.

7. oh boy yeah, word on the 'tube is that this thing is hot garbage.

8. Mr. Cornholio

Mr. Cornholio

...At least it seems to run adequately while in-game? That was my primary concern and it seems to run alright there.

Though yeah the UI is...surprisingly nasty considering how nice the other ports were in terms of organization/touch screen functionality. Seeing the 'MANIA MODE' text jerk around so much is just odd.

I don't have a Netflix subscription so I was kinda out of the ballpark for this one.

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    oh wow weirdly enough this reminds me of the mobile version of Sonic Spinball from 2008. You had tap the screen so hard just to register an input lol

10. Axanery

Axanery

I have updated the RSDKv5U Extractor to accommodate the mobile release of Sonic Mania: https://github.com/Axanery/RSDKv5UExtract/releases/tag/v1.4

Most of the changes to the data include:
    - New objects, mostly for touch and cloud saves
    - Touch controls (done by Lab42)
    - New scene files for the menu (they took the original menu and just separated the entities, even keeping placement and scene size intact)
    - New images (Netflix, etc.)
    - New credits (the port was done by SOA and Lab42)
    - New languages (Polish, Turkish, Portuguese (BR), LATAM Spanish)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Does it have controller support?

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'd hope so, considering how hideous the other Retro Engine games have been to play on a touch screen...

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I know it's several years later, but my phone that could play the mobile S1, S2, & SCD releases seems unable to play this port. Though in my defense, I never bothered to test out any of the decomp ports to Android.

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Playing the original mobile ports with touch controls wasn’t bad at all.. in fact, IMO they were pretty flawless until they got wrapped up in SEGA Forever bullshit.. plus due to the modern phones having bigger screens, they decided to stretch them out to 20:9 which was a big mistake.. should have left the games as they were at 16:9 by default

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    In fairness, I'm not slighting the Retro Engine games specifically. ANY game that tries to emulate a specific gamepad using on-screen controls plays awfully, it's the lack of haptic feedback (like, not specifically vibration/etc, but being unable to feel where the "button" ends). Having to look at buttons to press them is a nightmare in a game where you need to have quick response times by looking at the actual game. Never mind that you're covering half of the screen up by doing this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Agree to disagree. Whilst not ideal, the Sonic mobile remasters had very solid touch controls (pre-SEGA forever bastardisation). They never required you to look at buttons to press them, because they were adaptive and the control scheme of Classic Sonic games is as simple as a D-pad and a single button.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    For the Retro Engine games it was actually the d-pad specifically I could not get along with - I did try. This is why I was so happy when Origins was announced, with versions of the games I didn't have to fight with the controls over.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd say the controls in the mobile remasters were decent for what they were, but the games weren't made to be played with virtual touch controls.

Wasn't that reviewers' main criticism of the remasters? That the games were ill-suited for the touchscreen controls?