don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, they restart the fight about 4 times. Also, there's a Chaos Emerald loose in the void now, someone might want to address that.

I know Shadow is holding the Chaos Emerald of the restructured Green Hill, but since the Shatterspace happened, the old Chaos Emerald still exists.

2. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Pretty sure the idea is that they simply restored everything to before the Prism was shattered, so it's the same Green Hill and that is the same emerald.

Anyway, yeah, the show's pacing was always one of its biggest issues. I was wondering how they were going to make 6 episodes of

building an army to fight Nine and restore the world

and the answer was... "they couldn't, really".

But all in all, it was a good show. Excited to see what new cartoon they'd make. I doubt it would be a sequel to Prime. I DO hope that they can afford more assets...

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So the events of Sonic Prime didn't happen, then? Nine just wiped his and everyone's existence out?

4. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Effectively yes, but they came to terms with it and becoming part of the "original" selves The boon is that Sonic developed into being more conscious and aware of his friends' needs, which was the crux of the divide between him and Nine.

It's otherwise a completely self-contained story.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    We seem to have watched two different shows. The entire ending was Nine rebuilding the Shatterspaces and Green Hill being restored, nothing about them all refusing into their original selves, they even say they'll get themselves home.

6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Are you talking about the explosion at the end and the giant shadow?

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The whole thing where Nine rebuilds the Shatterspace, the red, green and yellow crystals fixing themselves in place, and one of the Amys, I think the captain? telling Sonic they'll get themselves home while he makes for the reformed Green Hill

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yeah the way I understood is that Nine found a way to keep the Shatterverses and restore the prime verse/Green Hill to an earlier point in time, hence why the prism vanishes from the Grim. Like Blackhole said the others mention returning to their own home.

9. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    So I guess it's more accurate to say the events of Prime didn't effect "the main universe", but the other universes still exist and could come back.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Which means there's a Chaos Emerald in the void that Shadow dropped during the Shatterspace events.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

No proof for this but I think the Chaos Emerald was zapped back when Green Hill and the Prism returned to their places. Just that for dramatic reasons Sonic and Shadow had to take the long way back.

They made it a point to show that if the Prism was shattered again on that last scene it was going to be bad. They also returned to an earlier point in time in their own universe.

So by not shattering the Prism means Shadow and the emerald did not end up in the situation they were in, hence no emerald in the void anymore.

So the events did happen, Sonic and Shadow remember, the Shatterverses and their character exists now, but situations, the other characters and elements (like the Prism and the emerald) reset on the Prime verse.

Don't really see the writers envisioning having an extra Chaos Emerald in the Shatterverse.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Damn. So was the last part. It's such a weird thing to complain about because it's genuinely great at what it does, and it's not a cheap move, but it's actually pretty exhausting when all is said and done.

13. Kyro

Kyro

The episodes were fine but it was exhausting having 6 episodes of nonstop fighting. Whatever, decent show I guess and the animation was still pretty great

14. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    I did not have a Gemerl return on my bingo card for 2024.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Being honest, I don't think the writers envisioned much at all. I don't even know why they introduced the Chaos Emerald at all, it does nothing. And no, Shadow doesn't need it for Chaos Control, he can do that just fine without:

0:42

Alas, it was a disappointing end to a disappointing series in my honest opinion.

16. Honestly the Emerald was introduced to keep Shadow disconnected setting up his role in the story. Don't think it was anything more than that and they wrote it out quick so it didn't interfere with the plot in any way.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Except as I pointed out, he can Chaos Control without one. It was introduced literally in a rock, then written out as soon as possible for no real gain since Shadow could've done what he did anyway.

18. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    They wrote and demonstrated the Chaos Emerald as the source of his Chaos Control powers, and by removing it, nerfed Shadow for the sake of the story.

No, that is not accurate to how the games depict it (sometimes... SA2 made it very clear a Chaos Emerald or something of similar power is needed, but later games implies he just... becomes strong enough to do it alone), but the way the show depicts it is to clearly demonstrate when he is able to use that ability. For people who are new or don't know much about Sonic, they will understand that Shadow is not capable of teleporting without that Emerald, which keeps his fight scenes grounded.

Personally, I am completely fine with this, though I did constantly wonder "so he's getting the Emerald back and he's going to use it in the final battle or something, right?" But nope. It was just gone until the end.

19. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    When I read that it was going to be mostly fight scenes, I thought I'd be able to skip parts, but the show kept putting character moments between them, so that wasn't going to work. Still, it was really drawn out, and I don't want to watch it again.

And yeah, the ending just happens. Weak. Then again, it's not like it could have happened any other way, I guess.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Last year, I watched a few season 1 episodes, then stopped, waiting for all 3 batches to drop.

I think it will be easier to take on in a longer session, since I had some major issues with the early writing and 'some' casting choices (though it's no fault of any of the actors, in fact they're all either well established talent, or they're doing a really good job with the direction given, it just breaks my suspension of disbelief in a few cases, especially for Eggman).

Hopefully, I can find the show more enjoyable the second time 'round. I do see some potential at least.